How were your sales in June 2014?

I only had 10 sales in June (12 "items" because of a refund) for $806.  Must. Try. Harder.

But I'm not moving around much right now because I chainsawed a gaping 2 x 6" chunk of meat out of the back of my leg.  I thought I was a goner, but it's healing up nicely.

Reimar, how are you feeling?!

This happened on Friday, but I got sewn up later that same day.  One day in hospital (hell on wheels!), I'm off codeine today, and hobbling around on crutches.  Compared to the horror of the first day, being an invalid right now is not so bad.

I have a newbie question on this topic. Once upon a time I heard or read that income from stock licensing averaged out to $0.25 per image per year. A person with 100K images on offer would therefore probably net $25K annually.

Granting in advance that there are market fluctuations, differences in subject matter and photographic skill, etc., do you think that estimate is high, low or about right?

I'm just getting started with Alamy, although not with photography in general, and am trying to plan how much effort to put into this and what to expect in the long run.

Thanks,

Don

Nil - Nil for me..I'm blaming the FIFA match.  First time in a few months not licensing an image.

I don't understand what's happening either.  My psuedo went through the roof for a very short period of time, then tanked.  I refuse to stop uploading images in order to keep a higher CTR.

2ds2rll.jpg

I also have a cleared balance of $75.00 which won't be paid out until I achieve a cleared balance of $75.01 or higher.

It's going to be a long summer for me unfortunately.

I have a newbie question on this topic. Once upon a time I heard or read that income from stock licensing averaged out to $0.25 per image per year. A person with 100K images on offer would therefore probably net $25K annually.

Granting in advance that there are market fluctuations, differences in subject matter and photographic skill, etc., do you think that estimate is high, low or about right?

I'm just getting started with Alamy, although not with photography in general, and am trying to plan how much effort to put into this and what to expect in the long run.

Thanks,

Don

Net RPIs run from a few cents to tens of dollars - it depends what  you shoot and where you place it.

I only had 10 sales in June (12 "items" because of a refund) for $806.  Must. Try. Harder.

But I'm not moving around much right now because I chainsawed a gaping 2 x 6" chunk of meat out of the back of my leg.  I thought I was a goner, but it's healing up nicely.

Is that a metaphor for our favourite agency taking their pound of flesh? ;)

Just joshing, sounds horrific and hope you get well soon Reimar.

7 sales, which is best month this year, just under $125 net.

Funny month: the four better sales were in the first fortnight, when my CTR was recorded at much higher than Alamy's. Almost no views in the second fortnight, so CTR now half of Alamy's, and only 3 x $6.55 sales at the end of the month, one probably the one I discovered unpaid by the aforementioned publication, from July 2011 (when prices were higher).

So now, halfway through the year, sales are 1/3 of last year, and revenue 1/4.

Thanks,

Don

My highest net RPI is something over $10 and rising - for a collection of RF

My lowest is just over $0.50.  That's here.  Even here it was much higher a year or two ago.  My average for non-commercial editorial work is much higher than this.

Much depends on the where and the what.  Commercial work, properly placed, should net well over $10 (so my earnings there are a bit on the low side).  Serious editorial work properly placed should earn a few dollars at least. 

Somebody like George Steinmetz (Corbis) will be getting very good returns because he photographs things and places that nobody else does.

Some people are just happy to tootle around photographing cats, robins, swans, scarecrows, sunsets, heritage sites, folk in rustic costumes, etc, and earn a few cents.  To a large extent this is what Alamy is about. 

Robert:  To answer the question, eight sales for gross (Alamy's) receipts of about $550.  I've noticed that many shots in your collection are of commercial trademarks.  Do you sell many of these?  Has no owner of the trademark ever protested?  Do you rely totally on Alamy's terms of sale to ensure that these images will only be used editorially?  I had been under the impression that Alamy would reject images in which commercial trademarks occupy a prominent place in the image.  Obviously not, judging from your collection.  You seem to be doing very well indeed.  How many images in the Alamy collection?  Cheers, Ollie

Robert:  To answer the question, eight sales for gross (Alamy's) receipts of about $550.  I've noticed that many shots in your collection are of commercial trademarks.  Do you sell many of these?  Has no owner of the trademark ever protested?  Do you rely totally on Alamy's terms of sale to ensure that these images will only be used editorially?  I had been under the impression that Alamy would reject images in which commercial trademarks occupy a prominent place in the image.  Obviously not, judging from your collection.  You seem to be doing very well indeed.  How many images in the Alamy collection?  Cheers, Ollie

Ollie - yes I do. The Tesco distribution centre* and Shell fuel pump have both sold twice.  Packets of Persil - the buyers are queuing up for that one.  If I did more on the big brands in a social context, I would make a lot more here.  I think it would help a lot if there was a simple way of marking images as editorial only, however (brands are fine for editorial use).  I don't really have the time to spend on Alamy admin work, and the user is responsible for inappropriate use anyway.  And if I did, I would lose sales: one of the Tesco licenses was for corporate use ... by Tesco.

And to answer the OP's question:  $367 for 5 sales

* Correction: Tesco three times

Archived