The New Fuji X-T1 to be revealed on the 28th Jan

Fuji's new weather sealed, large EVF with fast AF will be announced on the 28th. Here's a sneak preview image of the camera at Fuji's website.

Looks like manual speed, aperture, ISO and drive dials with DoF and Wifi buttons also. Looks rather nice. The AF is rumoured to be in the range of 8fps with AF Tracking.

It looks like my wallet will be a little lighter when this is released :P

The possibility of the X-T1 is why I did not replace my X-E1 with an X-E2 to get faster AF speed. I am putting money on one side and may jump if AF speed is much better. But I do like the Fuji X series for much of my photography; it has been reenergised now my go anywhere bag is SO MUCH LIGHTER. I do take it pretty well everywhere.

Mind you I do not understand why the design has to mimic an SLR . EVF gives flexibility of layout and the offset viewfinder of the X-Pro and X-Ex means that my nose does not leave a greasy mark on the screen :) It has always worked for Leica.

The possibility of the X-T1 is why I did not replace my X-E1 with an X-E2 to get faster AF speed. I am putting money on one side and may jump if AF speed is much better. But I do like the Fuji X series for much of my photography; it has been reenergised now my go anywhere bag is SO MUCH LIGHTER. I do take it pretty well everywhere.

Mind you I do not understand why the design has to mimic an SLR . EVF gives flexibility of layout and the offset viewfinder of the X-Pro and X-Ex means that my nose does not leave a greasy mark on the screen :) It has always worked for Leica.

+1 (Beginning to look too much like an SLR) We will have to wait and see what/if there any major improvements over the X-E2 etc.

By the way I ordered an item direct from Fuji stores and waited 6 working days for delivery. They had despatched it on 13th Jan. Phoned to say it had not arrived apparently lost during delivery by carrier. Received replacement by Special Delivery before 9.00am next day.  Excellent service in my opinion.

Allan

Maybe the X-T1 might have AF performance on par with DSLR's , so having the EVF in line with the lens would make it easier for sport/wildlife shooter to initially point a long lens at subject....so perhaps fuji has some longer lenses on the horizon. (canon & nikon just gulped! :huh: )

Parm

Maybe the X-T1 might have AF performance on par with DSLR's , so having the EVF in line with the lens would make it easier for sport/wildlife shooter to initially point a long lens at subject....so perhaps fuji has some longer lenses on the horizon. (canon & nikon just gulped! :huh: )

Parm

Indeed they do, unspecified Super Telephoto Zoom Lens scheduled for end 2014 / early 2015 http://www.fujifilm.com/products/digital_cameras/xf_lens/roadmap/

A few more snippets. The X-T1 will come with it's own separate flash (apparently). Link below.

Flash Included

But, these pics of the camera with the vertical grip look very nice indeed.... and these. This is looking a very professional setup indeed. Apparently, they will be releasing the 18-135  f3.5-5.6 weather sealed zoom in May. Dam.... that would be nice for the hills!

This system is maturing nicely. From what I have found out, the X-Pro1 replacement won't be for a while yet, they are waiting for a major advancement in sensor tech etc. Possibly the organic sensor 2015?!?! who knows. But, the X-T1 looks like the most advanced pro level camera they will have, although not their flagship camera.

Anyone thinking of the 56 f/1.2? I looked at it but the minimum focus distance put me off. The 60mm is excellent for working in confined spaces (I use a small room for a studio).

Maybe the X-T1 might have AF performance on par with DSLR's , so having the EVF in line with the lens would make it easier for sport/wildlife shooter to initially point a long lens at subject....so perhaps fuji has some longer lenses on the horizon. (canon & nikon just gulped! :huh: )

Parm

That would be good (fast AF), it's rumoured to have 8fps with tracking! If that turns out to be true (and it works affectively) then it will be more than enough for me. As already mentioned, they are working on a superzoom as well.

I think this is the reason why the X-T1 has come along. The X-Pro & X-E range are great for wide - medium teles but become awkward when a very large lens is added.

Anyway, not long to wait now, Tuesday morning at about 6am.... apparently!

Martin.

Apparently the X-T1 was styled on their Fujica ST-705 rather than trying to make it look like a small DSLR. Possibly something to do with Fuji's 80th birthday.... or that the American market prefers DSLR styled cameras.... just guessing though

Martin.

Apparently the X-T1 was styled on their Fujica ST-705 rather than trying to make it look like a small DSLR. Possibly something to do with Fuji's 80th birthday.... or that the American market prefers DSLR styled cameras.... just guessing though

And of course to compete against,  the leader? the Olumpus OMD?

Martin.

And of course to compete against,  the leader? the Olumpus OMD?

Yes, that as well. 

The things that interest me most about this new camera are the large EVF, Faster AF, Vertical Grip, Split Screen Manual Focus and the Flip Screen.

Depending how it feels in the hand will depend whether I keep the X-E1 or Pro1 as backup. Probably keep the X-Pro1 as a 2nd camera. We'll see.

Well, here's the first look at the X-T1.

Apart from the very large view finder, manual dials large tilting screen and..... well, there's quit a bit in there but the AF tracking is very clever and from first tests seems to work very well.

First preview

Apparently, the hardware and software for the AF in this thing is different to the X-E2 in that it can predict where the subject will be and adjust the focus to suit. It can work out the speed an object is travelling and the direction and set adjust the focus based on this and the calculated shutter lag etc. Thew review shows all shots taken in 8fps mode of a child running towards the camera as well as a horse running towards the camera and the camera obtained correct focus on each shot, at f/1.2 & f/1.4 with the 56mm lens.

Impressive. I passed on upgrading my X-E1 in the hope of an X Pro announcement but this is very tempting even though the X Pro 2 looks as if it's in the pipeline for next year.

Decisions, decisions.

Impressive. I passed on upgrading my X-E1 in the hope of an X Pro announcement but this is very tempting even though the X Pro 2 looks as if it's in the pipeline for next year.

Decisions, decisions.

I've gone for it.... the pre-order is in. I will be offloading one of the other X cameras, probably the E1. I was also tempted to try the 56mm f/1.2 as an action lens after that review. I will be shooting puppy / dog shots in March so I will be able to test it out before deciding whether to keep it (the 56mm).

I was pleasantly surprised that the $1300 didn't translate to £1300. £1054 at Wex UK, makes a change!

Any idea when it is due in the shops? I can't find any mention of it.

Pearl

End of Feb early March. Amazon UK has 7th March on their Website and Wex UK said it could be end of Feb when I spoke to them earlier. 

With orders with Wex Uk there is a free leather half case included with a supposedly rrp of £99. Of course, there is the small detachable flash unite that comes with the camera. That should be ok for fill and commander duties. It's TTL.

Oh.... just in case there is any confusion.... I didn't mean I was literally shooting puppies in March.... that wouldn't be very nice  :P

I wasn't too excited about this because I'm happy with the XPro and the x100s and they each have their purpose.  I saw the specs today and the remote capabilities and it's raised my eyebrows.  My understanding is they are also going to release a 16-55 f/2.8 and a 50-140 f/2.8 this year. 

Dare I say it...this may replace my Canon kit completely for editorial work (and I will no longer have a Canon kit AND a Fuji kit) - I will no longer be carrying around two 5D MK III bodies with a 24-70 and a 70-200.  This would be much lighter and if the image quality is as good as the x100s, then Canon is in trouble!

If I was in the market for a crop sensor camera this one looks to be very good and image samples, fwtw, look excellent. That's how you make a retro camera and Nikon should take note.

With lenses, it initially looks like an expensive option for a crop frame. How good the Fuji lenses are, I don't really know, apart from the one on the X100.

I wasn't too excited about this because I'm happy with the XPro and the x100s and they each have their purpose.  I saw the specs today and the remote capabilities and it's raised my eyebrows.  My understanding is they are also going to release a 16-55 f/2.8 and a 50-140 f/2.8 this year. 

Dare I say it...this may replace my Canon kit completely for editorial work (and I will no longer have a Canon kit AND a Fuji kit) - I will no longer be carrying around two 5D MK III bodies with a 24-70 and a 70-200.  This would be much lighter and if the image quality is as good as the x100s, then Canon is in trouble!

Which remote capabilities..... the built in interval timer for Time Lapse photography or the wifi app that allows remote tethering with full controls? There were times I was missing the tethering features of the 5dmkii, this looks like it will sort it. I ordered the vertical grip as well  :D .

By the way, have you seen the way the image in the view finder rotates when you turn the camera in portrait position? They seem to have gone to town with new features.

They reckon it will compete with enthusiast DSLRs like the Canon 70d?!? We'll have to see as it's been promised many times by different manufacturers but never really quite made it (in terms of AF). If they have managed 8fps with tracking and they are all in focus, then they have done really well. Time will tell. 

The lenses by the way are first class, it was the main reason I moved to Fuji. Most of their lenses are rated as exceptional IQ apart from 2 which are classed as Good to V-Good (18mm & 27mm). 

Been waiting for this much anticipated camera and pretty sure I'll end up with one but what's the point of releasing a weather proof body without any sealed lenses? No point me buying an un-sealed lens so will have to go back to waiting again till lenses released at some unspecified point later in the year.

Been waiting for this much anticipated camera and pretty sure I'll end up with one but what's the point of releasing a weather proof body without any sealed lenses? No point me buying an un-sealed lens so will have to go back to waiting again till lenses released at some unspecified point later in the year.

The 18-135 f/3.5 - 5.6 OIS is due out about now but I also read that it would be on sale by May apparently.

Looking at the new road map, the 16-55 f/2.8 OIS 2nd Quarter of 2014 and the 50-140 f/2.8 OIS 3rd/4th Quarter 2014. 

I'd imagine the 18-135 will not be as impressive optically as the other two but it seems to be a good all rounder for rainy days out in the hills

16-55mm is the lens I would like although I would have preferred 16-70mm to replace my Canon 24-105mm (on full frame).

I will bet that the 18-135 will be surprisingly good even if not up to the standard of the best Fuji lenses and be ideal as a travel lens. Lets face it many people make acceptable 18-200mm lenses. Fuji seem to be concentrating on producing cracking lenses which is why I went for the Fuji X. With the new lens road map and the X-T1 I feel vindicated and any nagging concerns are dissipating especially if the AF is significantly faster.

16-55mm is the lens I would like although I would have preferred 16-70mm to replace my Canon 24-105mm (on full frame).

I will bet that the 18-135 will be surprisingly good even if not up to the standard of the best Fuji lenses and be ideal as a travel lens. Lets face it many people make acceptable 18-200mm lenses. Fuji seem to be concentrating on producing cracking lenses which is why I went for the Fuji X. With the new lens road map and the X-T1 I feel vindicated and any nagging concerns are dissipating especially if the AF is significantly faster.

Very true. Even the 18mm which comes last in Fuji lenses still gets Good-Very Good optical performance. The weather sealing for me is a nice to have but not critical. I adopt the use of a freezer bag and elastic band which works well  :D so the 18-135 will probably do for the times I use my camera in the rain etc.

I'm really looking forward to getting the 56mm now though. I've seen some stunning sample shots with that lens so far.

Archived