September photography challenge is `Music`

Ace

#2 from me

This gentleman is playing a carpenter's saw. I guess you could say that his music is on the cutting edge.

By one definition, a gentleman is a man who can play the accordion but choses not to.   :)

By another, a man who chooses to use a saw to cut his accordion into tiny, unplayable pieces.

Nice topic, music is the background to my life. First thing I do in the morning, even before I put the kettle on a say hello to the baby, is drop the needle onto whatever record is on the turntable, and my last task in the evening is to turn the music off. From the giant beats of Rammstein and Beethoven to the wizardry of Paganini and Ritchie Blackmore, the lone voice of Abbess Hildegard to the pomp and swagger of Verdi and the Red Army chorus, I love it all. Give me excess of it indeed. My pics then

lemmy_of_motorhead_in_actio.jpg

Lemmy showing us what to do with a bass guitar. Taken from the balcony of Hammersmith Odeon in the good old days when you could get camera kit into a gig, 1985 or so. Indescribably loud, with so much wattage in the room that you can see your clothes beating and moving with the bass drum. All good clean fun.

AJ6PGR.jpg

A lone piper on the beach at Arisaig, with Skye beyond. Beautiful Scotland, one of the world's really great places.

B6WEE0.jpg

Uriah Heep's Mick Box shredding back around '82. Taken from the mosh pit, a testament to the Pentax ME Super which suffered more beer dousing and knocks than any camera should. I sold that ME Super in the end, it never missed a beat. Top camera, that. 

Cheers

Col

I'm just happy Ornette Coleman never decided to play the musical saw.

Believe it or not, it has its aficionados

Indeed it does. A friend of mine is one.

Alan

Yes, it's amazing what can be done with just a saw and some talent. Another plus is that if your music career doesn't work out, you can always switch to something more lucrative such as carpentry.

#2 from me

This gentleman is playing a carpenter's saw. I guess you could say that his music is on the cutting edge.

By one definition, a gentleman is a man who can play the accordion but choses not to.   :)

Reminds me of the difference between a Banjo and a Ukulele....

Nice topic, music is the background to my life. First thing I do in the morning, even before I put the kettle on a say hello to the baby, is drop the needle onto whatever record is on the turntable, and my last task in the evening is to turn the music off. From the giant beats of Rammstein and Beethoven to the wizardry of Paganini and Ritchie Blackmore, the lone voice of Abbess Hildegard to the pomp and swagger of Verdi and the Red Army chorus, I love it all. Give me excess of it indeed. My pics then

lemmy_of_motorhead_in_actio.jpg

Lemmy showing us what to do with a bass guitar. Taken from the balcony of Hammersmith Odeon in the good old days when you could get camera kit into a gig, 1985 or so. Indescribably loud, with so much wattage in the room that you can see your clothes beating and moving with the bass drum. All good clean fun.

AJ6PGR.jpg

A lone piper on the beach at Arisaig, with Skye beyond. Beautiful Scotland, one of the world's really great places.

B6WEE0.jpg

Uriah Heep's Mick Box shredding back around '82. Taken from the mosh pit, a testament to the Pentax ME Super which suffered more beer dousing and knocks than any camera should. I sold that ME Super in the end, it never missed a beat. Top camera, that. 

Cheers

Col

...Very 'eavy ...Very 'umble .... if you ask me Colin ;-)

That's a great record, and they certainly were very 'eavy. In fact they played a blinder. I only went because the alternative was an organic chemistry assignment, and it turned out to be a great show. It was a mosh pit of great liveliness, although nothing compared to a full metal stompathon. It was then that I appreciated what a good axeman Mick Box was and, as I said, how much beer sweat and spit an ME Super can take. 

Col

"Daddy, daddy, come and look, see what I have found . . . "

Goose-bumps still.

dd

"Daddy, daddy, come and look, see what I have found . . . "

Goose-bumps still.

dd

Just found it on youtube DD. It's still out there !

Stock photography = Certainly no Easy livin

Yes, its on Youtube. As soon as I read the lines that dd posted, the chill of that song came back to me and I listened to it about five Times in a row. Nothing changes, daddies and Melindas are having that conversation today.

Col

Altough not as viewed as the later (and lesser, IMO) "mix" version, the original is there too, with the imcomparable David Byron.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kmbw2RRGGbk

dd

Yes, its on Youtube. As soon as I read the lines that dd posted, the chill of that song came back to me and I listened to it about five Times in a row. Nothing changes, daddies and Melindas are having that conversation today.

Col

Altough not as viewed as the later (and lesser, IMO) "mix" version, the original is there too, with the imcomparable David Byron.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kmbw2RRGGbk

dd

Great track and video

Col

dd

Great track and video

Gosh, that song and message wouldn't be out of place in today's world mess !

Boy, are we so off topic, however saw Uriah Heep play myself back in 1978. Great band ;-)

Col

dd

Great track and video

Gosh, that song and message wouldn't be out of place in today's world mess !

Boy, are we so off topic, however saw Uriah Heep play myself back in 1978. Great band ;-)

We are . . . the topic of the thread is Music, we've branched off to Real Music . . . ;)

dd

CYC08R.jpg

A large crowd is lit in silhouette by bright stage lights as Bloc Party play Olympia

E1DGPH.jpg

Paolo Nutini plays Brighton Centre on 31/05/2014 at Brighton Centre, Brighton.

D0G1BC.jpg

Crystal Castles plays O2 Academy Brixton on 24/11/2012 at O2 Academy Brixton, London. Crystal Castles, a Canadian electronic experimental band formed in 2004 in Toronto consisting of producer Ethan Kath and vocalist Alice Glass

Archived