Importing files to an I.mac

Hi all,

Bought an I.mac a year or so ago but have not really used it much but, managing to sit on my windows laptop last week and writing it off (don't ask !!), have been on a steep learning curve the past few days and loving the mac !

Today, I have connected up the D700 to the mac to import three raw files and am struggling....it does not appear under devices and the only way that partially worked was importing through I.photo but it would only import two of the files but the third came up with "image capture core error 9905". The two that did import were j.pegs which I guess are the embedded thumbnails. Even tried lightroom but it cant find the D700.

Is a card reader the only answer or is there a way to import direct from the camera via cable/usb?

Thanks in advance !

I use a card reader. Faster as well. Insert the card, find it in your RAW developer and import images. In Lightroom the import function will probably default to the card reader to make things very simple.

Good luck, hope this helps

You can always use "Image Capture", which came installed on my iMac, and import files to any folder you wish.

I use it for importing Fuji files.

Connect camera via USB cable.

Allan

Thank you for the replies....for now, I have dug out an ancient card reader and that worked fine ! I have yet to discover image capture Allan....it is quite a learning curve but am very impressed with the I.mac, so fast....I may be tempted to get a Macbook pro as well !!

Thank you for the replies....for now, I have dug out an ancient card reader and that worked fine ! I have yet to discover image capture Allan....it is quite a learning curve but am very impressed with the I.mac, so fast....I may be tempted to get a Macbook pro as well !!

Click on "Launch Pad" (looks like rocket in the dock area). Then click on "Other" find "Image Capture" second line down and second in from left. (At least that is where it is on my iMac). For convenience I placed it on my "Docking Area".

Allan

Thank you Allan, will do !

Just need to get the internet sorted and all will be well...all the other devices in the place I live work fine but the mac keeps losing the signal so for now have it plugged into an ethernet adaptor that has improved it a little...once that is sorted I can look at downloading cs6 on the subscription-I have elements but don't really like it !

I really like Adobe Bridge as a file manager. It works like Explorer in windows, with a file tree on the left and all your photos as icons on the right. In Bridge I go to my card in the card reader and drag my RAW files to my mac's hard disk. Lightroom probably does the same but as the only human being on the planet that doesn't like Lightroom I can't say. 

Col

Thanks for the info Collin and no,I don't like Lightroom either !! I was happy with CS2 but that has gone with the trashed laptop so had a go with Elements today and don't like that much either so think it will have to be CS6 even though it has way way more than I need !

Have a look at DxO optics then. I love it, nice and easy, good RAW conversions and its automated lens corrections are fab. Just download the module for your camera and lenses and it all happens automatically. No more CA, purple fringing, vignetting, distortion. The only negative with DxO is that they don't and probably will not support he Fuji X-Trans sensor so if you are or will be a Fuji user then you will have to go with Capture One.

Col

Have a look at DxO optics then. I love it, nice and easy, good RAW conversions and its automated lens corrections are fab. Just download the module for your camera and lenses and it all happens automatically. No more CA, purple fringing, vignetting, distortion. The only negative with DxO is that they don't and probably will not support he Fuji X-Trans sensor so if you are or will be a Fuji user then you will have to go with Capture One.

Col

I have the Fuji X.pro 1 so DxO is out, I will look at Capture one as I can download for a trial...if not, then it will be CS6 ! Having said that, I have been archiving the RAW files from the Fuji as the ooc j.pegs are just so good....

I use C1Pro for processing and converting RAW files to TIFF. I then take the TIFF into PSE11 for final work.

Allan

Mass Storage option does not work on the D700 which the Macs like (Nikon removed it from a few models). So you need software to import images from a D700 but the software may also need a update to recognise the D700.

So make sure you have done all updates on the Mac and any software you are using.

Or just carry on using a card reader.

Dave

Thank you Dave,

Think for now that I will just carry on using the card reader !

Signed up to Photoshop cc today so been experimenting with that.....quite an eye opener going from CS2 on a laptop to CC on an I.Mac !!  :o

I started using iPhoto to import my files until one day it just stopped working. The import dialogue popped up and then said the images were corrupted. Naturally I didn't believe this so installed EOS Utility for MAC and all was well after that. Puts all the images in to date folders and you don't have any hassle after that. Don't know why I didn't do that in the first place. Also since getting my iPhone it wants to sync all my Canon pics to my phone. 

No just no. 

Archived