iPad Application for Newsworthy Images

Ed Endicott

Since Alamy is getting into the iPad/iPhone app business, I would like to recommend an app designed specifically for live news contributors (independent of Stockimo).  I am re-working my business this year so that I may shoot a newsworthy event on a regular camera, transfer the images to my iPad via WiFi (or EyeFi card), then upload the images from the field via the iPad.  I think this would help news contributors get images to Alamy much faster and allow photographers to stay in the field longer if necessary while being more portable and moveable.

Thanks.

The workflow ReeRay links to seems to depend on what camera you have. I haven't had any issues transfering and processing .nef files from my Nikon D300 and I've been able to ftp them directly to my PhotoShelter site using FilterStorm. If you have an Alamy ftp account for news Filterstorm should work here too.

I am changing up my workflow this year and I am thinking the iPad is the way to go.  I too have a Photoshelter account and can FTP through them.  My issue is that if I'm covering an event like a wildfire (very common in Colorado), I will usually have to drive an hour or so at least to cover the fire from a decent angle.  If I waited until I got back home to process and upload, my images will be hours old at times and after driving, photographing, etc. the last thing I want to do is spend another couple of hours culling and editing images for upload - this is what happened to me during the floods last year.  I would like to be able to upload from the field, but I also want to keep expenses down (otherwise I'd go with a Macbook Air and a portable hotspot through my wireless carrier).  Camera to iPad to Alamy (or even Photoshelter to Alamy) would be a great solution - I wouldn't have to worry about finding a WiFi location all of the time (which is scarce in certain areas).

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Alamy...any chance of a change of heart?

I'm probably in a similar situation to many other Alamy photographers in that I can't afford to purchase an Apple iPhone to participate in Stockimo. I use a Galaxy S4, with a 13 MB sensor, the results of which are superb; but they can't be submitted to Stockimo because  Alamy writes...

"We’ve seen some images coming through via Stockimo that aren’t shot on phones*. We set up Stockimo to source and collect iPhone photos so we’ll be rejecting pictures that aren’t shot on a phone*. Sorry, but if we are to package and promote the collection as shot on phones we need to be confident about the product." (*presumably meaning iPhones).  A bit like saying in the early days of digital photography that we'll only take images shot with a Canon. So to all you Nikon users...tough!

Naturally that didn't happen, instead Alamy produced a check-list of cameras that produced images of acceptable quality. Would it really be so difficult to apply a similar system to Stockimo, so that the rest of us have a chance to participate?

George, I know it might not help if you have no access to any igizmo, but stockimo submissions can be produced on other flavours of phone, you just need to submit via the app, which you need an ipad or iphone to run .. ..

Alamy...any chance of a change of heart?

"We’ve seen some images coming through via Stockimo that aren’t shot on phones*. We set up Stockimo to source and collect iPhone photos so we’ll be rejecting pictures that aren’t shot on a phone*. Sorry, but if we are to package and promote the collection as shot on phones we need to be confident about the product." (*presumably meaning iPhones).  A bit like saying in the early days of digital photography that we'll only take images shot with a Canon. So to all you Nikon users...tough!

Hi George,

Alex (with his post above this one) is correct, we don't just mean iPhones.

Alamy

A thought occurred...

In the Stockimo contract, clause 7.1 begins, "You grant to Alamy a worldwide, non-exclusive, royalty-free, transferable license ... "  so I would understand from that I can send the same images to another agency, also on a non-exclusive basis? 

However, clause 7.2 goes on, "You grant Alamy permission to sell your Images at any price and by any method we feel appropriate without Alamy having to consult you." by which I presume you mean that commercial images will be sold as RF and editorial images sold as RM.

So if Alamy is selling an image as RM, and another agency is selling the same image as RF,  will that cause concern to Alamy/Stockimo? a little clarification on both points would be helpful if at all possible.

Thank you...George

Images which are RM on Alamy can't be offered as RF anywhere else.

But George's point is that it's Alamy who choose the "appropriate" licence. If that's for an image that is already offered as RF elsewhere but Alamy decide that the appropriate method is RM...

But George's point is that it's Alamy who choose the "appropriate" licence. If that's for an image that is already offered as RF elsewhere but Alamy decide that the appropriate method is RM...

Not exactly. When you indicate an image can be used commercially it's licensed by Stockimo as RF. If you indicate it can't be used commercially it's RM. 

Problem is, I don't know how many photographers are aware that they're setting the license structure when they click the button and yes, it could lead to the same image being licensed under both. Hopefully Stockimo will clarify this a bit better in V 2.

I'm still confused. If it's stated that commercial images will be sold as RF and editorial images will sold as RM, does that mean that RF images won't be sold for editorial use?  Can I be sure that any images marked as available for commercial use will be designated as RF? Not according to the contract!

I should add that I'm not being awkward, just trying to make sure that neither photographer - or agency - finds unexpected hassle creeping out of the woodwork! I'm sure that Alamy will clarify tomorrow and give us their definitive interpretation of the situation...

The license type is set automatically based on answers to the questions we ask. If you have releases for property and people they will be RF and fine for commercial use, if you don’t have releases and they can only be used editorially then they’ll automatically be set to RM.

When you upload a photo to Stockimo we’ll ask you a few questions, for example...is there identifiable property in the photo? do you have written permission? etc. The answers you give to these questions will determine whether the image will be sold as RF or RM.

If you’ve got releases for property and people (if there’s property and people in the photo) and can be used for commercial use then we will license it as RF

If there are no releases for property/people then we’ll only sell it as RM. Some RF images can still be sold for editorial licenses if required by the client.

This thread was originally about news submissions and has gone way off topic.

If you have any questions related to stockimo, you should email support@stockimo.com and they'll be happy to help.

Cheers

Alamy

Archived