Trouble with Sony RX 100 USB connector

I have a brand new Sony RX100, which I'm quite excited about.  However, while checking it out this weekend, I found that it is quite difficult to get the micro USB cable to connect to the camera.  I was connecting it so that I could charge the battery, and it was quite difficult to insert.  In fact it did fully go in, and some of the metal from the connector was still visible.  However, it seemed to connect enough  to be able to charge the battery.  

I haven't taken any photos yet because I'm wondering if there's a problem with either the camera or the connector.  I ordered it from Amazon and if it's a dud I want to return it.  Has anyone else had any similar issues with this camera?

The USB connector on my RX100 is quite tight, and about half the metal from the connector is still visible when the connector is inserted. I've had no problems with it making a connection though, either for charging the battery or downloading photos. I'm quite careful about putting sideways strain on the connector though as it seems to me that it could get damaged easily. I'm very pleased with my RX100, by the way, and almost all my photos submitted to Alamy over the last 6 months have been from that camera.

I found the connector to be quite tight when my RX100 was new. Having used it for a few months the connector has eased somewhat but I still need to be a bit careful when plugging in the lead.

Allan

Maria, unfortunately this is poor ergonomics regarding the Sony RX100 II. Everything else is great.

Just be careful and don't try and force it. It is hard to do at first and be sure you don't brake anything including fingernails. Just takes some time and care and a bit of getting used to.

When you come to put the photos into the computer, I would definitely recommend taking the card out of the RX100 and putting into a USB connected card holder (or whatever they're called).

The connector can only go in one way btw.

On the iMacs there is a camera card slot on the back that the card just goes into and it's very useful. I don't have an iMac at the moment but had one for a few weeks and that feature was great.

The little door to the USB connector on my Sony RX100 looks fragile, and still gets in the way when it is open.

It is also easy to get the small end of the USB connection reversed, so check that out carefully.

My USB connection has become looser, and easier to use, over time. I use the USB cable to download directly from the camera, and to charge the battery.

Somebody here in this forum told about a 3rd party battery charger that works for the RX100.  A link was posted in the thread and it led to Amazon. I ordered it.  Problem solved, because I worried about charging through the camera, also.  It wasn't that expensive...maybe $10 or so?  Maybe you can run a search and try to find that post?

Betty

Nevermind, here it is, cost $17.99 and you get two batteries with it.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B008SFPMRK/ref=oh_details_o03_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

The cheapest one on Ebay seems to be $4.23.

This is with US style prongs.

It looks like the one I have. (Which was slightly more expensive.)

wim

edit: there's a usb charger for $5,99 on Ebay. Worth looking at if you're travelling, and already carry a usb wall wart.

Hey thanks everyone for your feedback!  So it seems the difficult connection is the norm.  It did take some effort, at first it wouldn't connect at all.  Surprising considering the cost and otherwise good qualities this camera is supposed to have.  

I was also a bit nervous about the fact that it came with a 1 year warranty valid in the U.S., even though I'm in Canada and bought it from a Canadian company from amazon.ca.

Thanks Gervais for the tips about taking the card out.  I do have an iMac and the memory card slot is very handy.

And thanks Betty and Wim for the tips about charging.  I had bought a little accessories kit also through Amazon and looking at it again I see it has both a wall and car charger for the battery.

• 4 years later...

Just found this old posting about the Sony USB connector.  Just picked up a Sony RX100 and lo and behold taken ages to even work out how to open the flap to plug the USB lead in to charge the battery - naturally it helps when you actually remember to put the battery in;).  Anyway from what I've read on here, it seems like it's pretty normal for this little usb flap to be flimsy or I'm doing something wrong.  There seems to be a tiny button on it but it didn't seem to slide either way when I tried and I tried pushing it.  Not quite sure how I managed to get the thing open but anyway it's charging now or at least I think it is, an orange glow is coming from it anyway!  So just wondered if anyone had any updates on this and any external charges in particular that folk use.  Thought it would be handy as a carry around camera.  Thanks in advance for any suggestions before I decide whether to keep it or not !  

Carol

I have the original version and I take great care with that flap. On the side that is closest to the rear of the camera there is a wee slot and I put my fingernail in it and lift carefully. I have never tried to open it fully. I put the connection in carefully and curse the darn thing now and then. It is at least still attached. I don't know if any of the newer models are better.

Paulette

Many thanks Edo, I also have a card reader I prefer to use card readers as opposed to plugging any camera in and having it on my desk.  I will look for an external battery charger for this I think, I'm new to using Sony so it's all a bit of a learning curve but I'm sure I'll find one on the web somewhere.  Enjoy your No. 6 - did this come with a charger ?

Again thanks for the input, much appreciated.

Carol

Maria and Carol,

I hate charging the battery through the camera and the Micro USB "trap" door is flimsy to say the least so I use a Hahnel Ultima Plus charger which charges batteries from both my Sony RX100 and Sony A6000. It came with interchangeable plugs for USA, UK, Euro and Australia as well as USB and 12V power sources so is perfect for travelling. It was a bit more expensive than I originally wanted to pay but it's been worth it for the convenience. https://www.hahnelusa.com/li-ion-battery-chargers/

Carole

7 minutes ago, CAROL SAUNDERS said:

Well the charger arrived this morning, plugged it in and it doesn't work.  Took it apart and back together again, blue light comes on it flashes orange once and then just goes off, so I guess it's going back tomorrow, could be just a faulty one I guess

I assume your battery was not already fully charged?

Allan

1 hour ago, CAROL SAUNDERS said:

Well the charger arrived this morning, plugged it in and it doesn't work.  Took it apart and back together again, blue light comes on it flashes orange once and then just goes off, so I guess it's going back tomorrow, could be just a faulty one I guess

I am on my second Ultima Plus (first one stolen) and both have been fine. But, you do need to be very careful that the charger pins are making good contact with the right battery contacts. I find that if I lay the battery horizontal it can lose connection (similar to your symptoms) even though it looks OK. I usually charge with the battery vertical, just need to put it somewhere it won't get knocked.

Carol,

The lights should go from blue when the battery is empty to red flashing when almost charged to solid red when fully charged. My RX100 battery will only fit in one place and lies horizonally when the gadget is put into the power source, the lights are on the top. The battery shouldn't be loose. I've never used the other connections (usb), I just plug into the wall outlet. 

Hope you can get it sorted!

Carole

Edit: I just put a battery in and it does go blue, turns red, goes out, then after a couple of seconds turns blue again to continue charging.

16 hours ago, CAROL SAUNDERS said:

Many thanks Martin, it did occur to me that when it put it in horizontal that it wasn't exactly a tight fit.  However, no matter what I tried I didn't find a way to fit it in vertically, I'm obviously missing something here ?

Oops, I could have sworn mine was an Ultima Plus, it isn't it's a Unipal. Anyway it seems you have solved your problem.

Ah ha Martin that would explain it;)

Carole, many thanks this one is most definitely faulty as when plugged it it turns blue then orange briefly then just goes off.  I phoned the shop who offered to either replace or refund which is fair enough.  It is wrapped up read to go back to them, I don't think I'll get another one from them just yet in case it's a faulty batch.  For now I will use the USB connector and just be careful and if the cover does come off just cover it with some black electrical tape.  A male friend of mine managed to open it quite easily yesterday, though I have long nails I do find it to be quite difficult to open so will use a cocktail stick or similar;)Just need to order a spare battery and screen protector now.

Allan Bell thank you for putting in my mind a small camera with a 1" sensor.  I think on another thread this was being discussed as I had two escapees pass QC which we won't talk about;), so I started looking around and went for the Sony RX100 or pocket rocket as I now call it so thank you Allan for helping me spend some ££ :D  So now instead of two full frame bodies I now have just one and the Sony RX.

19 hours ago, CAROL SAUNDERS said:

Hi Allan, no;) I've been out using it so the charge is way down to one bar/digit.  Thought it was sufficiently low to warrant a charge ? You think it needs to be completely dead maybe?

Carol

No, I just wondered if it was one that had not been used and still had full charge.

Just for the record never let a rechargeable battery go dead it is not good for it, particularly if left in that state for any length of time.

Allan

Archived