Fed up in the UK - where can I go?

Wells is somewhere I am "thinking" of tomorrow. I did it last year but I want a good shot of the west front. If the weather looks up for tomorrow then Bath is a good possibility too. I did a shot ages ago of the famous bridge that I need to redo. i'd also like to have some better shots of the Crescent if I can.

Oxford was visited last month when I was holiday. I want to go back but for my style of work I need to have better skies than there is right now. That flat white and featureless sky is killing me :wacko: 

We may head to Shrewsbury for a long weekend (motorhome) if I get a site booked. The weather across the country seems pretty grey for the next few days :( - it hardly seems to matter where one goes. A city seems to make most sense and use that big soft box to look in all those dark corners (find something scarce or unique to you) as has already been suggested. Even KM's Aberystwyth does not sound as though it will be especially scenic or even have big waves to make it exciting. You may have to find small pleasures where you can ;)

I may use the weekend away to do some writing instead.

You could shoot shoe shops - Salisbury being the shoe shop capital of the western world. Are there any other shops in Salisbury? Or you could call in and see my mum for me.  :) She's 100 and three quarters so don't party too late.

Don't know about shoe shop capital mate, but we seem to be growing a lot of charity shops!!!!

Oh, and Cafes!

Aberystwyth ?

(Or another town like Aberyswth ;-) )

LOL

I hate to think what KM would have to say about this thread (but I could make a pretty good guess! :lol:

Kumar

Obviously thinking along similar lines!

I suppose if Jools is looking for certain types of shots you might need some sunshine but I feel there are opportunities every where.

But good luck wherever you go Jools !

Driving around in frustration is a waste of time, money, and energy. Stay where you are.

Overcast skies? This is the best time to shoot normally high contrast situations like inside buildings, or inside the forest. The overcast light is not as contrasty, and will look great in inside/outside situations. The hot spots and shadows will be within the range of one shot. Shoot street scenes at dusk. The blue period will be longer on an overcast day. The ideal mix of ambient light from an overcast sky and artificial light from buildings will last longer.

DYE5W4.jpg

E78K55.jpg

Salisbury is hopeless as a city. Everytime a shop closes another restaurant opens up.

I'm staying at my dad's right now for the sake of convenience. I am itching to get out but don't want another day like today.

Cities and towns are appealing but I'm afraid that I have certain standards for doing them. Somewhere like Paris sells for me even if it's the most mundane looking shot. But here is a different story. I want at least some broken cloud and blue sky for what I do.

May get very bored and go and do the interior of Salisbury cathedral (again) tomorrow. I know when to go and not get relieved of 8 quid or whatever it is to get in now.

Salisbury is hopeless as a city. Everytime a shop closes another restaurant opens up.

I'm staying at my dad's right now for the sake of convenience. I am itching to get out but don't want another day like today.

Cities and towns are appealing but I'm afraid that I have certain standards for doing them. Somewhere like Paris sells for me even if it's the most mundane looking shot. But here is a different story. I want at least some broken cloud and blue sky for what I do.

May get very bored and go and do the interior of Salisbury cathedral (again) tomorrow. I know when to go and not get relieved of 8 quid or whatever it is to get in now.

Don't go near any high buildings!

Are you bored with Salisbury? Please go to Blackpool. Illuminations time :D

Are you bored with Salisbury? Please go to Blackpool. Illuminations time :D

Bored with Salisbury? I spent all of my life growing up in Salisbury. It took meeting my wife to find a way of getting out of the place.

Under the Newbridge Road bridge there is/ was a graffiti statement "this town kills its kids". I rode past it everyday on my way to the office and it felt like it.

Salisbury. Nice place to visit but I would never ever live there again.

Blackpool could be cool!

LOLOLOL :D

What I'm dying to know is what I'm getting from a certain other image library. The results of which will be out on Friday. 

Aside from tossing up various ideas of where to go, I'm sat here getting a look at a time lapse I did of Corfe Castle yesterday. I thought it wouldn't work but from preliminary scans it seems like it could turn out pretty good...and spooky ;)

"Blackpool could be cool!"

There used to be a great tradition where photographers, raised or living in the south of England, went to experience the harder reality of the north - From Humphrey Spender to Bill Brandt to Martin Parr, and many others.  Blackpool was certainly on the map.

There was an interesting exhibition in Blackpool back in 2011 that paid homage to this: 

http://www.theguardian.com/artanddesign/2011/jul/31/mass-photography-blackpool-review

Ed, the cloud here in salisbury right now is so hazy. Been like it all day!!!

Looking at the met office forecast I am tempted by the South Downs. Not too far to drive for dawn and not somewhere I have been to a lot.

I'm in Sussex this week. Hazy skies every day apart from one so far. I've taken hundreds of potentially great pics ('potentially' because until I get them into Photoshop on a decent monitor next week I don't really know what I've got). I've concentrated on finding subjects that look good in the light that's available rather than setting out with a metereological requirement and then whinging when it doesn't appear.

Alan

Under the Newbridge Road bridge there is/ was a graffiti statement "this town kills its kids". I rode past it everyday on my way to the office and it felt like it.

So is the graffiti still there? Have you photographed it? It might sound a bit self-helpy, but why not take a couple of hours to document as much of what you don't like about the place - get it out of your system :)

At worst, you'd be able to look at them and think 'at least I'm not there' any time you felt a bit despondent. You might even come across more disgruntled young people who could give you really cool editorial shots?

Btw, the same does not work for looking at payslips from the old job I hated. Sometimes see the old job through rose tinted payslips.

Sorry for rambling....

"Blackpool could be cool!"

There used to be a great tradition where photographers, raised or living in the south of England, went to experience the harder reality of the north - From Humphrey Spender to Bill Brandt to Martin Parr, and many others.  Blackpool was certainly on the map.

There was an interesting exhibition in Blackpool back in 2011 that paid homage to this: 

http://www.theguardian.com/artanddesign/2011/jul/31/mass-photography-blackpool-review

And of course in the National Geographic Magazine Jan 1998

http://www.amazon.com/National-Geographic-Magazine-Millenium-Blackpool/dp/B00IEQCTQ0

Or from the BBC News website:

'Ten Edinburgh pubs have had requests granted to stay open longer in the early hours of Friday.

The Carriers Quarter, Kilderkin, Phoenix Bar, Greenmantle, Golden Rule, Traverse Theatre, SNP Club, and Mash Tun will be open until 03:00 BST.

The Radical Road and The Stand will be open until 05:00.'

Funny, loads of them are open really late any day of the week. But perhaps the last two will be the place to get the most interesting shots.... Me? No chance! My days of 5am pub crawls are far behind me :)

Archived