In a week or so, I will start using a iMac after many years of using PCs.  I will also start using Lightroom for the first time.  No doubt there will be a lot of things to sort out.

1. First of all, I need to transfer all my photos from a PC HD to the new Mac HD.  What would be best way of doing it?
  2. I have a few external hard drives (archives).  What do I need to do to make the Mac to recognize them?
  3. With regard to Lightroom, if I want to catalogue all my images (including archives), do I copy everything including archives to Mac HD first, then import everything into Lightroom and move archives back (within Lightroom) to external HDs?
  4. Will the metadata templates I created in Bridge(PC) be usable with Lightroom (Mac)?
  5. Will my presets in ACR (PC) be transferable to Lightroom (Mac)

I will be very grateful for any advice and tips.

Sung

1. Use an exteral drive and format it as FAT32, both operating systems will be able to read/write to it. Reformat the drive with a more robust file system after transferring your images! Or create a local network and transfer the images via the network (should be a lot faster ...).
  2. See 1.
  3. Not sure which archives you want to copy to your Mac if you haven't previously used LR ? What do you mean by archives ?
  4. AFAIK there is no way to import the metadata template definitions from Bridge in LR . But you can import the metadata saved with your images (either in the image itself or a sidecar XMP File) into LR and lists of keywords. See: http://help.adobe.com/en_US/lightroom/using/WS3B7C007A-4A38-4063-863A-80DB6AAB4812.html
  5. Not directly because the format is different, but you may be able to transfer your presets as follows: in ACR apply ONLY the preset you want to migrate to an image, export it to the DNG format , the settings will be stored in the DNG file. Open the DNG file in LR and in the develop module click create new preset, give it a name, select which settings you want to store and then save it. I think it won't transfer setting with the graduated filter.

Hope this helps, maybe there are better ways of doing the whole migration. Good luck.

Thanks Vlad

1.  can you elaborate 'a more robust file system', please?

3.  Sorry for not being clear, by archieves, I meant images that I moved to external drives.  I want to including all the images in a catalogue in Lightroom for easy management.

4 & 5  Nearly all of my raw images are DNGs.  In this case, it must be a bit more straight forward?

Sung

Thank you, David

If that is the case, can I just copy all the .xmp files (metadata templates and settings) and paste them in the Mac equivalent folders?

As I said above, almost all of my RAW files are DNGs.

Sung

I'm know you'll receive reliable feedback on this Alamy forum but I'd really recommend the excellent forum for all DAM-related issues - especially as migrating platforms needs to be done right.

For Lightroom, go here:

http://bit.ly/ZRSgRU 

Now that Adobe are changing the way we buy into Photoshop, Lightroom and other rivals will be looked at even closer by photographers. 

Rgds,

Richard.

You are welcome.

Yes, you can copy all you *.xmp files AND corresponding raw files. In the case of DNGs you normally have the metadata stored in the DNG file, no need to use the XMP file. No, it doesn't make sense to copy the template XMP files, it don't thinks that there is a way to import them, but haven't tried it out.

1. With a more robust file system I mean a file system which is more resilient against corruption etc. Under Windows it usually called NTFS and used by all current Windows Versions (FAT32 is from the Win 95 era) and under OSX it's called Mac OS Extended. Actually I think that you can forget my advice to format the drive as FAT32, you may format it as NTFS, newer version of Mac OSX can READ the NTFS file system.

3. Archives: aha, ok. You may keep your archives on the external drives, plug them in to your Mac Computer and Import the image files into LR. The image may stay on the external drive or LR can copy it to the local hard drive while importing them.

4&5 DNG: yeas, it is great. I keep mine also as DNGs. Yes, it should make the whole stuff a lot easier, if you have saved all the metadata to the DNGs !

Good luck!

I'm know you'll receive reliable feedback on this Alamy forum but I'd really recommend the excellent forum for all DAM-related issues - especially as migrating platforms needs to be done right.

For Lightroom, go here:

http://bit.ly/ZRSgRU 

Now that Adobe are changing the way we buy into Photoshop, Lightroom and other rivals will be looked at even closer by photographers. 

Rgds,

Richard.

Thanks Richard, very kind of you :-). You know, it's a thing of faith, why should the answers in the other forum be more reliable than those on the Alamy forum ? Or vice-versa by the way ? :-)

Not sure but I think LR falls under the same new policy from Adobe ... At least, it is part of CC, you may download with all the other apps if you are a subscriber.

.. why should the answers in the other forum be more reliable than those on the Alamy forum?

Because members there (such as Peter Kroeg and others) have extensive experience and written books on the subject. I'm not negating what contributors here will offer.  

Rgds,

Richard.

Thank you, Richard.  I am sure I will find some useful info in that forum.

Hi, Gervais.  It isn't with a retina screen.

Hi Vlad, I usually attach basic metadata info when I download images from cameras and also I have a few metadata template with freuqently used keywords.

1.  That's a good news.  The simpler the better.

3, 4&5.  Again, this will make the procedure a lot simpler.

Sung

.. why should the answers in the other forum be more reliable than those on the Alamy forum?

Because members there (such as Peter Kroeg and others) have extensive experience and written books on the subject. I'm not negating what contributors here will offer.  

Rgds,

Richard.

I supposed that this was the reason behind your statement.

You are certainly right, the guys there have a lot of experience with that subject, probably more then any of us here.

On the other side writing a book doesn't make you an expert, his book(s) are good, but not perfect. By IT standards he's not a professional. I have an IT professional with experience in big data databases, data recovery and backup/storage in my family and he only shook his head when I showed him some passages from the book. But maybe he was wrong, he's not a photographer.

Sung - as stated, copying the .XMP files in the same folders as the raws will keep all your work including spot removal, grads, doding and burning, crop, rotate, lens corrections and every other main feature of the shared controls.

LR is excluded from the Creative Cloud deal if purchased as a standa-alone (you will still be able to get it) but CC subscribers will also get LR thrown in.

Hi, Gervais.  It isn't with a retina screen.

Sung

Sorry Sung. I've gone crazy. There are no iMacs with retina screens......yet. Maybe this year. I got mixed up with MacBooks and iMacs.

Lalaladeda. :)))

Gervais, it's not just you.  I do it all the time. :)

Sung - as stated, copying the .XMP files in the same folders as the raws will keep all your work including spot removal, grads, doding and burning, crop, rotate, lens corrections and every other main feature of the shared controls.

LR is excluded from the Creative Cloud deal if purchased as a standa-alone (you will still be able to get it) but CC subscribers will also get LR thrown in.

David, thank you for confirming my thoughts.  Yes, it's really nuisance.  I have been reading the thread re Photoshop subscription..  Currently I am using CS5 (PC), now it's another decision time for CS for the new Mac.

Everyone has been very helpful as always.  Now I feel my questions are now answered...

Sung

Currently I am using CS5 (PC), now it's another decision time for CS for the new Mac.

You can (assuming they are still selling perpetual licence upgrades) cross upgrade from PC to Mac but you need to phone Adobe to do this. CS6 has much faster graphics than CS5 so should be nice on a new Mac. Also you know that you can install a Windows partition on your Mac and run your PC programs in native mode - might help with the transition.

Currently I am using CS5 (PC), now it's another decision time for CS for the new Mac.

You can (assuming they are still selling perpetual licence upgrades) cross upgrade from PC to Mac but you need to phone Adobe to do this. CS6 has much faster graphics than CS5 so should be nice on a new Mac. Also you know that you can install a Windows partition on your Mac and run your PC programs in native mode - might help with the transition.

MDM, it's a really good tip.  Well worth investigating. Thank you.

Sung

You are welcome.

Yes, you can copy all you *.xmp files AND corresponding raw files. In the case of DNGs you normally have the metadata stored in the DNG file, no need to use the XMP file. No, it doesn't make sense to copy the template XMP files, it don't thinks that there is a way to import them, but haven't tried it out.

1. With a more robust file system I mean a file system which is more resilient against corruption etc. Under Windows it usually called NTFS and used by all current Windows Versions (FAT32 is from the Win 95 era) and under OSX it's called Mac OS Extended. Actually I think that you can forget my advice to format the drive as FAT32, you may format it as NTFS, newer version of Mac OSX can READ the NTFS file system.

3. Archives: aha, ok. You may keep your archives on the external drives, plug them in to your Mac Computer and Import the image files into LR. The image may stay on the external drive or LR can copy it to the local hard drive while importing them.

4&5 DNG: yeas, it is great. I keep mine also as DNGs. Yes, it should make the whole stuff a lot easier, if you have saved all the metadata to the DNGs !

Good luck!

Archived