Is there any way to add a keyword to more than on pic without having to call them up indivually

Batch processing is great, but say you want to add a single keyword to 50 pictures that are already keyworded and for sale. Is there any way to do this so you can do them all at once? I know if you put pics in batch processing it rewrites everything. And doing it one by one is very tedious.

Have I been missing something in Alamy measures all this time?

Jill

I'm pretty sure you can't do this. Alamy have been asked on numerous occasions if this could be implemented. I can't recall if a response has been given.

I just copy the word in question and cycle through the pics pasting it onto the end.

Alan

I'm pretty sure you can't do this. Alamy have been asked on numerous occasions if this could be implemented. I can't recall if a response has been given.

I just copy the word in question and cycle through the pics pasting it onto the end.

Alan

That's pretty much what I have been doing. Maybe someday they will implement this improvement. 

Jill

If you have a large collection, you can ask member service for the process using an excel sheet. That way it's very easy to do precisely what you've asked for.

It used to be in the Help files somewhere, but I cannot find it.

Personally I have a small collection and have no experience with it.

wim

I still have a small collection, so its not like I would be doing thousands, but time is time, and it would be nice to realize you could add a keyword without having to do it one image at a time. A lot would depend on how many images you had requiring this. I'm going to start a file on keywords for specific subjects to save myself the energy later on. 

Jill

I had this problem when the "Location" box became unsearchable, as I had many images where the location needed to be in the keywords.

My keywording rarely extends into the "comprehensive" box, so I was able to update numbers of images from each location by batch processing to add location details into the "comprehensive" box.

I had this problem when the "Location" box became unsearchable, as I had many images where the location needed to be in the keywords.

My keywording rarely extends into the "comprehensive" box, so I was able to update numbers of images from each location by batch processing to add location details into the "comprehensive" box.

I find when I put photos that already are keyworded into batch processing, everything is wiped out. How do you keep it from doing that?

Jill

I find when I put photos that already are keyworded into batch processing, everything is wiped out. How do you keep it from doing that?

Jill

You can't.  Peter was only able to do it because he had nothing else in the compkeys.

A facility such as you suggest really should be available and would outstrip all the functionality offered by the recent (forgive me, but mostly cosmetic) changes to My Alamy by a country mile.

I still have a small collection, so its not like I would be doing thousands, but time is time, and it would be nice to realize you could add a keyword without having to do it one image at a time. A lot would depend on how many images you had requiring this. I'm going to start a file on keywords for specific subjects to save myself the energy later on. 

Jill

Jill, in Photoshop, I go to the bar up top "Tools"  "Create Metadata template.  In effect, if I take a lot of pictures of a subject, say an American Robin, then I create a template with all the common keywords for the bird along with scientific name.  When I have a new image of the robin, I simply go to Tools>Append Metadata and find the title of the template I want to apply.  Once done, I add any new keywords that apply to that image that may be different.  For instance, fence, eating, seed.

Or tree, branch, perched.  Or male or female.

This has saved me untold amount of work.  I also have other information, but I imagine my personal info is stripped out by Alamy.  It's still there in the template, though, along with copyright info.

I'd bet I have 40-60 templates, (maybe a lot more than that, lol) covering flowers, trees, butterflies, tigers, and other things.  If I have 6 images of a Monarch butterfly I want to keyword, I highlight all six, find my template and apply to all as a batch.  I always keyword before uploading.  They stay with the image, so if I send them elsewhere I don't have to do it again.

But like you, if I want to revisit on Alamy and add a word to several images, I have to do it the hard way, one at a time.

Betty

Jill

Jill, in Photoshop, I go to the bar up top "Tools"  "Create Metadata template.  In effect, if I take a lot of pictures of a subject, say an American Robin, then I create a template with all the common keywords for the bird along with scientific name.  When I have a new image of the robin, I simply go to Tools>Append Metadata and find the title of the template I want to apply.  Once done, I add any new keywords that apply to that image that may be different.  For instance, fence, eating, seed.

This has saved me untold amount of work.  I also have other information, but I imagine my personal info is stripped out by Alamy.  It's still there in the template, though, along with copyright info.

I'd bet I have 40-60 templates, (maybe a lot more than that, lol) covering flowers, trees, butterflies, tigers, and other things.  If I have 6 images of a Monarch butterfly I want to keyword, I highlight all six, find my template and apply to all as a batch.  I always keyword before uploading.  They stay with the image, so if I send them elsewhere I don't have to do it again.

But like you, if I want to revisit on Alamy and add a word to several images, I have to do it the hard way, one at a time.

Betty

How would you design the template so as the keywords go in the Main Keywords instead of essential? I may set up some templates tomorrow as I do cover some of the same type subjects. Does Alamy cut off the keywords when it fills the spaces for essential, or continue them on into main?

Jill

Jill

Only the fields that you edit will be wiped out, so, as Peter said, if you have a blank field available you can enter stuff there without losing the rest.

However, I would agree that an ability to insert or delete a word over a range of images without changing anything else would be most useful.

The Lightroom plugin for Alamy allows you to batch edit in Lightroom then upload your changes to Alamy. So if you select 50 images in Lightroom, add the additional keyword in ess-keys or wherever you want then you just `upload metadata`.

Jill

Betty

How would you design the template so as the keywords go in the Main Keywords instead of essential? I may set up some templates tomorrow as I do cover some of the same type subjects. Does Alamy cut off the keywords when it fills the spaces for essential, or continue them on into main?

Jill

The keywords you put in before uploading will all go into the Comprehensive field. You will need to cut and paste to move them around. As mentioned, there is a plugin for Lightroom that many find helpful.

Paulette

A way around this is to copy all of your keywords and paste them into Notepad or TextEdit or any text editor. You can then add the new keyword, copy the whole lot ie the old keywords plus the new one. Then you can batch edit and paste the copied text which is your complete set of newly updated keywords into the batch editor. Of course this only works where you have a set of pictures with identical keywords. An append keywords feature would be great. 

Jill

Betty

Jill

The keywords you put in before uploading will all go into the Comprehensive field. You will need to cut and paste to move them around. As mentioned, there is a plugin for Lightroom that many find helpful.

Paulette

That would work all right for me. 

And a +1 for You and Betty

Jill

Jill

Betty

Jill

They all go into comprehensive, and from there I break them up into esskeys and main. Cut and paste.

Archived