How were your sales in June 2014?

After a disastrous year so far my 2 June sales were welcome - one day after another!  One for $67.50 and the other for $163.80 gross, so net $115.65 - started uploading again after a couple of years away, so lets hope its onwards and upwards. 

Robert:  To answer the question, eight sales for gross (Alamy's) receipts of about $550.  I've noticed that many shots in your collection are of commercial trademarks.  Do you sell many of these?  Has no owner of the trademark ever protested?  Do you rely totally on Alamy's terms of sale to ensure that these images will only be used editorially?  I had been under the impression that Alamy would reject images in which commercial trademarks occupy a prominent place in the image.  Obviously not, judging from your collection.  You seem to be doing very well indeed.  How many images in the Alamy collection?  Cheers, Ollie

Ollie - yes I do. The Tesco distribution centre* and Shell fuel pump have both sold twice.  Packets of Persil - the buyers are queuing up for that one.  If I did more on the big brands in a social context, I would make a lot more here.  I think it would help a lot if there was a simple way of marking images as editorial only, however (brands are fine for editorial use).  I don't really have the time to spend on Alamy admin work, and the user is responsible for inappropriate use anyway.  And if I did, I would lose sales: one of the Tesco licenses was for corporate use ... by Tesco.

And to answer the OP's question:  $367 for 5 sales

* Correction: Tesco three times

My joint biggest sale was a Trademark, well into 4 figures..... just not here. That said, last month here a joint trademark image went for several hundred $'s combined. It depends on what you do with then. A straight vertical snapshot probably won't cut it but use a little imagination and they can be big earners!

Robert:  To answer the question, eight sales for gross (Alamy's) receipts of about $550.  I've noticed that many shots in your collection are of commercial trademarks.  Do you sell many of these?  Has no owner of the trademark ever protested?  Do you rely totally on Alamy's terms of sale to ensure that these images will only be used editorially?  I had been under the impression that Alamy would reject images in which commercial trademarks occupy a prominent place in the image.  Obviously not, judging from your collection.  You seem to be doing very well indeed.  How many images in the Alamy collection?  Cheers, Ollie

Ollie - yes I do. The Tesco distribution centre* and Shell fuel pump have both sold twice.  Packets of Persil - the buyers are queuing up for that one.  If I did more on the big brands in a social context, I would make a lot more here.  I think it would help a lot if there was a simple way of marking images as editorial only, however (brands are fine for editorial use).  I don't really have the time to spend on Alamy admin work, and the user is responsible for inappropriate use anyway.  And if I did, I would lose sales: one of the Tesco licenses was for corporate use ... by Tesco.

And to answer the OP's question:  $367 for 5 sales

* Correction: Tesco three times

My joint biggest sale was a Trademark, well into 4 figures..... just not here. That said, last month here a joint trademark image went for several hundred $'s combined. It depends on what you do with then. A straight vertical snapshot probably won't cut it but use a little imagination and they can be big earners!

Exactly. The image I have sold most at one agency (59 times) is of Sainsbury's own brand produce.  You have to find a context: social, cutlural, political, scientific, without making it too obvious.

My Dashboard says 15 sales for $840

My Summary says 17 items for $650.98

Either way it's not looking good.

wim

(looking up that quote about damn statistics)

Wim. Is that for a month? I wouldn't mind that out of Alamy!

Alex and Todd. have you tried taking a good, long, hard look at what you have? I've just spent a few days doing just that and out of nearly 4000 images created a new pseudo with just under 400 images. I think it's always a good idea to reflect on what it is you have and is it really worth having.

Hey Elliot :)

Yes, I know what I have and I haven't added to it since my last long stint in the sin bin.

I think trying to change things around (like swapping pseudos) to try to increase sales without the inside knowledge of how things work on Alamy is a waste of time. I can be much more productive elsewhere where I know how things work.

I'll just let things sit there and be happy when the very occasional sale pops in. My views are ok and my CTR quite healthy.

I used to log in here first thing in the morning and keep checking for sales but now it's almost lunchtime before I get round to it and it won't be too long before it's every couple of days before I check.

Fair enough Alex :)

I'm hoping that my severe pruning of my two pseudos into one in which I believe in will create a better ranking. It's been long overdue and this morning all of the images finally went into it.

Be interesting to see how it goes over the next few months.

Despite of

{\rtf1\ansi\ansicpg1252

{\fonttbl\f0\fnil\fcharset0 TrebuchetMS;}

{\colortbl;\red255\green255\blue255;\red102\green102\blue102;}

\deftab720

\pard\pardeftab720\partightenfactor0

\f0\fs32 \cf2 \expnd0\expndtw0\kerning0

\outl0\strokewidth0 \strokec2 \

}

No sales for almost two months...what Am I doing wrong?

5 sales for $128.

The good news is that my income this year has already bettered last year and I have sold 1 more image than last year's total already.

John

16 sales for $1547, excellent month, very happy. Best month for a long time. Thank you Alamy.

Marc

Nicely done.  I have to ask: where on earth do you get all that stuff to photograph?

2 sales  - the first sales since 2012  - of the same image. $856 gross. (Still waiting payment :( )  

Details - (I would love to have seen this if it were displayed on a billboard. Can't find the web site one)

C71A7R

Usage: Advertising/Promotion
Media: Outdoor Display – Billboard/Transit Ad
Industry sector: Telecoms
Print run: up to 20
Image Size: Full area
Start: 10 June 2014
End: 10 July 2014

Usage: Non-Editorial Electronic and web uses
Media: Web advertisement, single design
Industry sector: Telecoms
Start: 28 June 2014