The Fuji X-T1

I use to have a racetrack as a client back in the early 1990s pre-digital. I always manual focused and zooms were pretty slow in those days.

Did you try shooting manual focus? Might be quicker?

L

It might be hefty, Martin, but never as helfty as my D800 and 80/400.  That is hefty.  Look in the dictionary under "helfty" and you will see that combo. :)

I know what you mean. I have used a Canon 100-400 f4-5.6 for motorcycle racing (occasionally with a TC, even from trackside) on a Canon 1Ds3. Similarly substantial and heavy.

Even a Fuji XF lens of similar range will not be small but hopefully will be quite a bit lighter (than the Canon/Nikon equivalents) and somewhat slimmer even if front element is as big (physics requires it). It may still dwarf the X-T1.

The 120-400 will be a big lens but if you want that focal range, the alternative is to buy an DSLR... and even though big lenses on small camera's are not the best, I still find it better than having to invest into two systems and worse, carrying two systems when in the mountains etc.

I remember going out with the 5dmkii and 100-400L when out climbing etc, always added plenty of weight to a heavy backpack.... it will be interesting to see how small they will make it. But, anyone wanting that lens is not really expecting it to be small... are they?!? I'd settle with smaller than the alternatives :-)

It might be hefty, Martin, but never as helfty as my D800 and 80/400.  That is hefty.  Look in the dictionary under "helfty" and you will see that combo. :)

I know what you mean. I have used a Canon 100-400 f4-5.6 for motorcycle racing (occasionally with a TC, even from trackside) on a Canon 1Ds3. Similarly substantial and heavy.

Even a Fuji XF lens of similar range will not be small but hopefully will be quite a bit lighter (than the Canon/Nikon equivalents) and somewhat slimmer even if front element is as big (physics requires it). It may still dwarf the X-T1.

The 120-400 will be a big lens but if you want that focal range, the alternative is to buy an DSLR... and even though big lenses on small camera's are not the best, I still find it better than having to invest into two systems and worse, carrying two systems when in the mountains etc.

I remember going out with the 5dmkii and 100-400L when out climbing etc, always added plenty of weight to a heavy backpack.... it will be interesting to see how small they will make it. But, anyone wanting that lens is not really expecting it to be small... are they?!? I'd settle with smaller than the alternatives :-)

It will still weigh much less and be less bulky than FF DSLR and equivalent focal length (180-600mm). It will be no worse than my manual film cameras and long lens; Canon T90n and 300 f2.8 - with or without teleconverter.

I am finding I am more than happy to use X-T1 without a vertical grip (even though I have one). Probably because I have done so much photography before grips existed I still tend just to rotate the camera; even with my Canon 1Ds3. I tend only to use a grip when shooting mostly vertical e.g. basketball. I have middling size hands (ML glove) and find the Fuji fine without the grip.

I am also not finding the lighter camera more prone to camera shake. Perhaps because I have shot so much sport I tend to be more conscious of shutter speed and use shutter priority by default. I feel I am more likely to lose a picture for wrong shutter speed (shake) than wrong aperture (wrong depth of field); I tend to adjust speed and ISO to get desired aperture (or use manual) rather than use aperture priority.

The camera without the grip is perfect for me. It's own native grip fits me well. I don't really want to add things that make the camera bigger/heavier.  Although I do want a quick release plate.  I have them on my Nikons, and the other part on my tripod and monopod.  I could use what I have, but it will block the battery door and is too deep for the camera.

I've heard one can get a swiss/arca type, but those cost an arm and a leg.  I have the sqeeze-type heads that is so easy for me to adjust.  The other kinds of heads, anything with more than one knob or lever, I get confused as to what adjusts what. Then the shot is gone.

Sorry...I'm a female.  Sorry if I just insulted all females.

No,not insulted;I understand!

Having a heavy camera zaps the energy out of you.

I just looked at some night shots from the X-Pro1 using the 18-55mm kit lens and I *think* it's up to par or better than my Canon 6D with the 24-105mm L.

I'm sure everyone that bought the XT1 will be really pleased.

BTW-Just found this...Canon full frame vs Fuji XE-2 

http://andrewvanbeek.com/fuji-vs-canon-lenses/

L

Guest dlmphotog

Brian

...I intend to purchase an X-T1. Currently I use an X-E1, superb camera...

Brian,

Having both, the X-T1 and the X-E1 I have to warn you... Once you use the X-T1 your very good X-E1 will feel Sub-Par by comparison.

After looking through the T1 viewfinder then switching to the E1, it feels like I’m looking through a straw. For me the T1 has better ergonomics and I just have a better experience using it when compared to the E1. Of course there is nothing “wrong” with the E1 it is just very different when compared to the T1.

David L. Moore

Brian

...I intend to purchase an X-T1. Currently I use an X-E1, superb camera...

Brian,

Having both, the X-T1 and the X-E1 I have to warn you... Once you use the X-T1 your very good X-E1 will feel Sub-Par by comparison.

After looking through the T1 viewfinder then switching to the E1, it feels like I’m looking through a straw. For me the T1 has better ergonomics and I just have a better experience using it when compared to the E1. Of course there is nothing “wrong” with the E1 it is just very different when compared to the T1.

David L. Moore

This matches my feelings even with the X-Pro1. When I sent in the T1 for the light leak repairs, I had to use the Pro1 for a week and it felt so slow in comparison and the view finder felt small and cluttered. The thing is, before I had the T1 I loved using the Pro1 and it felt right..... it sort of confirms how much they have come along with the X-T1. The EVF is in a different class. Also, it has 30 & 60 fps video. For those interested in Video stock, that is rather useful!

Hell, I've even stopped looking at the Fuji rumours site, I'm just content with what I have now. In time I will probably upgrade the zooms to the faster ones, depending on size difference or go for a weather proof general use lens. No real urgency for either though.

No,not insulted;I understand!

Having a heavy camera zaps the energy out of you.

I just looked at some night shots from the X-Pro1 using the 18-55mm kit lens and I *think* it's up to par or better than my Canon 6D with the 24-105mm L.

I'm sure everyone that bought the XT1 will be really pleased.

BTW-Just found this...Canon full frame vs Fuji XE-2 

http://andrewvanbeek.com/fuji-vs-canon-lenses/

L

Thanks for the link, interesting read. I would love it if they released a firmware upgrade for the X-Pro1 that cleaned up the EVF a little, I can see me holding onto that camera for some time, it's still nice to have an OVF on at least one camera.

I no longer have my X Pro 1. I am really anxious to see if Fuji releases a full frame. and I will by that and perhaps the XT-1 and sell off the heavy full frame Canon. I wonder which lenses will be usable?I've read that some will,not all.

I think Fuji,Sony and Oly are doing a great job. Not impressed with Canon or Nikon...And I've been a user of both systems for decades.

The other brands are so much more fun and I often get sharper photos with the other brands.

L

I no longer have my X Pro 1. I am really anxious to see if Fuji releases a full frame. and I will by that and perhaps the XT-1 and sell off the heavy full frame Canon. I wonder which lenses will be usable?I've read that some will,not all.

I think Fuji,Sony and Oly are doing a great job. Not impressed with Canon or Nikon...And I've been a user of both systems for decades.

The other brands are so much more fun and I often get sharper photos with the other brands.

L

If they do release a FF, I would imagine all lenses will work but only in crop mode. I'm sure I read somewhere that the actual mount itself maybe too small to allow FF... but that could be someone just guessing or my memory playing tricks on me.

To be honest, there have been a couple of solid rumours that Fuji could be stalling for time and have no intention of releasing a FF but instead are moving fast towards the Organic sensor. This is in development with Panasonic. This will allow a significant improvement in DR and also allows far greater resolution while still keeping to the APS-C format. 

If this is true (and there are a lot of signs to suggest it is), there won't be a FF camera. Take a look at this thread, especially the first post. It is a very long post but well worth the read to understand how things could develop. There are a few very clever/technical engineers who frequent that Fuji forum and it is interesting to hear about what it all means.

Interesting link, I read it at length. Makes a lot of sense.

I wonder if this will be a Photokina announcement this September or in 2 years hence. Mind you it is big enough to make a huge impact announced at any time.

The other point to consider of course is commercial - what will bring best return on the R&D investment? Would it need to be licenced to, say, Canon to get the volumes to generate the revenues to recoup development costs? Neither Panasonic are major camera vendors, at least at the moment  But it could change with new technology. As Leica/Canon/Nikon did with 35mm.

The only full frame Fuji that makes sense to is a X100s  with a full frame, it would be a fantastic beast

and they would not have to develop a whole new range of lenses.

I think Fuji does a great job and I think they are *almost* to the point where I feel I could get rid of my DSLR gear.

I'm hoping for faster long zooms and a quick recycling flash able to do long range like the Canon 600RT or Nikon SB810

I'd love to have just ONE camera system in one format.For me life is so much easier when I don't have to think about or babysit 3 different camera bags.

That was a good article;thanks for the link. I am probably going to hold off any new purchases until next year.

L

One very minor grumble I have with the X-T1 is that the metering knob (below shutter speed dial) is too easily moved

That is one function I would have been happy to have in the menus. The other dials are fine for me: the exposure compensation is nicely weighted so it does not get changed inadvertently as it does on my X-E1. I can understand why some people are unhappy with the lock on the ISO dial but not really an issue for me, I am quite happy taking camera away from my eye to change it, I don't use it the way I use shutter or aperture.

I still occasionally momentarily misread the shutter speed as the white line (metering) on the top plate is more obvious than the shutter speed line on the VF hump. But that will disappear with increased familiarity.

I don't mind the manual metering dial but it needs firming up. It can be knocked when setting the speed at times. I think it happens when you are moving it out of "A" mode and you have to press down the locking pin to release the speed settings.

I had a similar problem with the drive mode selector under the film speed knob. The ISO was altered during a shoot then when an image was taken the camera stopped and asked me what I wanted to do next. (i.e.  Retry or continue shooting).

It flummoxed me for a while until I noticed that I had inadvertently moved the drive mode selector onto the "Double exposure" symbol.

As it happens it looks like an interesting function and I will try it out sometime.  It will only shoot in jpeg though.

Allan

I'm just a curious outsider here, owning the Sony RX10 and two NEX cameras, but not the X-T1 or any other Fuji smaller (not small) cameras. I've never been a fan of the so called pocketable cameras or jazzy, top-line cell phone cameras . . . but what is it about the Fuji X-T1 that is attracting so many buyers?

It ain't cheap ($1,699), that's for sure. And that's before you start buying lenses. The weight with a shorter zoom range is about the same as my RX10 with it's 24-200 f/2.8 Zeiss zoom. I'm looking for a basic, quick answer here, because I'm not in the market for a new camera.

:huh:

Ed,

For me it was simple. I needed something much lighter than my pro Canon kit to keep my neck and chiropractor happy. But I still needed flexibility of interchangeable lenses to go beyond 200mm to shoot sport etc or to use a macro lens. The Fuji X-T1 does that (or I believe it will do when longer/faster lenses become available); I also shoot in poor light so I wanted low noise at high ISO which I don't really have with my 1Ds3. I did toy with a Canon 6D but decided it did not really fit the bill, the lenses were the same; heavier and bulkier for given field of view. I am hoping I will be able to get rid of my DSLR kit by next year (to pay for those lenses).

I used a Sony DSC-R1 (24-120mm) very happily as my social/ walk around camera for a long time so I understand the appeal of the R10. I did consider the Sony NEX/Alpha but did not understand the Sony strategy, still don't so was not comfortable investing in it.

I'm just a curious outsider here, owning the Sony RX10 and two NEX cameras, but not the X-T1 or any other Fuji smaller (not small) cameras. I've never been a fan of the so called pocketable cameras or jazzy, top-line cell phone cameras . . . but what is it about the Fuji X-T1 that is attracting so many buyers?

It ain't cheap ($1,699), that's for sure. And that's before you start buying lenses. The weight with a shorter zoom range is about the same as my RX10 with it's 24-200 f/2.8 Zeiss zoom. I'm looking for a basic, quick answer here, because I'm not in the market for a new camera.

I was looking for a system that replaced my Canon 5dmkii and L glass. I wanted something that was lighter but did not sacrifice any quality. I wanted the raw files to be very flexible with minimal noise when tweaking them.

I also wanted something that felt like a camera, something solid that would take a bit of punishment (dropped mine already.... not even a mark). I also wanted great quality lenses, Canon L or better from wide angle to long tele. Admittedly, they are only at 200 at the moment but are due to go to 400. There are signs of accessories  coming out for the T1 and if they spend time on a flash system, this will truly be a system camera setup. That EVF is also fantastic... big bright and clean layout with near on zero lag.

While I love the camera on it's own, it has to be said it would be nothing without good quality glass and Fuji has been hitting home run after home run in terms of quality lenses. The T1 in it's simplest form is a great interface for those top notch lenses. As a bonus, they are keen to keep improving your camera well after release.... this is nice as well.

Fuji X-T1 is the new sexy kid on the block.  People like sexy. The lenses are sharper than most other small systems.  A lot of people are gravitating toward Fuji for the lenses.  And Fuji has a roadmap for more great lenses.

As we all know, it's not the camera so much as the lenses, but looking through the viewfinder of the X-T1 is amazing.

Betty

Okay, thanks. Martin needs longer teles for sports and Betty needs them for birds. I'm not sure about Duncan, but he seems to have a need for superwides. Sounds like you all, like me, are moving from your DSLRs systems to smaller/lighter land, not just adding an extra system. 

For lighter and smaller, for most shooting, I think my RX10 is on a level with your X-T1. The Zeiss zoom does closeups without any special adjustments, you know? I don't need anything very long here in NYC . . . this from a guy who used to travel with a 500mm and a 2X extender. My RX10 weighs 1.79 with the zoom; the Fuji is .97 lb without a lens. 

I have my X-T1 camera with a mounted lens, 2 other lenses, the manual, a tips notebook, and memory cards with room for a flash and other things in a Fstop Shibata bag, kind of like a messenger bag. A whole lot of people on the Fuji forum, men and women, ordered this bag.  I joined the herd. Love it.

I could easily walk around with that bag, no problem.  All together less weight than my D800 with 24-70 lens.

I expect when the super zoom comes out, it will add weight.  In that case, I would be out specifically to shoot birds and wouldn't need the other lenses. I'd just carry the camera with the super zoom mounted.  Way, way less weight than my D800 with 80-400.

I'm not getting rid of my D800. I'm shooting table top with it and like the pixel count because I do heavy cropping with the jewelry I'm shooting. But it is on a tripod not being carried about in the field.  I'll wait and see what kind of bird images comes out of the super zoom before even thinking of selling my 80-400 Nikon.  I do and can use it on a bean bag from the car window.  I just can't walk around with it, anymore. :(

BTW, I've earned more in 6 weeks of shooting the jewelry than I made at Alamy in a year.  I see a new car in my future, 2015 or late 2014.

I was looking for a system that replaced my Canon 5dmkii and L glass. I wanted something that was lighter but did not sacrifice any quality. I wanted the raw files to be very flexible with minimal noise when tweaking them.

I also wanted something that felt like a camera, something solid that would take a bit of punishment (dropped mine already.... not even a mark). I also wanted great quality lenses, Canon L or better from wide angle to long tele. Admittedly, they are only at 200 at the moment but are due to go to 400. There are signs of accessories  coming out for the T1 and if they spend time on a flash system, this will truly be a system camera setup. That EVF is also fantastic... big bright and clean layout with near on zero lag.

While I love the camera on it's own, it has to be said it would be nothing without good quality glass and Fuji has been hitting home run after home run in terms of quality lenses. The T1 in it's simplest form is a great interface for those top notch lenses. As a bonus, they are keen to keep improving your camera well after release.... this is nice as well.

I have the Canon 600RT flash that I bought last year for almost $600.00. I.Hate.It.  It shuts down after 10 frames,even if I am not shooting fast. It's also inconsistent. I bought a few of the Yongnuo  560 III  or whatever and with the external battery pack and the flash dialed down a bit the flash is faster than the Canon and doesn't just stop after 4 minutes and make me look like the red carpet idiot. :-)  I've used this flash-seeing it works with all systems with the Fuji XPro1 and I also have cheap poverty wizards I can use. So,if you consider a 3rd party flash,it's not an issue.

For my smaller gear and the Sony RX10 I have the Swiss Wenger Zinc Bag and love it. I paid appx $30. It's a messenger bag with outside compartment;inside zip compartment;top zip compartment,side pockets and padded inside in 2 compartments.Lightweight with a comfy strap that adjusts.  Inside it has 2 padded flaps so if your bag tips over,your gear should be safe. I think Amazon has this in a bigger size.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Wenger-Swiss-Gear-The-Zinc-SLR-DSLR-Camera-Messenger-Bag-GA-7866-02-/141119828068?pt=US_Camera_Cases_Bags&hash=item20db65b064

PS-This bag has a Limited Lifetime Warranty too!

Can't beat that!

Archived