Anyone thinking seriously about buying an iPhone?

Not expecting an answer :) , but: "if I take an edgy, creatively filtered, creatively composed , 4 out of 4 image with a phone (that makes the mark for stockimo but not of course for "normal" Alamy QC due to noise, then take an identical image with my D4, why is the D4 image rejected?"

Just submit the D4 image through normal route. End of story...

-Jason

(p.s. just playing devil's advocate here.)

Perhaps I need to repeat "that makes the mark for stockimo but not of course for "normal" Alamy QC due to noise":

I've yet to read anything close to explaining to me why "what took the image" is more important than the image itself.

Couldn't be reverse snobbery of course, we are photographers after all . . .

dd

You shoulda used a Canon. B)

Perhaps I need to repeat "that makes the mark for stockimo but not of course for "normal" Alamy QC due to noise":

I've yet to read anything close to explaining to me why "what took the image" is more important than the image itself.

dd

I didn't miss that, just chose to ignore it. As I said; I was only playing devil's advocate, and now will do so again:

There's certainly no reason to fail for noise with a D4 or any modern dSLR for that matter! I have never had a single failure on alamy for noise and neither have I owned any camera anywhere near as capable as a D4.

It's not about the tool- per se. Just the right tool at the right time and using each one to its particular 'advantages'... There are many 'collections' on alamy (if we include News, Archival, General, and now- Stockimo) and each one has different criteria... If you want to take creative photos with a SLR, go for it. They just have to be technically correct (more or less) to make it to the general collection.

There are also plenty of other places besides Alamy which accept creative work (with slightly less emphasis on technical quality)- and that are arguably much more suited for that type of thing as the market is more geared towards it.

-Jason

There's certainly no reason to fail for noise with a D4 or any modern dSLR for that matter! I have never had a single failure on alamy for noise and neither have I owned any camera anywhere near as capable as a D4.

dd

I didn't miss that, just chose to ignore it. As I said; I was only playing devil's advocate, and now will do so again:

It's not about the tool- per se. Just the right tool at the right time and using each one to its particular 'advantages'... There are many 'collections' on alamy (if we include News, Archival, General, and now- Stockimo) and each one has different criteria... If you want to take creative photos with a SLR, go for it. They just have to be technically correct (more or less) to make it to the general collection.

There are also plenty of other places besides Alamy which accept creative work (with slightly less emphasis on technical quality)- and that are arguably much more suited for that type of thing as the market is more geared towards it.

-Jason

Oh for goodness sake . . . it was a hypothetical, detailed to illustrate a point . . . sigh . . . I don't usually discuss my QC record, but . . . I have never had a rejection, period. Even when I submit (as I have done several times) ISO 5000 images shot on my old D700. Please, don't lecture me on how to avoid noise.

So, back to my original question . . . or not :-)

dd

I just don't see WHAT exactly is the question (or really why it needs asking). It's like asking why 24MB minimum for general collection, why is there an unsuitable camera list, why no glamour, why, why, why... Just find a collection (alamy or elsewhere) that accepts and markets the type of work that you wish to make, and carry on... As I said before, each has it's own requirements, and as with QC and with everything alamy- we're stuck playing by their rules! But honestly, they're not so hard to understand. So, why do we have to use a mobile phone for work submitted to the mobile collection? I'll let someone else answer that.  :unsure:

-Jason

I was quite devastated that I became no more creative when I changed my phone.

I feel your pain. Perhaps a new strap will help?

dd

Thanks DD,

I'd never thought about an iphone strap - is this a new business opportunity?? How do they work? Do you thrash the iphone with the strap when you get a 2.9 on stockimo??

Please elaborate. ;)

I was quite devastated that I became no more creative when I changed my phone.

I feel your pain. Perhaps a new strap will help?

dd

Thanks DD,

I'd never thought about an iphone strap - is this a new business opportunity?? How do they work? Do you thrash the iphone with the strap when you get a 2.9 on stockimo??

Please elaborate. ;)

I'm trying to think of a creative answer, but I don't have a phone handy . . .

dd

Please elaborate. ;)

If you buy an iphone you will need to carry things around with you to take close-up pictures of.  Hence the strap.

Best to buy the android version of the strap, as it is considerably cheaper.

No.

Short answer, as I'm still getting to grips with DSLR submissions and splurged on a new Nikon 12mp camera and and two new lenses. I don't need the headache, or expense, of getting to grips with new technology and the Voices berating me for doing so.

Archived