I've got lots of images which have sold well in the past, that are still relevant but buried behind newer pictures, stirring the pot might put them in front of potential customers eyes who haven't got the time to trawl through 10, 15 or 20 pages of 100 results

What would be a good idea would be to keep the ranking system exactly as it is but stir the pot of each individual photographer, i.e keep his or her images in exactly the same ranking position but jumble up their order. Many of us have a significant number of pics of the same subject, for example our own area, and it can be quite irritating to know that the best ones (or at least the ones we think are best) can get buried simply because they were uploaded at an earlier date.

This would enable the tree to be shaken without all the bad fruit falling into the basket.

Alan

I've got lots of images which have sold well in the past, that are still relevant but buried behind newer pictures, stirring the pot might put them in front of potential customers eyes who haven't got the time to trawl through 10, 15 or 20 pages of 100 results

What would be a good idea would be to keep the ranking system exactly as it is but stir the pot of each individual photographer, i.e keep his or her images in exactly the same ranking position but jumble up their order. Many of us have a significant number of pics of the same subject, for example our own area, and it can be quite irritating to know that the best ones (or at least the ones we think are best) can get buried simply because they were uploaded at an earlier date.

This would enable the tree to be shaken without all the bad fruit falling into the basket.

Alan

Nail on the head! Trickier to implement than a purely randomisation, but would drag the older but equally valid photographs in front of potential buyers

Yes, I think that is a great idea. Sometimes I hesitate to add something because I don't want it to appear before a favorite image or one that has sold.

Paulette

Edit: It would really be great if we could control the order of our own images. We could do it in Manage Images and change it periodically.

It would really be great if we could control the order of our own images. We could do it in Manage Images and change it periodically.

That's actually more complex than it might seem at first. Take a purely hypothetical image of a Rolls Royce in front of a mansion. One is taken from close up with the Rolls more prominent, the other from further away with the house more prominent. You would want one to come up first in a search for "rolls royce" but the other to come first in a search for "mansion". Multiply that by all the different combinations of subjects in your images and all the different possible searches and choosing an order is way more difficult than it seems!

Alan

It would really be great if we could control the order of our own images. We could do it in Manage Images and change it periodically.

That's actually more complex than it might seem at first. Take a purely hypothetical image of a Rolls Royce in front of a mansion. One is taken from close up with the Rolls more prominent, the other from further away with the house more prominent. You would want one to come up first in a search for "rolls royce" but the other to come first in a search for "mansion". Multiply that by all the different combinations of subjects in your images and all the different possible searches and choosing an order is way more difficult than it seems!

Alan

And do you really want to be editing ratings on many thousands of images everytime you submit updated images. Life is too short for that :)

Archived