iPhone 6 launched

Apple iPhone 6 launched today

Hmmmm....Only an 8MP camera?

Not sure how impressed I am. My contract has been up for a year and I'm on the $65 a month plan on pay as you go.I'm not a 'power user' for the phone part though I do love the APPS.  My iPhone 4 is a bit long in the tooth and has really slowed down...

http://live.theverge.com/apple-iphone-iwatch-live-blog/#/

L

I've been without a contract for over a year.  After I had a phone break, I learned that buying a phone outright is SOOOOO much better.  I had been looking at the 5S but at $640 it didn't make sense - the phone I have now is a Motorola Atrix I bought new 2 years ago for $100 from Amazon.  I am seeing prices starting at $299 for the iPhone 6 - if that's the price without a plan I will definitely take advantage of it.  If that includes a contract, I'll skip it.

I can't see paying for a phone that costs about the same amount as a laptop - that just seems ridiculous to me.

The iPhone 5S now starts at $99.

I may wait until the spring. If we will be having a worse winter in Chicago than we had last year,I just don't see myself spending much time in the cold!

L

The new iPhone 6/6 Plus with its Touch ID fingerprint sensor supports the also newly announced Apple Pay mobile payment solution:

http://www.macrumors.com/2014/09/09/apple-announces-applepay-payment-solution/

Possible alternative to risk laden swipe and sign credit cards.  

I've not yet felt the need to own a smartphone of any kind but if this solution works and enough businesses offer it as a payment option it might be worth a look.

So taking a look at the Apple store - an iPhone 6 without a contract is $650.

If you buy it through a carrier - as an example AT&T under their "next" purchase plan, you are wrangled into a two year contract AND you're required to pay $27.05 per month (which ends up being $649.20).

I can buy a nice laptop with greater functionality for the same price and not have that ball and chain locked to my ankle.  My interest has been lost.

LOL....I was just sitting here thinking that it wasn't too long ago when we could go to the department store and spend $15 on a handset and we paid about $15 per month for telephone service.

I miss the old days!

(and yes, I have a $140/month telephone plan just between cell service and mobile hotspot).

I need to find out how good Virgin Mobile Service is in my area and places I travel to. $35 a month and no contract...Can't get the iPhone 6 but can get other phones and even the 5S.

I rebel against contracts. I just don't use my phone that much because when I'm in public,it can be risky to pull it out on the street.

If I am on a shoot it would be the wrong thing to do...my clients would not appreciate me texting or talking on the phone.

L

Ive been using a 5s since February this year. My old Samsung was somewhat knackered and needed replacing, and with the rise of Stockimo, it seemed like a good time to move to iPhone. I've been happy with the phone, and enjoyed taking pictures with it and fiddling with them in the various photo apps. It has, if nothing else, provided a much needed distraction from Alamy stock. I hasten to add that, at the time of writing I have sold sod all through Stockimo, but then I've only got 300 odd pictures on there. One lives in hope.

Anyway, to get to the point, I just checked the comparative specs for the 6, 6 plus, 5s and 5c on the Apple web site, and as far as I can see there is no good reason for me to even think about upgrading.

As far as I am concerned an 8MP camera is plenty good enough for Stockimo submissions. It could be 24 MP, but by the time the pictures have been blown to pieces by Snapseed, Stackables, Mextures and the like, which seems to be Stockimo's preference, the camera might as well be a 3MP. That said I have had a few "less butchered" pictures accepted.

Like Linda, I have no intention into being "suckered into expensive toys" or not without good reason anyway.

And as for the Apple watch  :lol:  A regular TAG is good for me and will last a hell of a lot longer!!!!!!!!!!

Archived