What's your life expectancy?

Trouble is the "Clock" does not take into account conditions/illnesses people may have now or in the future (if you have one).

Goodbye.

Allan

Sorry if I'm being aggressive, but I only have minutes to live.

I was doing Death Clock comparisons with different data and I discovered that the amount of drinking we do makes no difference in the date of our last day on Earth. "Yes, bartender--I'll have that other half." Maybe this discrepancy is no longer important since I've already lived so long.   :)

It's life expectancy at birth, skewed downwards by perinatal mortality.

If you're already 65, however,  you have another 18 years.

Hey, that's me you're talking about. I recently turned 65. Now I'll hopefully have 18 more years to take advantage of those big seniors' discounts everyone raves about. B)

The life expectancy of males in the USA is 78.5 years. In the UK males get a few extra months: 78.9. Of course if you don't like these numbers you might want to do a search for others.  ;)

It's reportedly a tad longer here in Canada (better gun laws perhaps). Consider being born in Iceland next time around.

I’ve just turned 70, and although my BMI is below the minimum listed on the Death Clock, it calculates I have another 16 years of presumably everything except sex, drugs and rock ’n’ roll! Which is not bad considering the average Frenchman with both my age and BMI has only 10 more years to look forward to (they drink too much coffee).

However, having just had an Implantable Cardioverter Defibrillator inserted into my chest (done in 30 mins under local anaesthetic at the best heart unit in France) after technically dying during an emergency 30-minute helicopter trip to hospital after my massive heart attack in April, I may live longer... as the gadget will try to jump-start my ticker if and when it stops (presumably when I resume engaging in sex, drugs and the rest).

Bonne chance, Ed. I have 6 stens in my heart. Since they were placed I have not had even a mild event. I lost almost 50 lbs. last year and got rid of the diabetes 2 that had begun to take hold. None of us win this battle with mortality . . . but we try to win another round. I envy you your local wines, especially the Sancerre. Can you drink wine? If your French doctor says no, it's time to change doctors. 

Bonne chance, Ed. I have 6 stens in my heart. Since they were placed I have not had even a mild event. I lost almost 50 lbs. last year and got rid of the diabetes 2 that had begun to take hold. None of us win this battle with mortality . . . but we try to win another round. I envy you your local wines, especially the Sancerre. Can you drink wine? If your French doctor says no, it's time to change doctors. 

Thanks Ed... I was in two French hospitals for almost two months, and during the final three weeks red wine from the nearby Chinon vineyards was served every weekend (as well as public holidays, of which there were four in May alone!) with lunch. Incidentally, I was the only vegetarian amongst 60 patients in the recovery hospital so all my meals were individually prepared... my "re-education" there was unforgettable, and I would have stayed for another month had I been offered the chance.

I also remember in 2003 when my late wife was in a French hospital after breaking a hip; after her operation at 7am I went to visit at 1pm and found her sitting up in bed in a beautiful single room (with a view) having lunch with a glass of red wine... in contrast to a similar operation in the UK on her other hip in 1999 when she was in a dirty room with seven other patients of both sexes.  

To answer your question... I guess French doctors think it's OK to imbibe the grape!

Thanks Ed... I was in two French hospitals for almost two months, and during the final three weeks red wine from the nearby Chinon vineyards was served every weekend (as well as public holidays, of which there were four in May alone!) with lunch. Incidentally, I was the only vegetarian amongst 60 patients in the recovery hospital so all my meals were individually prepared... my "re-education" there was unforgettable, and I would have stayed for another month had I been offered the chance.

I also remember in 2003 when my late wife was in a French hospital after breaking a hip; after her operation at 7am I went to visit at 1pm and found her sitting up in bed in a beautiful single room (with a view) having lunch with a glass of red wine... in contrast to a similar operation in the UK on her other hip in 1999 when she was in a dirty room with seven other patients of both sexes.  

To answer your question... I guess French doctors think it's OK to imbibe the grape!

Wow, I feel lucky after hearing your stories. I have to watch my blood pressure these days and lose some weight, but my ticker is apparently doing fine. Personally, I think that a glass of wine every day increases life expectancy. Vive la France!

Alan: I ran a few tests on the Death Clock and found that drinking has no effect on how long we live . . . of course I was drinking when I did the tests. I seem to be repeting myself. Sorry. 

Ed B and John: It is generally considered true that one or two drinks a day is good for males, one for females. My last doctor recommended this (well, he was a Russian). There was soup kitchen in Trastevere, where I lived in Rome, and they served wine with their giveaway meals. 

The Mayo Clinic says:  http://www.mayoclinic.org/healthy-living/nutrition-and-healthy-eating/in-depth/alcohol/art-20044551

My gran - born on the day when Abraham Lincoln was selected as the U.S. presidential candidate for the Republican Party - drinks half a crate of Westvleteren trappist per day.................. She's 154.

My gran lived for three months in a paper bag in a septic tank.

Alan

No, no, no! BELGIAN BEER, that golden or brown "nectar" - or better call it "elixir of life" - actually adds bonus years to your life when floating through your veins. My gran - born on the day when Abraham Lincoln was selected as the U.S. presidential candidate for the Republican Party - drinks half a crate of Westvleteren trappist per day.................. She's 154.

Cheers,

Philippe

Belgian beer makes you forget complete days of your life.

You go straight from Saturday to Monday, so you think you're living longer.

One of Philippe's many secrets of longevity is that in Belgium, even chip shops serve beer.

Another is that they make some pretty good wine. Not the chip shops, the Belgians.

No, no, no! BELGIAN BEER, that golden or brown "nectar" - or better call it "elixir of life" - actually adds bonus years to your life when floating through your veins. My gran - born on the day when Abraham Lincoln was selected as the U.S. presidential candidate for the Republican Party - drinks half a crate of Westvleteren trappist per day.................. She's 154.

Cheers,

Philippe

Belgian beer makes you forget complete days of your life.

You go straight from Saturday to Monday, so you think you're living longer.

One of Philippe's many secrets of longevity is that in Belgium, even chip shops serve beer.

Another is that they make some pretty good wine. Not the chip shops, the Belgians.

Prefer the chocolates myself.

Allan

Archived