Coming round full circle, someone commented that they rarely had a failure .  That would also have been my answer a few months ago having uploaded around a thousand files, but beware....it could be you next !  .  We all like to think we are fantastic photographers but for me content is the important thing closely followed by quality .  It's no good seeing that super backlit shot and fumbling for the tripod .

That was probably me. I may well be next (I was caught out 9 months ago after 5 years without a failure). But what I will say is that although content is the most important thing when the viewfinder is to my eye, if the resulting pic ain't got the quality then it doesn't go anywhere near Alamy. Full stop.

Alan

How about the thousands of images that land on Alamy from other

really is it so necessary to have razor sharp images?

A library that doesn't edit for content has to have some standards. By ensuring that you meet certain minimum criteria they're also ensuring that you are serious about your work.

Alan

Oh là là!

How about all those thousands of images that land on Alamy from other agencies? They apparently don't get QC'd at all by Alamy? I'm sure that more than a few of them are a bit on the fuzzy side.

John, if I was even occasionally failing QC I sure as heck wouldn't be the slightest bit interested in "other agencies". I'd be looking at what I was doing, not what they were doing.

dd

Of course. That is what I was implying in my responses that followed the one you have quoted. The point I was trying to make is that Alamy's standards don't end up being applied to a lot of the images that end up here because it accepts so much stuff from other agencies. I'm not complaining about QC failures BTW, just discussing them.

• 3 weeks later...

Looks like I've got my first QC failure this year, uploaded 22 images on the 27th October and they're still waiting QC - Have re-examined the files, shock horror when I realised that I'd missed a dust spot, and another could be argued as being SoLD - must've been having a bad day. Oh well I live and learn!!

Martin

www.windmillskies.com

John "I just delete images failed by Alamy (i.e. I don't resubmit them), but it would be relatively easy to get them here via another portal/agency. Seems to me like a silly game to play, though, and probably counter-productive in the long run."

Things are very subjective, I had a batch rejected with the first image saying noise within the same batch were images that have already been sold by myself for use in a number of magazines at half page size without a problem. On this basis I won't delete them. If one image in a batch is a fail then by all means reject that one image, do not take the lazy back log control view of rejecting the whole batch. The only thing rejecting a large batch does is demotivated me from bothering until I have nothing better to do than upload some images. Perhaps the way forward is to only upload single Images and not batches, this way only the "fails" get rejected, creates a lot more work on both sides, but stops a batch of potentially good images being rejected for the sake of one.

John "I just delete images failed by Alamy (i.e. I don't resubmit them), but it would be relatively easy to get them here via another portal/agency. Seems to me like a silly game to play, though, and probably counter-productive in the long run."

Things are very subjective, I had a batch rejected with the first image saying noise within the same batch were images that have already been sold by myself for use in a number of magazines at half page size without a problem. On this basis I won't delete them. If one image in a batch is a fail then by all means reject that one image, do not take the lazy back log control view of rejecting the whole batch. The only thing rejecting a large batch does is demotivated me from bothering until I have nothing better to do than upload some images. Perhaps the way forward is to only upload single Images and not batches, this way only the "fails" get rejected, creates a lot more work on both sides, but stops a batch of potentially good images being rejected for the sake of one.

Guess I wasn't clear. Sorry. I only delete the one (usually) image from a failed submission that has been tagged by Alamy as soft or whatever and then recheck and resubmit the rest, unless of course I find similar problems with any of the others. I don't trash the whole batch. That would be counterproductive.

Guess I wasn't clear. Sorry. I only delete the one (usually) image from a failed submission that has been tagged by Alamy as soft or whatever and then recheck and resubmit the rest, unless of course I find similar problems with any of the others. I don't trash the whole batch. That would be counterproductive.

Beware the new policy I've fallen victim to recently of only flagging one image with a fault. Others may also be faulty. In the past if there were two, they would both be flagged. Not any more.

Beware the new policy I've fallen victim to recently of only flagging one image with a fault. Others may also be faulty. In the past if there were two, they would both be flagged. Not any more.

Fortunately, I haven't had any (touch wood) flagged lately. Not sure there's a new policy, though. I've almost always had only one image flagged. I make a point of going back and re-obsessing over all of them anyway.

I can confirm it.

I've twice recently had subsequent fails on the same batch. Once was for the same fault (ca)

It has always been in the small print that you should recheck the whole batch after a fail, but only recently has the policy been applied to me.

• 1 year later...

Hi folks. 

I'm totally new to all this, I'm trying to get on to stock photography market. I've submitted recommended 4 photos to Alamy, they fail me on one photo of Milky Way, reason? (soft or lack of definition)  Fair enough (it wasn't soft though or lacking definition, just a pure BS, there was a bit of stars trailing but then again I had about 5 stars falling down in this particular shot) Nevermind. I looked at my Alamy submissions and all photos are showing as "failed" except only milky way got a reason for failing next to it. Can I resubmit previous non failed photos? Or do I need to choose a completely new set

Thanks

Your first sub should be four very conservative images, f8 on a tripod, that sort of thing. Best to send a new batch unless you're sure of the other three.

BTW if it means what I think it means, QC is not BS. It's the one essential here, and if you can't pass, it's down to you.

Submitting here isn't a game.. It's a professional discipline and not to be belittled.

Hi folks. 

I'm totally new to all this, I'm trying to get on to stock photography market. I've submitted recommended 4 photos to Alamy, they fail me on one photo of Milky Way, reason? (soft or lack of definition)  Fair enough (it wasn't soft though or lacking definition, just a pure BS, there was a bit of stars trailing but then again I had about 5 stars falling down in this particular shot) Nevermind. I looked at my Alamy submissions and all photos are showing as "failed" except only milky way got a reason for failing next to it. Can I resubmit previous non failed photos? Or do I need to choose a completely new set

Thanks

I suggest that instead of labelling it as "bs" - learn something from it, whether you agree with it or not. Learn what is acceptable to Alamy, where the hurdle is. Most often though, after the initial annoyance of a fail has passed one usually come around and agree...painful, but true.

Hi folks. 

Thanks

I suggest that instead of labelling it as "bs" - learn something from it, whether you agree with it or not. Learn what is acceptable to Alamy, where the hurdle is. Most often though, after the initial annoyance of a fail has passed one usually come around and agree...painful, but true.

As others have said often before. Remember that Alamy is serving a professional market so as contributors we need to act professionally, even if we are amateurs.

In my experience Alamy QC is far from "BS". I have not had a QC fail in 4 years (~200 uploads) despite having submitted some deliberately challenging images that push the boundaries, blur, strange colour, etc. There was a discussion about the new contributor guidance (you have read it of course?) on what is acceptable to QC in the "Downsizing" thread. You might want to search for that as it gave some good insight into what constitutes SoLD.

Hi folks. 

Thanks

To answer your question. Yes, you can resubmit the three which just had fail on them with no reason, but I would take the information and advice given here by previous posters before submitting any more images to Alamy.

Archived