It is an approach I am trying to develop. BTW - good stock comes from it as well. Photographing news forces the photographer to think about how to tell the story; surely the basis of effective stock shooting.

Right on. I think if Alamy were to add slide show options to Live News, it would help in this regard. As it is, the presentation of images is too static IMO -- i.e. it is often difficult to discern a clear story line.

I agree.

Every so often I ask about Alamy promoting photo stories, complete collection of work, ideally it would also allow for an extended article, a package of words and pictures. Alamy editors have shared my view but they have never been able to take it anywhere. There are agencies that do but they seem to focus on quirky, humour, celebrity etc - not my thing. However I am working towards getting a story together to offer to another major agency that does profess interest in complete stories.

I used to enjoy putting together text/photo packages but have more or less stopped the writing part. It just got too difficult to find decently paying markets and fair contracts. Perhaps there is a renewed interest in these types of packages, I don't know. Demotix gives you the option of submitting an extended article with pictures. Haven't tried it myself.

The LiveNews website is irrelevant

the selling is done off-site, by direct contact between the Alamy news team and the pic desks

km

Does that mean that the look of the Alamy website in general is irrelevant as well? After all, ordinary stock photo sales are also negotiated through direct contact between Alamy and buyers. Are they not?

I used to enjoy putting together text/photo packages but have more or less stopped the writing part. It just got too difficult to find decently paying markets and fair contracts. Perhaps there is a renewed interest in these types of packages, I don't know. Demotix gives you the option of submitting an extended article with pictures. Haven't tried it myself.

Demotix do allow an extended story but the contributor does not get paid for it as far as I am aware. It perhaps just makes it easier to tell a less "hard" story?

Demotix do allow an extended story but the contributor does not get paid for it as far as I am aware. It perhaps just makes it easier to tell a less "hard" story?

No payment is what I figured. This is a common problem in the freelance writing world these days - i.e. you have to learn how to literally "eat your words" if you don't want to starve.

news is different to stock

the news team actively contact the pic desks / send out images / follow up stories......

the livenews website plays little if any part

km

Do you know if this is done with papers outside the uk as well as inside? My only interest as mentioned would be if the shots were definitely very newsy, with very little stock value. Is it worth my time to bother with shots that are Canada specific? Shots that only Troronto papers or perhaps the National papers would be interested in?

I know events will always have stock value (such as Gay Pride Week) even if they don't sell as news. But if I have a chance to shoot say the Premier of Ontario with the Premier of Alberta, will these shots have any chance of success in Live News?

Jill

Jill,

It's worth trying anyway as Alamy might try and sell to the Canadian newspapers.

Apart from anything else, Live News would get your images past normal QC and images of the Premiers that you mention could be good stock in a historical sense. As well as trying to get the news angle, always try and get some that could be used as general stock too.

I know events will always have stock value (such as Gay Pride Week) even if they don't sell as news. But if I have a chance to shoot say the Premier of Ontario with the Premier of Alberta, will these shots have any chance of success in Live News?

Jill

Jill,

The thing is you never know. Such a picture may support a story anywhere/ any time on collaboration, the relationship or disputes, even years later. I guess if you have the chance without a lot of cost, yes. Also you don't know what connections you will make as a result of being there.

the news team actively contact the pic desks / send out images / follow up stories......

km

Do you know if this is done with papers outside the uk as well as inside? My only interest as mentioned would be if the shots were definitely very newsy, with very little stock value. Is it worth my time to bother with shots that are Canada specific? Shots that only Troronto papers or perhaps the National papers would be interested in?

Jill

Jill, you might try contacting Alamy News directly and asking them if they approach any Canadian newspapers.

Personally, I think that wolves and polar bears make for much more interesting photographic subjects than premiers and politicians in general. B)

Jill, you might try contacting Alamy News directly and asking them if they approach any Canadian newspapers.

I agree with John's advice above that you should 'contact Alamy news directly'. I always tell them in advance what I am up to. They give me great tips and are always very helpful. 

km

Do you know if this is done with papers outside the uk as well as inside? ...

Jill

Yes - outside the UK as well.  I don't know if Alamy still has the Huff Post account but I have had images show up there.

Alamy has an office in New York and (if I remember right) Texas that deals with North America as a whole. There is a possibility that if it is newsworthy, the images can be used outside the UK.

km

Do you know if this is done with papers outside the uk as well as inside? ...

Jill

Yes - outside the UK as well.  I don't know if Alamy still has the Huff Post account but I have had images show up there.

Alamy has an office in New York and (if I remember right) Texas that deals with North America as a whole. There is a possibility that if it is newsworthy, the images can be used outside the UK.

I used to have fairly regular Huff Post sales, but they were always from my general collection, not from the news feed AFAIK. I haven't had any Huff Po sales for quite a long time.

As mentioned earlier, I've never seen an Alamy image in a Canadian newspaper, which of course doesn't mean that there haven't been any. No big loss perhaps. It's not exactly a lucrative market. That I know from direct experience.

This is from the Alamy Blog:

What will Alamy do with your news images?

Our job at Alamy is to get your news images sold. When you file a news image, it will enter the Alamy news feed. It will immediately be available to all our customers.

Alamy staff will look at the image and the metadata. Very poor images, non-newsworthy images or images with poor caption information could be deleted from the news feed.

Images that we believe are of a high quality and that we believe our customers are likely to want to buy will be sent to our customers directly. We will send these images on spec by FTP.

I have emailed Member Services to check on their Canadian newspaper customers. Hopefully I will hear back.

Our job at Alamy is to get your news images sold. When you file a news image, it will enter the Alamy news feed. It will immediately be available to all our customers.

Alamy staff will look at the image and the metadata. Very poor images, non-newsworthy images or images with poor caption information could be deleted from the news feed.

Images that we believe are of a high quality and that we believe our customers are likely to want to buy will be sent to our customers directly. We will send these images on spec by FTP.

I have emailed Member Services to check on their Canadian newspaper customers. Hopefully I will hear back.

Please keep us posted. IMWTK.

• 9 months later...

A little late here, but, did you get satisfaction Jill?

I found the distributors list actually so didn't need to email. The Toronto Star is the distributor here for Alamy news. Funny thing, I rarely see an Alamy pic in the Star itself.

Jill

Perhaps live news from Toronto or Ontario will have a better chance of being picked up then.

have found some of my live news images on one of the Canadian stock agencies, don't remember which one. So they must be sent there as well.

Archived