As already mentioned the results I get are more than adequate for Alamy and compare well with results from my previous DSLR systems. 

I mainly use the auto setting which I believe doesn't go below 125 ISO.  This fit's in with David's advice for not using 80 or 100 ISO.

John

Any comments as to how I set my RX100 up for daytime shooting?

The camera is kept on aperture priority f8 with ISO on Auto. Obviously the camera also sets the speed.

Allan

Allan

I leave mine on full auto for general walk about shots - it always manages to produce useable results.  The sweet spot for the lens seems to be f5.6 and this is the aperture used by the auto system in all my daylight images.

John

The camera is kept on aperture priority f8 with ISO on Auto. Obviously the camera also sets the speed.

Allan

Allan

I leave mine on full auto for general walk about shots - it always manages to produce useable results.  The sweet spot for the lens seems to be f5.6 and this is the aperture used by the auto system in all my daylight images.

John

Allan

Hi John,

Just tried auto in the garden. It is sunny. The f readings from bright sun to dark area varied from 10 down to 1.8 with the shutter floating from 20 to 250. I have no idea what the ISO was but it seemed to be keeping the histogram within bounds. ISO is set at 3200max.

Take your point about the sweet spot and have reset my aperture to 6.3 and keeping it on ap priority for now.

Many thanks

Allan

I have got to admit I have been having great fun with mine today, but does anyone know if there is a way to turn off the bleep/chirp when the camera attains focus, I have looked through the menu and turned sounds down to 0 but I still get the irritating chirp...

Not sure Steve. Mine is completely silent. You say turned sounds down to 0 but sound options are either On or Off. Are you sure you altered the right setting? Menu >  2nd spanner menu.

Not sure Steve. Mine is completely silent. You say turned sounds down to 0 but sound options are either On or Off. Are you sure you altered the right setting? Menu >  2nd spanner menu.

Thanks Flintstone, followed your instructions menu>2nd spanner and success and now all quiet...once again thanks.

There is another 'Volume Setting' in the 'Playback' menu.  I think this one is for video volume when playing a clip on the camera.

John

yep that is the one that I had mistakenly turned down.... :(

Thanks Flintstone, followed your instructions menu>2nd spanner and success and now all quiet...once again thanks.

No problem. I have Gary Friedman's Complete Guide to the Sony RX100. So if your not sure of a setting or need info, send me a message or post here and I'll refer to the guide. (Or just ask David K :)

It's a good book for explaining all the settings for the camera. I have the kindle version on my phone, so it's always with me aswell

Don't use the 80 and 100 ISO settings - they just overexpose the raw slightly, and lose dynamic range at the highlight end. It's OK to use the 125 setting as your minimum, there is no difference in the noise level. I find the RX100 as sharp as any comparable DSLR with a comparable zoom - that is, a 28-100mm (or similar).

David, I think I got a taste of what you mean by this.  I had not read this post when I took my new camera out for a test shoot.  I tried a backlit shot of two portable toilets, and the sky was white in the middle and a weird shade of blue-green-lime at the corners.  Very unnatural.  Is this what you are talking about?  Getting ready to change ISO now.

Betty

No one on this forum was able to advise me of any experience with Sony warranty repairs.

I sent my RX100 to Sony for warranty repair, asking for IQ to be improved and door over USB port to be replaced.  

I contacted them on May 29 and got a job number and a Freepost address to which the camera was to be sent.   Posted the camera on May 30 and received it back today repaired as requested.

They kept me informed by e-mail throughout and the camera was returned in only 9 days.

Excellent courteous service – Very well done Sony!

No one on this forum was able to advise me of any experience with Sony warranty repairs.

I sent my RX100 to Sony for warranty repair, asking for IQ to be improved and door over USB port to be replaced.  

I contacted them on May 29 and got a job number and a Freepost address to which the camera was to be sent.   Posted the camera on May 30 and received it back today repaired as requested.

They kept me informed by e-mail throughout and the camera was returned in only 9 days.

Excellent courteous service – Very well done Sony!

Great news Peter and thanks for sharing.

Now you only have to stick the Franiec grip back on and you are away again.

Allan

Allan,

Unfortunately I messed up the Franiec grip, I could not find the right glossy paper and now have a terrible sticky mess of brown paper on it!

However I have now got a Lowepro Napoli 30 case.  The wrist strap folds nicely in the space where the grip would be and I put it round my wrist as I take the camera out.  So maybe I don't need the grip.   If I do I will have to buy some more double sided tape.

Besides the broken USB cover, I also told Sony that the IQ was unacceptable with soft edges, with the right hand side of the image being much worse than the left side.

I seemed to be alone with this problem, everyone else praising the IQ to the skies.  I was thinking that if this is as good as the IQ gets, maybe I should sell it.

Now I have had the camera back from the repair, and been able to use it for a few days, I am very pleased to say that Sony have fixed it.  The soft edges are no problem any more.

I really am very pleased with it now.

Well done Sony!

Hi Peter.

I'm glad Sony sorted your problem so successfully.  As I've mentioned many times already, I am more than happy with the RX100 results.

On one of mine, the ring around the lens isn't as smooth as my other one and is not so easy to use.  As it's still in warranty, can you explain the procedure for returning to Sony in UK and address please.

John

John,

On my camera I use the front ring mainly for fine control of zoom as the power zoom is a bit fast for me.  When I got the camera the front ring was very stiff, so much so that I could not use it for zooming, holding the camera in position with one hand while turning it with the other was impractical.  After a couple of months though it loosened up and is now very smooth and easy to zoom.    If you still have some time to run on the warranty, it might be worth waiting and see whether, like mine it gets better by itself.

To action the repair, I followed the links on the Sony website, The following  is from the first e-mail they sent me which tells you what to do:

Quote"

1. Go to http://sony.co.uk/support/en/repair

2. Enter the model number in repair option box.

3. Click on search.

4. Click on register your repair.

5. After you finish this process, all the necessary information and the details required to send your product for repair will be e-mailed to you.

If your camera has been purchased for more than 12 months, the repair will be a chargeable repair.

If your camera has been purchase for less than 12 months, please send a photocopy of the purchase receipt to us with the camera to process in-warranty repair (subjected to in-warranty repairs terms and conditions)

If our Sony Central Services facility (repair centre) diagnosed the issue with your camera as a physical damage, the repair will be chargeable regardless the warranty status.  Unquote".

This should get the process started for you, but if you have any problems with it, let me know if you think I can help.

Many thanks for your in-depth reply Peter - much appreciated.

The ring on my RX100 seems to be getting stiffer with one particular point where it is extra tight.  It all works fine but I feel I should get it sorted while still under warrantee.

Cheers

John

• 2 weeks later...

Good on you, Peter!  I'm presently immersed in a huge book explaining how best to use this camera.  Only a little of that information is soaking in, but rereads will help.  At least it explains what all the functions do, which is enlightening.  I call the RX100 my "spy" camera, nobody seems to notice when I have it out. :)

Good on you, Peter!  I'm presently immersed in a huge book explaining how best to use this camera.  Only a little of that information is soaking in, but rereads will help.  At least it explains what all the functions do, which is enlightening.  I call the RX100 my "spy" camera, nobody seems to notice when I have it out. :)

Just a suggestion Betty - leave it on full auto and get out there.  Every image I've taken and uploaded to Alamy has been on full auto - it lets me just concentrate on the picture and composition etc.  So much easier and excellent results.   Not one Alamy QC failure out of hundreds of uploads.  (so far :)  )

Just a suggestion Betty - leave it on full auto and get out there.  Every image I've taken and uploaded to Alamy has been on full auto - it lets me just concentrate on the picture and composition etc.  So much easier and excellent results.   Not one Alamy QC failure out of hundreds of uploads.  (so far :)  )

John, when you say "full auto" do you mean P for program or do you mean Intelligent auto or plus?  I've been shooting RAW, Intelligent auto, and have gotten some good results. I use LR4 to tweak a bit.  Only thing, sometimes indoors the shutter speed is so low that there is some blurred people.  I have 800 as the limit on my auto ISO.  I've always been such a stickler for low ISO that it is hard for me to follow the recommended high setting of 1600.  I have the low end at 125.  

Archived