So, averaging out what's been posted so far ...

2006 - $141  (n=3)

2007 - $273  (n=4)

2008 - $131  (n=5)

2009 - $99    (n=5)

2010 - $83    (n=5)

2011 - $62    (n=5)

2012 - $56    (n=5)

2013 - $58    (n=5)

Still not a very big sample to be going on, but appears to be a distinct drop in selling value around 2008/2010 (2007 was skewed by two large figures of $475 and $320)

OK, to add to your stats, my average gross fees for my limited time selling:

2013: $68

2014: $48 EDIT: continues downward: $45

I have read a report on the stock industry somewhere that is saying just what you are experiencing in the continual reducing net income. The report seems to cite the high and increasing volume of images available on the net, a lot of which are free or already very cheap. This is due to agencies/libraries undercutting to try to keep/stay in business.

The report ended with the conclusion that if a photographers income was purely from stock then it would be wise to diversify into other fields. Personally I am going to open a brothel. ;)

Allan

For me: Average Gross per sale

2005 only one sale so not counting that year

2006       $248

2007         163

2008         146

2009         158

2010         109

2011           98

2012           92

2013           82

2014           76 (so far)

I broke down and did the math. Curiously, my numbers seem more consistent. Could be because I made a lot of distributor sales in earlier years. Now I make more Alamy sales.

2007 -- started uploading late in the year and only made one sale

2008 -- $100

2009 -- $124

2010 -- $108

2011 -- $77

2012 -- $89

2013 -- $74

2014 -- $80 (so far, so good with 94 sales)

2012 was my best year (gross) and 2014 is looking as if it could turn into my second best. Net income of course has declined.

I'm not going to dig out my early numbers. They're irrelevant since the size of my collection was so different. I only have about 1,600 images now, curse my butt. But I'm amazed that my average price for 2014 so far is $124.49. Gee, and I was just thinking about giving up on stock altogether.  I'm so burned out and just cannot get myself to shoot anything on the San Gennaro Feast, which is right now just outside my door. Basta! 

Major correction: as some of you may have suspected, my count was off. The average price paid for an image in the first 9 months of 2014 was $58.97.  

Sorry about that. Two hours and forty minutes of happiness gone in a twinkling.   :wacko:

Can't resist to play along the fare game:

2008 -- $200 (3 sales)

2009 -- $166 (4 sales)

2010 -- $176 (8 sales)

2011 -- $115 (15 sales)

2012 -- $91 (48 sales)

2013 -- $104 (49 sales)

2014 to date -- $94 (52 sales)

Personally I am going to open a brothel. ;)

Allan

Won't just be your prices dropping, then.

You could make a fortune combining your new business with your photography.... if you don't get the jail.....   :o

I've made some corrections:

2005  -  $195
2006  -  $179
2007  -  $131 ( 26x) (w/o xxl sale)  with that sale: $425 (27x)
2008  -  $136
2009  -  $124
2010  -  $107
2011  -  $ 80
2012  -  $ 65
2013  -  $ 68
2014  -  $ 60

(so far)

The first time my list had some inconsistencies because of Novel Use. This is all without NU.

The decline is much smoother now ;-)

The other correction is for the xxl sale in 2007.

wim

Allan

I think there's another big stock aGency -- whose name I won't mention -- that has beaten you to it.

There's always room for an exclusive little one. B)

Allan

Allan

I think there's another big stock aGency -- whose name I won't mention -- that has beaten you to it.

There's always room for an exclusive little one. B)

Allan

You're right. Size doesn't really matter.

I have read a report on the stock industry somewhere that is saying just what you are experiencing in the continual reducing net income. The report seems to cite the high and increasing volume of images available on the net, a lot of which are free or already very cheap. This is due to agencies/libraries undercutting to try to keep/stay in business.

The report ended with the conclusion that if a photographers income was purely from stock then it would be wise to diversify into other fields. Personally I am going to open a brothel. ;)

Allan

Allan:

Open the brothel, and I will be your first customer. Can I bring my small Sony camera?

Allan

Allan:

Open the brothel, and I will be your first customer. Can I bring my small Sony camera?

Of course you can, but watch out for "soft and lacking definition."

I started a similar topic not knowing this one existed.  Wim suggested I post here and maybe revive this post.  Here is my original post.

This comes from perhaps having too much time on my hands, but I divided My total sales to date into the total dollar amount that appears on My Alamy Dashboard.  I came up with $103.81.  I thought that was pretty good.  Of course if I used return per image on sale it wouldn't look so good.  Does anyone else want to post their number?  Maybe it will cheer some of the new people up a little. 

Total = $45.67 average price

2014 = $51.33 average price

September 2014 = $68.33 average price

Most of my pictures are secondary editorial and I'm in newspaper scheme and novel use.

John.

Archived