Fed up in the UK - where can I go?

Ed, the cloud here in salisbury right now is so hazy. Been like it all day!!!

Looking at the met office forecast I am tempted by the South Downs. Not too far to drive for dawn and not somewhere I have been to a lot.

I'm in Sussex this week. Hazy skies every day apart from one so far. I've taken hundreds of potentially great pics ('potentially' because until I get them into Photoshop on a decent monitor next week I don't really know what I've got). I've concentrated on finding subjects that look good in the light that's available rather than setting out with a metereological requirement and then whinging when it doesn't appear.

Alan

Agreed.

I think I'm beginning (finally) to understand what some here were talking about when defending the Stockimo push as a way of avoiding photographers who, creatively speaking, are stuck in a rut, who can't (I believe it's most often "won't") think outside very set parameters . . . including meteorological.

If you have in mind getting a sunset with god-rays  bursting from behind huge, dramatic clouds, strings of flying geese silhouetted against the scene, and the last rays of sun peeping through the many gaps in the clouds catching the tops of the waves breaking in the foreground, then sure, a fully overcast, drizzly sky changes that plan . . . but surely there have to be alternative images just busting to be seen and captured . . . even if one of them is of a frustrated photographer sitting with all his/her gear set up, waiting angrily for a sunset that's not going to appear ;)

dd

Sorry, but that is the way that I work. I do not believe that I am stuck in a rut at all.

We all set ourselves targets as to what we want to achieve and mine are very clear. Although I don't get a lot of sales here on Alamy (you should not judge my work but what is in my portfolio) I do elsewhere. And that is because of the standard that I have set myself.

So, yes you might think I am "moaning" but I do not want to spend time photographing; processing and keywording stuff that isn't up to scratch.

Interesting idea but a non-starter. He's off out himself over the next couple of days.

Having woken up with a clearer head I have a better idea of things right now. Snowdonia is looking like it will have decent weather over the weekend so I'm off to hunt for hotels!

My thoughts exactly Martin. Take Dorset under flat skies and it's OK. Take the Lakes or another mountainous area and add in lowish cloud etc and it looks a whole lot better.

We each search for different things in this game. I have mine and it isn't happening right now.

The Met Office is saying there will be sunny breaks in Salisbury today. It doesn't look like it all right now. Supposedly they were there at 7AM this morning but weren't.

Hopefully they will this afternoon as one thing I had planned in Salisbury was a couple of time lapse videos over the cathedral.

Interesting idea but a non-starter. He's off out himself over the next couple of days.

Having woken up with a clearer head I have a better idea of things right now. Snowdonia is looking like it will have decent weather over the weekend so I'm off to hunt for hotels!

The light is awful in Snowdonia even though the sun is shining.  I don't think it will live up to your exacting standards.

Pearl

It is the flat grey that is so dispiriting, Snowdonia or The Lakes in stormy weather could be dramatic and inspiring.

There is nothing dramatic about Snowdonia at the moment. Really hazy light and weak skies.

Pearl

It is why I am trying to get away from preconceived ideas and going with the flow. As the Norwegians say "There is no such thing as the wrong weather, just the wrong clothes"

Same is true of photographer. I used to use the weather as an excuse not to take photographs "it's too flat, it's too harsh ...). Now I do photography whatever the weather and adapt.

So my aphorism of the day: "there is no such thing as bad photographic light, just the wrong ideas" ;)

Thanks Pearl!

Have been scouting a few things in the Lakes. I "may" go up after all. Found some webcam images that look promising. Just need to get a few things sorted here.

A very long time ago I took images overlooking Derwentwater/Keswick and Bassenthwaite lake from the top of Skiddaw with the clouds just skimming over my head.  Great effect seeing the underside of the clouds in the picture.  Mind you the lower levels were very clear and in good light.

Allan

For me, the weather is not an excuse it is a necessity for what I do. 

Just come back in from a quick trip to the centre of town as I needed to tie up loose ends. What's it doing? Raining! 

What frustrates me the most is the Met Office giving out information about weather that is only a few hours away and completely fouling it up. That is highly irritating as it makes trying to guage somewhere very difficult.

Told you there was going to be lovely weather on the border of Suffolk and Norfolk - got some lovely blues skies for brochures pics earlier. Kerching!!

For me, the weather is not an excuse it is a necessity for what I do. 

Just come back in from a quick trip to the centre of town as I needed to tie up loose ends. What's it doing? Raining! 

What frustrates me the most is the Met Office giving out information about weather that is only a few hours away and completely fouling it up. That is highly irritating as it makes trying to guage somewhere very difficult.

They only do it when they know there are foreigners about  ;)

Don't know why somebody has given you a red mark Jules, darned unsporting in my view.

Stop teasing me Geoff :)

I'll be heading your way next Friday but only to get back on the plane at Stansted.

Well last time I headed your way, I got mild food poisoning.... so now we are even....... stopped off in Tours last year on way back from Dordogne, ate at a 'nice' restaurant and the rest is history.

Tours is perfect for lifestyle stock shoots....I wouldn't be getting on a plane for stock if I lived there......

Stop teasing me Geoff :)

I'll be heading your way next Friday but only to get back on the plane at Stansted.

Well last time I headed your way, I got mild food poisoning.... so now we are even....... stopped off in Tours last year on way back from Dordogne, ate at a 'nice' restaurant and the rest is history.

Tours is perfect for lifestyle stock shoots....I wouldn't be getting on a plane for stock if I lived there......

No comment ;)

Seriously, it depends on where you go in Tours.

There are a number of things that I want to do in Tours involving people. Thankfully, I know of some who have businesses where I should be able to get that all important MR. And thankfully, it doesn't need the weather!

Speaking of which, I managed to find a B&B up in the Lakes so now it's time to pack, take a very long drive up and also look forward to sitting down in the pub with a fellow Alamy contributor :D

I think I'm beginning (finally) to understand what some here were talking about when defending the Stockimo push as a way of avoiding photographers who, creatively speaking, are stuck in a rut, who can't (I believe it's most often "won't") think outside very set parameters . . . including meteorological.

I think Stockimo is, on the creative side, and by a long way, the best of Alamy at the moment, including most of the regular 'creative' [sic] close-up and concept work deemed good enough for the home page.

And the weather has nothing to do with it.

Archived