Thanks for my time in the Sin Bin !!!!

Duncan_andison

if i had to drop an agency to reduce the number of places i have my work, it is likely that Alamy would have to be the one as they are one of my lowest earners.

I understand where your coming from, many are in the same boat,  another reason why i would like to get more passed through QC without that terrible 1 month sin bin thing in the hope of making it worth while being with Alamy.

Paul.

Have yet to have the pleasure of a 1 month wait - I probably don't upload enough, or am just plain lucky.

However, Alamy isn't 'one' of my lowest earners, on the measure that counts, RPI, it is my lowest earner. And that allows for editing rejections elsewhere and ranking here - I am only putting 800 highly ranked images into the equation.

So - chin up.  Your month away is your golden opportunity.

_____________________________________________________________________________________________________

Added later:

This thread is so long I failed to notice that this is actually the topic.  How did it get lost? 

Hey Jude, don't make it good

Take a good song and make it sadder...

We've considered a number of different approaches but the current one works best for the majority of photographers. 

Three key points:

1 - the current average pass rate is around 96% 

2 - the system discourages those who fail to simply resubmit the rest of the batch without checking properly

3 - we approve more images daily than any other image library

Alamy

We've considered a number of different approaches but the current one works best for the majority of photographers. 

Three key points:

1 - the current average pass rate is around 96% 

2 - the system discourages those who fail to simply resubmit the rest of the batch without checking properly

3 - we approve more images daily than any other image library

Alamy

"3 - we approve more images daily than any other image library"

And that explains why (re RPI)

You may have a good suggestion there Paul and I for one would endorse such a move on Alamy's part.

I don't know if others who have been in the Sin-Bin for the statuary month have noticed this but my views tend to go down over the month indicating possible reduced licenses. I believe that this drop is due to not being able to submit images on a regular basis during the month out.

As for dust bunnies I am now using the "Visualise" facility in LR. It is great for showing up spots, even very small and faint ones, whether they are caused by blemishes on the sensor, lens or filter. I started this since finding a dust bunny in an image submitted a little while ago for which I am still spending time in the bin. Hope to be out soon.

Allan

Three key points:

Alamy

My resubs always pass.

I don't mind the fail- I mind the sudden (in my case) imposition of the 1-month wait.

In LR Develop click on spot removal tool.

Down at bottom left of screen will appear "Visualise spots"

Tick box to left of this. This action turns image into negative mono.

Using slider to the right of "Visualise spots" will adjust image so spots become obvious.

Click on spot and it is gone.

If you are not sure if the mark is a spot or a constituent part of the image just untick the box to return the image in its full colour mode to check. Flicking back and forth certainly helps.

Allan

Allan!  what version of LR are you using?  i have 4.1,  i cannot find "Visualise spots" at bottom left of screen.

Thank's,

And also thank you for your offer of support if Alamy would try something in QC like i suggested.

Paul.

If you don't have LR, or prefer to use PS, a devastatingly effective method is to ramp up contrast until all spots look like flying saucers (even previously invisible ones), create an action, spot the high contrast image, end the action, then play that action on the unmodified image.  For sensor spots in the sky, you can use the same action again for other images from the same camera using the same format.  Although when you get to that stage you need a clean.

Allan!  what version of LR are you using?  i have 4.1,  i cannot find "Visualise spots" at bottom left of screen.

Thank's,

And also thank you for your offer of support if Alamy would try something in QC like i suggested.

Paul.

I am using latest version 5.5 I think it is. Do not know if it was available in version 4. Check out google for Visualise spots LR4. May show example on youtube.

The Vis spots is not right at the bottom of the screen it is at bottom of develop screen above bin at bottom.

Allan

Gosh, I never knew that. Thanks and a "greenie" for you

I like Allan's method too

My own was a little more direct- frustrated with so much dust on the 5D - I swapped to the xe1 for most shots- dust solved

Pleased to be of help.

Allan

My failures have been identifiable on re-examination : dust spot [ I missed it ] exposure issue [ rather a matter of a opinion ] and this one DAMWKP "jpeg artefact" - I never did identify it but resubmitted later exported direct from Aperture rather than Photoshop. I think it may have referred to some spilt paint on the decking.

I think we just have to take failures on the chin and press on

John

Three key points:

Alamy

On the basis it was Sept 2012 when I last failed, do you really think that I don't check properly..... really?!? Or, perhaps, like many others that I may just of had a bad day... after all I am only photographer (human).

Given a 2 year clean slate I can say for sure it does discourage from re-submitting straightaway. I presume that if someone in your office makes an occasional mistake, they're also not allowed to contribute any work to Alamy for 28 working days!

Talk about using a sledgehammer to crack a nut. 

So after 28 days (or what ever) what do you expect most will do? Submit them all again at the first possibility?!? It's not like you can see which image out of which batch that has failed so you can correct the problem.... it could be a technical issue with some equipment that has then been allowed to go on for another 28 days. 

As far as I'm concerned, what ever images are stuck in limbo have now gone elsewhere, some exclusive, so they will be deleted when the opportunity arises. 

I had a fairly good upload record but got a 30 day sin bin in January. I decided not to bother uploading any more because I didn't enjoy being treated like a naughty schoolboy without being told why I was being punished and my time can be put to more finacially rewarding use elsewhere.

Three key points:

Alamy

On the basis it was Sept 2012 when I last failed, do you really think that I don't check properly..... really?!? Or, perhaps, like many others that I may just of had a bad day... after all I am only photographer (human).

Given a 2 year clean slate I can say for sure it does discourage from re-submitting straightaway. I presume that if someone in your office makes an occasional mistake, they are also not allowed to contribute any work to Alamy for 28 working days!

Talk about using a sledgehammer to break a nut. 

So after 28 days (or what ever) what do you expect most will do? Submit them all again at the first possibility?!? It's not like you can see which image out of which batch that has failed so you can correct the problem.... it could be a technical issue with some equipment that has then been allowed to go on for another 28 days. 

As far as I'm concerned, what ever images are stuck in limbo have now gone elsewhere, some exclusive, so they will be deleted when the opportunity arises. 

I'm heartened to see that a savvy, good shooter has pointed a sharp finger at this useless, nonsensical system. It's about time. And it's time it's been discontinued. I'll be firing my own salvo in the next week . . . assuming I ever get out of the cursed sin bin, where they've chiseled my name on the cell door. Wait for it. 

Three key points:

Alamy

I have had one fail (for which there was no punishment) and the culprit was pointed out to me as well as why it failed.

I thought this was always the way it happened.

Jill

Three key points:

Alamy

I have had one fail (for which there was no punishment) and the culprit was pointed out to me as well as why it failed.

Jill

Not always.... they seem to have some criteria as to when to apply a full on 28 day sin bin or not.

2 YEARS AGO ( :) ) when it last happened, I had to wait 28 working days before being told it had failed and what the cause was! 

Ed.... thanks.... The sharp finger is pointing but I will leave it to the imagination as to which direction it is pointing in  :D

Again, returning to the actual topic raised by Colin, I would have thought that a month not subbing is not going to make a blind bit of difference to anyone's income, because Alamy returns are so low, even where ranks are fairly high, which didn't used to be the case (for a good rank).

It would seem to me that the real problem here is not QC - which only inspects a limited number of problem areas.  The problem is that Alamy, because it doesn't actually challenge anyone and makes it all so easy-peasy, has become habit-forming for some, while the sales environment has gone from poor to catastrophic.

The Alamy model is no longer based on photographer friendly policies - it's based on the ability to accumulate vast quantities of imagery without having to compete for it or otherwise do much, certainly not consider the impact on the individual contrib.  But why should they when contribs are so desperate to get their work in that they start suffering withdrawal symptoms after a QC lapse?

The good news is that Alamy is no longer typical of the market.  Now that a lot of dead wood has been lost to the system, it's actually in quite good health out there.  Can be demanding - but that is no bad thing for anyone who wants to call themselves a professional..

So Colin makes a good point.  Certainly my returns from work distributed to the major supplier mentioned (which also give work away tut-tut, but not distributed work) is making Alamy seem disfunctional.

I remember feeling the same about some smallish agencies full of filling cabinets (and maybe shoeboxes) back in the early years of Alamy, when one talented contributor here was reporting a net annual RPI of over $60.

How things change.

Three key points:

Alamy

Jill

Not always.... they seem to have some criteria as to when to apply a full on 28 day sin bin or not.

2 YEARS AGO ( :) ) when it last happened, I had to wait 28 working days before being told it had failed and what the cause was! 

Ed.... thanks.... The sharp finger is pointing but I will leave it to the imagination as to which direction it is pointing in  :D

I misunderstood you. I thought you meant that even after the 28 days, they did not tell you which picture failed.

Jill

Again, returning to the actual topic raised by Colin, I would have thought that a month not subbing is not going to make a blind bit of difference to anyone's income, because Alamy returns are so low, even where ranks are fairly high, which didn't used to be the case (for a good rank).

It would seem to me that the real problem here is not QC - which only inspects a limited number of problem areas.  The problem is that Alamy, because it doesn't actually challenge anyone and makes it all so easy-peasy, has become habit-forming for some, while the sales environment has gone from poor to catastrophic.

The Alamy model is no longer based on photographer friendly policies - it's based on the ability to accumulate vast quantities of imagery without having to compete for it or otherwise do much, certainly not consider the impact on the individual contrib.  But why should they when contribs are so desperate to get their work in that they start suffering withdrawal symptoms after a QC lapse?

The good news is that Alamy is no longer typical of the market.  Now that a lot of dead wood has been lost to the system, it's actually in quite good health out there.  Can be demanding - but that is no bad thing for anyone who wants to call themselves a professional..

So Colin makes a good point.  Certainly my returns from work distributed to the major supplier mentioned (which also give work away tut-tut, but not distributed work) is making Alamy seem disfunctional.

I remember feeling the same about some smallish agencies full of filling cabinets (and maybe shoeboxes) back in the early years of Alamy, when one talented contributor here was reporting a net annual RPI of over $60.

How things change.

Sums it up well. 

I would say it has little to no impact as to whether I submit work know or later.... it just comes down to the way they "Treat" you. I'm trying to build a business while they seem to want to play kinder garden games (no, I'm not telling you, it's a secret, you can't play for a whole month). Ok, I'll find someone else to play, I mean WORK with!

This whole thread makes me laugh.

I brought this issue up ages ago and was told to do this and do that by people on this very thread who are now banned for 28 days. 

One of the most repetitive posts I saw over and over again, was - 'these are the rules of Alamy'.

From people on this post. Now they're complaining and you have to see the funny side of it.

Archived