"Now I'm off to delete all my work from Alamy. Good luck to all!" -- Charly

And what would the point be in doing that, Charly? Sheila's way of exiting Alamy, no longer viewing them as a path for her new work but leaving her present collection in place, makes sense if she's dissatisfied  Many people in this forum have advised you to add new images to your collection in the year you've been here, but you haven't done that. 

If I decide to disconnect from Alamy, who I do not see as a villain in the stock world, I will do as Sheila (might) do. 

As has been mentioned many times by others on this forum, the problem with leaving my work on Alamy is that it will compete with my own pricing. Case in point -  I recently was contacted via Photoshelter (btw, this was the very first nibble I have had on Photoshelter but I do not promote my PS site) by a web developer asking for a price on a particular image (which is exceedingly popular with infringers).  I gave him a reasonable quote and then thought what happens if he finds the same image on Alamy which is undercutting me tenfold under this new pricing scheme?   Fortunately, the image is under a pseudonym so he cannot search for my name (or can he?).  I am now going to place more restrictions on the image until I hear back from him.

Sheila

This is also a problem I have run into, Sheila. I even had a very well known UK publisher ask me to refund the difference between a price they agreed with me and a later quote they received from A.

In  my personal situation (I am quite niche) I have never made a direct sale from PS in over 2 years now, all sales are made through email after publishers find what they need on the web. But even with that the total sales numbers are very very small compared to A.

I am very interested to see how your changes work though ;+) I am still looking for my "port in the storm" where I have good control and a steady rate of reasonable returns per image. 

Many people in this forum have advised you to add new images to your collection in the year you've been here, but you haven't done that. 

I think you have me confused with someone else, as I've not complained about low sales. Being a realist, I am fully aware my sales would be small due to the quanity of images and I not being as good as other photogs. Not to mention, I take few images of people. ;)

I tend to agree. I can appreciate Charly's concerns; however, if I were to exit Alamy, which I'm not planning to do, I would leave my collection with them. It took a lot of work and time (I'm slow) to get all those images online, and deleting everything wouldn't exactly be cost-effective. Also, Alamy is one of the few good guys in today's cut-throat stock photo world IMO. But of course everyone has to choose his or her own path

I agree Alamy is one of the few good ones, but their latest hit to contributor's was enough for me to leave them too.

I gave him a reasonable quote and then thought what happens if he finds the same image on Alamy which is undercutting me tenfold under this new pricing scheme?

This is a major reason for deleting my images and am ok with losing all the hours I put into submitting images. Sometimes the price of learning is wasting time.

Just to be even-handed about it...  I voiced my concern about low fees above regarding a $29 RF license listed in the same way a RM sale would be.  I have to say that a $365 RF sale came in today.  Haven't seen many of those lately, but they're always welcome.

• 3 weeks later...

I need help to understand the price structure. At a first glance, for example, the price structure for RF images shows four prices: Presentation EUR 15.00, Website EUR 29.00, etc. When I click on the link "Royalty-fee license options" there are prices depending on the image size starting at EUR 49.00.

Who can explain it?

Is it really true that the client always downloads the full res file?

Regarding the image display on a web page ... Some licencees are hosting high-resolution images on the server and just shrinking them down with HTML by specifying the WIDTH and HEIGHT in the IMG SRC tag. Obviously the issue is that Google can index the image files at the hosted resolution - often with stripped metadata e.g. copyright notice.

I need help to understand the price structure. At a first glance, for example, the price structure for RF images shows four prices: Presentation EUR 15.00, Website EUR 29.00, etc. When I click on the link "Royalty-fee license options" there are prices depending on the image size starting at EUR 49.00.

Who can explain it?

Good question.

• 2 weeks later...

"The pro photographer is dead"

not yet

km

I put that in quotations because it's a term that's used quite regularly to scare monger new photographers. I don't believe it to be true. Plenty of pros out there doing their thing with not a sniff of worry about lack of work :) 

Archived