And, John, hopefully no spots in the skies to find :-) I could do saleable work for Alamy with just the RX100 and a netbook, anything able to plug in USB and get the files. All keywording etc can after all be done after submitting. I do like to keep my local archive complete though, so I don't do that now.

Hopefully, spots in the sky etc should never be a problem but I don't know how well the RX100 is sealed against dust. I do tend to walk around with it in pocket so fingers crossed.

The only 'sky' work needed so far has been the removal of very distant birds which might have been mistaken for dust spots during QC.

Peter

At the moment, I am still uploading from RAW files.  However as David K has mentioned, the JPEGs are very good and are probably good enough to upload from.

I have to agree with David K on this and will probably change my workflow later to just work from JPEGs, which will save a lot of time.  I'm running the two formats side by side before I make my decision.

John

I had my first look at the RX100 over the weekend. It certainly is a nifty little camera. I would really miss the tilting screen, though, which I use a lot on my NEX.

Just wondering, how well does the "clear zoom" feature work? Are the results OK for Alamy?

You guys with your pockets full of cameras . . . as soon as I abandoned that idea I felt free to buy some good, light, small cameras, the NEX system in my case. If you could see what I have in my pockets, you would cringe at the idea of putting a quality image maker in there. 

• 3 weeks later...

Yes, you need LR4 (with updates) or ACR7 to deal with raws from RX100.  

Or you can always convert them to DNG and bring them into LR3 although it involves an extra step in workflow.  

It's a nuisance but soon you will get used to it.

Sung

Or you could go for PSE 11 but the RAW converter with that is a cut down version of that supplied with LR4.

I find PSE 11 and RAW converter sufficient for my needs.

Instead of LR4 hang on for LR5.

Allan

John and Peter.

How about an update on your use of the jpegs. I have been shooting in RAW since I have had mine. Are the jpegs a success? Are you still submitting them?

Just want to bring this question back to the foreground.

I took the rx 100 out for a try this afternoon and wanted to upload some images for other rx 100 users to look at, as I thought the ends of the frame looked a little soft but wondered if that was normal...but since Flickr has changed I cant work out how to upload from there, so has anyone got any ideas how from flickr to the forum please..

Thanks, Steve.

John and Peter.

How about an update on your use of the jpegs. I have been shooting in RAW since I have had mine. Are the jpegs a success? Are you still submitting them?

Just want to bring this question back to the foreground.

Hi Flintstone

I have submitted RX100 jpgs successfully and I must admit they can look better in some cases than I can achieve from RAW.  Because I have been working with RAWs for such a long time now I tend to stick my old work pattern.  I must get into the habit of checking my jpgs more.

John

I took the rx 100 out for a try this afternoon and wanted to upload some images for other rx 100 users to look at, as I thought the ends of the frame looked a little soft but wondered if that was normal...but since Flickr has changed I cant work out how to upload from there, so has anyone got any ideas how from flickr to the forum please..

Thanks, Steve.

Steve,

The extreme edges can be slightly soft but not enough to prevent acceptance by QC.  If you are concerned the file size is so large that you can always crop a bit off and still end up with over 50 mb files. Most wide lens I've had tended to softness at the edges including my Canon 'L' lens.

John

John and Peter.

I have uploaded a few jpegs all taken in easy, bright weather conditions.   Anything needing adjustments I work from RAW.   In good conditions the jpegs are often better than I can produce from RAW.   I have uploaded about 200 without any failures.   I had many other images from this camera which I though were not good enough.  

The blurred edges are much worse on the right hand side of the frame than on the left.  So I have downsized or cropped most of them.   I have sent the camera back to Sony saying the IQ is unacceptable, so their response will be interesting...

I hope it is OK to upload this many images in one post ( if not let me know and I will delete them)  I took the new rx100 out for a try yesterday afternoon, not to shoot stock images but just to try it out.. I took this image as it shows a bit of detail some shadows some sky, reflections nand some white on the building.

on getting home and uploading images to my machine I thought that the images look slightly soft to what I am used to ( normally use d700 and d300s with good lenses ) and I thought the images were extra soft on the edges, I got the rx so as I could use it for more discreet street photography and upload to alamy.. do the images look sharp enough for alamy ???

any other rx 100 user think they are about the same IQ as their camera's ???

The pictures were shot in aperture mode and raw then converted in lightroom 4 finished in ps the images were then reduced to 3650 pxls and 100% ( or thereabouts) crops taken then reduced to 800 pxls for uploading to the forum...

I would be great full for your views, as I may be paranoid about uploading to alamy from a different camera, or maybe the image quality is not as it should be and the camera will have to go back..

thanks steve.

8903076499_7e59986b6f_c.jpg

8903678848_b3a002c0d7_c.jpg

8903680228_1ac16146b7_c.jpg

8903681638_8251deb114_c.jpg

Dawn patrol does not sound to me like the sort of shoot where the jpg's would do for Alamy.  Let us know how you get on.

For Raw+Jpeg your right.  Jpeg Fine on it's own with DRO cranked up seems a lot better. Will do some processing tonight and update.

No this was shot handheld as that was the reason for purchasing the RX100 ( so as not to attract attention ). But I have been out again this morning in good light again and was shooting in raw at ISO 80  f/8.0  1/125s and are more than pleased with the results..

Looks like something mine would produce. Trees on the edge of the shot tend to show edge softness the most.

Was this shot on a tripod?

Don't use the 80 and 100 ISO settings - they just overexpose the raw slightly, and lose dynamic range at the highlight end. It's OK to use the 125 setting as your minimum, there is no difference in the noise level. I find the RX100 as sharp as any comparable DSLR with a comparable zoom - that is, a 28-100mm (or similar).

Archived