Anyone have the Fuji X-T1?

I like that Fuji keeps things consistent.  :-)

Off to a food tasting at a restaurant and bringing the Fuji...I don't have the macro but I'll just have to be 11.8 inches away with the 2 lenses I do have.

I'm loving the fact I have the Fuji,2 lenses Yongnuo 560 III,Rogue Flashbender  all packed in my smaller Swiss Zinc bag that probably weights as much put together as my Canon 6D,24-105mm and bracket.

:-)

L

Yes, you can carry near on a full system in a small shoulder bag. I use a small Crumpler bag that will either take 4 lens (inc 55-200) plus camera or 2 with Yongnuo 560III, Fuji X-EF20 plus triggers and batteries etc. It feels much more enjoyable traveling light while knowing you still have everything you need.

I think  the Fuji 10-24mm is  probably about less than an inch each way bigger than the Fuji 18-55mm. The 10-24 takes a 62mm filter as opposed to 58mm of the 18-55mm.

It's not very heavy though heavier than the 18-55 it's a nice balanced weight.

L

The specs I have seen say it takes a 72mm filter thread Linda which makes it quite big.  I still want one though. Just need a better month than I'm having right now!

Pearl

I think  the Fuji 10-24mm is  probably about less than an inch each way bigger than the Fuji 18-55mm. The 10-24 takes a 62mm filter as opposed to 58mm of the 18-55mm.

L

The specs I have seen say it takes a 72mm filter thread Linda which makes it quite big.  I still want one though. Just need a better month than I'm having right now!

Pearl

You are right Pearl,it is a 72mm filter thread. I usually buy a UV at the same time but bought the lens used on ebay and it came with a B+W UV filter. It is still light enough for me to hand hold with one hand and hold my flash unit with diffuser in the other.I could not do that with my Canon 6D and 24-105mm.    L

L

Interesting.... same filter as the 23, 56, 55-200 i believe. Maybe worth while in the future.... trade in the 14mm of course. Time will tell but liking the positive reviews so far!!

The 10-24 is also internal zoom so no change to length as with the other zooms. Helps with consistent balance while handheld.

Allan

L

Interesting.... same filter as the 23, 56, 55-200 i believe. Maybe worth while in the future.... trade in the 14mm of course. Time will tell but liking the positive reviews so far!!

The 10-24 is also internal zoom so no change to length as with the other zooms. Helps with consistent balance while handheld.

Allan

Similar to the 17-40L then. In time I may swap over, it would be nice to have 10mm (15mm ff).

L

Allan

Similar to the 17-40L then. In time I may swap over, it would be nice to have 10mm (15mm ff).

I had the Canon 17-40L 3 diff times. Never my fave lens.The 10-24 definitely feels smaller.I always thought the Canon 17-40 just didn't feel right for some reason.  I am loving this camera and have been able to get photos that have been epic fail in the past with Nikon and Canon systems. I've used the X-T1 in barely there ambient   light at iso 800 and it looks like 'fine art.' :-)    Last night I did some food shoots at a media dinner---just quick ones and it was not a paid job .Though I had to be a foot away I still used the 10-24mm and off camera flash and they look fine. I know,wrong tool for the job,but I wanted to see how bad/good the camera would be in the real world. My 60mm macro arrives this week.      L

L

Allan

I had the Canon 17-40L 3 diff times. Never my fave lens.The 10-24 definitely feels smaller.I always thought the Canon 17-40 just didn't feel right for some reason.  I am loving this camera and have been able to get photos that have been epic fail in the past with Nikon and Canon systems. I've used the X-T1 in barely there ambient   light at iso 800 and it looks like 'fine art.' :-)    Last night I did some food shoots at a media dinner---just quick ones and it was not a paid job .Though I had to be a foot away I still used the 10-24mm and off camera flash and they look fine. I know,wrong tool for the job,but I wanted to see how bad/good the camera would be in the real world. My 60mm macro arrives this week.      L

Hummm.... once they get this on offer (few months time no doubt) i think i may get a hold of a copy. Glad you are getting on well with the T1  :D

I love it but I'm still putting it thru the paces. A friend was in my living room and the only light was from the tv and they were about 5-6 feet away.Very little light on the subject.I had my Yongnuo flash but no focus beam on that.The camera would not lock focus.

On the XT-1 I have it set for focus beam(or whatever) but I don't see a beam.I read the manual but can't seem to figure why it's not assisting focus in low light.

L

Back from the Lake District today (first trip there with the puppy). Took the 14,23, 56 and 55-200.

The sharpness of the images from the three primes, especially the 23 & 56, made me think there was oil smeared on the 55-200 lens :D

That zoom is no slouch either but hell, it's completely impossible to be any sharper than these two lenses.... The 60mm may have been knocked off No1 position.

If I have the time to swap lenses around when out and about, I think these 3 primes will keep the covers on the 18-55mm. I'll save that for when time is short and I'm not sure what FL is needed. Man..... I could kiss the Fuji engineers for the quality of their lenses.... breathtaking!!

Edit.... posted at the same time.

Check out whether you have it in silent mode. I know that stops things like the flash from working (flash is not stealthy and is switched off). It could be the same for the focus beam....

In fact, I just checked it out and it does stop it from working. Silent mode is in the first Blue menu, make sure it is off. If it was switched on to silence the beeps, go to volume under sound set up and set it to off. I made that mistake originally.

Thanks for that! Yes I do remember silent mode was switched off.I'm going to have to put post it notes on my forehead!

Lucky you having the 56mm.Mine is on order but I did receive the 60mm and 55-200mm and extra batteries today.

Tomorrow we have decent temps so will put this all thru the test.

I'll probably sell the 55-200mm when the 50-140(or whatever) 2.8 comes out.

L

PS...Lucky you have a puppy!  My condo is no pets. :-(

Wow,I just tried the Fuji 55-200mm @ 1/4 f 5.6(wide open on the 200mm end  and the images are sharp.Just a shot of my lamp.

I've never been able to do that with other cameras and have the photo be as sharp.

The Fuji X-T1  could be my favorite camera system I've ever used!

The 60mm macro for portraits is sharp and beautiful wide open. Not as slow as others have stated in the past.

I've purchased all of my lenses used-only a month or two old in mint condition and have saved a bundle. The 10-24mm I got for $795! Seller gave me the receipt from B&H purchased 40 days ago!

:-)

L

By the time I get done buying all of the great Fuji lenses,my camera bag could be heavier than it was with all of my DSLR gear!

I've had many Fuji's in the past 10 years but this camera is by far the best.

L

Google Groups has a Fuji community

https://plus.google.com/communities/103841647652820008887?cfem=1

I just ordered the Fuji 56 1.2 I paid $80 than list price but I figure I've saved appx $700 from not buying new on the other lenses.

Now I don't know if I should keep my Sony RX10. ...Great camera in it's own right and not a backup to the Fuji. I'm less inclined to go out with 2 cameras for stock shoots and I'd never bring this for a red carpet event.

L

OMG, I went downtown Oklahoma City yesterday late afternoon, with threatening rain.  I wanted to get shots of The Peak (Chesapeake Arena, home of the Thunder).  I also wanted shots of the new tallest building, the Devon building.  The rain held off. I got my shots. I was shooting exclusively with the 10-24.  Then, back in the car, Bob and I took another street and came across a bridge with a strong upward curve with a great view of the downtown buildings. Bob found a parking spot and we sprinted about a block toward the bridge while sprinkles started falling.

Darn it, I only managed two very quick shots before the rain quickened.  One the first, was so great with this lens it took my breath away.  The 2nd shot basically was uncomposed, and I took off running after the click.  I will go back, hopefully in different weather conditions and times of day.

I'm loving this lens.

As far as the rain goes, I loved it.  We are so dry around here that the grass was crunchy before the rain.  About 1/3 of the state (west part) is in Exceptional (the worst) drought and most of the rest, except far east part, is in Extreme and then Severe.  You should see how shrunken the lakes are.  :(

Betty

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...

I decided to go for an X-T1 and it was delivered today with the 18-135 kit lens and the 56 f1.2 and also decided to get the battery pack for uprights. Very pleased so far with the only downside the fact I can't shoot multiple flashes in CH mode so no real use for red carpets. I'll sell one of my D700 bodies but will hang on to the other for these events.

I've been shooting off camera flash using PW Plus II triggers and the results from the 56 are stunning. I've also managed to set up the wi-fi remote controlling the camera from my Android phone.

Main reason for going mirrorless was to get rid of the DSLR weight so I'll probably get another X-T1 body and prime with the proceeds from the Nikon gear.

I decided to go for an X-T1 and it was delivered today with the 18-135 kit lens and the 56 f1.2 and also decided to get the battery pack for uprights. Very pleased so far with the only downside the fact I can't shoot multiple flashes in CH mode so no real use for red carpets. I'll sell one of my D700 bodies but will hang on to the other for these events.

I've been shooting off camera flash using PW Plus II triggers and the results from the 56 are stunning. I've also managed to set up the wi-fi remote controlling the camera from my Android phone.

Main reason for going mirrorless was to get rid of the DSLR weight so I'll probably get another X-T1 body and prime with the proceeds from the Nikon gear.

How have you found the autofocus for red carpet jobs? Others have suggested the Fuji is not quick enough, I have found it marginal in some news circumstances but I found that getting used to a very slightly longer shutter lag was workable for people photography but not sport. I will be interested to see how the fortcoming f2.8 zooms do with their triple drive AF, it should tell us whether it is lens or camera that is limiting AF speed.

That 56mm lens is really good, possibly their best lens!..... the 23mm comes very close though, just as sharp... a beautiful lens as well. Until about a month ago I had the 14mm prime but traded it for the 10-24mm. That is also another gem... it seemed to outperform the 14mm at the edges when at 14mm.... very good zoom. 

That 56mm lens is really good, possibly their best lens!..... the 23mm comes very close though, just as sharp... a beautiful lens as well. Until about a month ago I had the 14mm prime but traded it for the 10-24mm. That is also another gem... it seemed to outperform the 14mm at the edges when at 14mm.... very good zoom. 

Strange you should mention the 10-24 and 14mm lenses. I had to send my 10-24 away to have it readjusted as it was showing excessive OOF down both sides of the image and worst on the right side encroaching into the image by as much as 20% of width. Particularly bad at 10mm, which is what I wanted it for. It came back a couple of days ago and after a quick trial it seems much better now but still a bit of OOF at 10mm. I also have the 14mm prime and after some recent trials find it to be superior to the 10-24 at 14mm. I will keep both lenses for now and see how things pan out.

After buying the 18-135 as a walkabout lens I am wondering if I have made a mistake putting the 18-55 in in PX for it. I find I am not too happy with the IQ from it either.

The above is the reason I recently purchased the 14mm, 23mm, and 56mm lenses. I already have the 35mm prime. Buying those lenses three together netted me a £500 refund. :)

I am considering whether to buy the Sony RX10 as a walkabout camera and ditch the 18-135 fuji lens. What do you good folk think?

Allan

Hello, when I wrote the last sentence I entered RX100 by mistake. Have now altered it to RX10 which is what I meant to say.

Allan

Strange you should mention the 10-24 and 14mm lenses. I had to send my 10-24 away to have it readjusted as it was showing excessive OOF down both sides of the image and worst on the right side encroaching into the image by as much as 20% of width. Particularly bad at 10mm, which is what I wanted it for. It came back a couple of days ago and after a quick trial it seems much better now but still a bit of OOF at 10mm. I also have the 14mm prime and after some recent trials find it to be superior to the 10-24 at 14mm. I will keep both lenses for now and see how things pan out.

After buying the 18-135 as a walkabout lens I am wondering if I have made a mistake putting the 18-55 in in PX for it. I find I am not too happy with the IQ from it either.

The above is the reason I recently purchased the 14mm, 23mm, and 56mm lenses. I already have the 35mm prime. Buying those lenses three together netted me a £500 refund. :)

I am considering whether to buy the Sony RX100 as a walkabout camera and ditch the 18-135 fuji lens. What do you good folk think?

Allan

I use the 18-135mm as my default lens and my few stock submissions from it all passed QC. I have uploaded 100s through the news channel as well with no problems. I do watch for CA nd fringing though on raw images (ooc jpegs deal with it well). I am happy with it but I tend not to obsess about lens performance (but would be unhappy with side to side oof though) - I work on the basis that (properly built) lenses from major manufacturers are far better than my technique. Seems to work - I judge real images on their own merits rather than test results unless I suspect a problem as I did with CA on the 18-135 when I ran a set of tests to understand the causes, and then found it on my 18-55!

I was glad I had not sold my 18-55mm as I had intended, I dropped and wrecked my first 18-135mm in the middle of a week long festival I was covering. I switched to working with the 18-55 and 55-200 using my (I thought redundant) X-E1 and the still working X-T1 (but it needed some repairs). Fuji replaced my 18-135mm for a very modest price rather than repair it, fortunately my insurance covered it. So I must be one of the few people who is on their second 18-135mm. But working with two cameras did suggest that I could have worked with fast  primes esp 23, 35 and 56mm if I had had them (i was on the ragged edge for exposure even at ISO3200). Seriously thinking about it as a possibility when my Canon kit goes.

I am considering whether to buy the Sony RX100 as a walkabout camera and ditch the 18-135 fuji lens. What do you good folk think?

Allan

I use the 18-135mm as my default lens and my few stock submissions from it all passed QC. I have uploaded 100s through the news channel as well with no problems. I do watch for CA nd fringing though on raw images (ooc jpegs deal with it well). I am happy with it but I tend not to obsess about lens performance (but would be unhappy with side to side oof though) - I work on the basis that (properly built) lenses from major manufacturers are far better than my technique. Seems to work - I judge real images on their own merits rather than test results unless I suspect a problem as I did with CA on the 18-135 when I ran a set of tests to understand the causes, and then found it on my 18-55!

I was glad I had not sold my 18-55mm as I had intended, I dropped and wrecked my first 18-135mm in the middle of a week long festival I was covering. I switched to working with the 18-55 and 55-200 using my (I thought redundant) X-E1 and the still working X-T1 (but it needed some repairs). Fuji replaced my 18-135mm for a very modest price rather than repair it, fortunately my insurance covered it. So I must be one of the few people who is on their second 18-135mm. But working with two cameras did suggest that I could have worked with fast  primes esp 23, 35 and 56mm if I had had them (i was on the ragged edge for exposure even at ISO3200). Seriously thinking about it as a possibility when my Canon kit goes.

Thanks for your comments Martin. At present I have two X-T1 bodies, one for zoom lenses and one for primes. Seems to work at the moment.

Allan

Allan, I am waiting for the X-T2 before I buy another body. By then I will have sold my Canon kit and should have the cash - but first I want to see how fast the AF is with forthcoming f2.8 zooms. I also need to see how my new start up photography business is going. Any new spend has to be justified in terms of income creation.

Archived