Using the RX100 makes me actually miss my old Canon 20D purely because of the fill in flash.  While I do have a 580 flash, its cumbersome and takes up far too much room for the small amount of time that I actually use it.  One minus with the Sony flash - why did they place it on the top left which is where I actually hold the camera.  Why did they not place it in the middle!?

Sheila

They don't place it in the middle because the audio module sits there with two mics, and a load of other stuff internally (like the lens...). Also, it positions the flash with a slightly greater angle relative to the lens centre, and that reduces red eye, a major complaint with mini flash units. Did you know you could slip your left finger under the flash when it's popped up, and angle it back until it aims at the ceiling? It is powerful enough to do bounce flash in small rooms, and the camera exposes correctly when you do this. If it was in the middle you could not use this trick. It is clearly deliberate, as the flash does not just pop up, it is on a hinged pillar to enable 90° bounce.

Using the RX100 makes me actually miss my old Canon 20D purely because of the fill in flash.  While I do have a 580 flash, its cumbersome and takes up far too much room for the small amount of time that I actually use it.  One minus with the Sony flash - why did they place it on the top left which is where I actually hold the camera.  Why did they not place it in the middle!?

Sheila

Sheila since fitting the Franiec grip I do most shooting holding the camera single handed.

Use the other hand to protect myself from irate people.

;)

Allan

Using Win 7.  I still can't get Windows Explorer to display thumbnails for the RX100.

I believe it's something to do with a CODEC but haven't a clue where to find the right one or where to load it into.

Any (layman level) suggestions appreciated thanks.

John

John

You can download the driver from Sony http://esupport.sony.com/US/p/model-home.pl?mdl=DSCRX100&LOC=3&session_id=c9df33d34d94a02cfc6e7acb876ba372#/howtoTab

As I use ACR to process my RAW files, I had to update my CS6 which, surprisingly, worked!

Sheila

Thanks Sheila

I tried the link and it reports that the required files are already part of Win7.  All I get with my RX100 RAW files in Windows Explorer is a logo but not a thumbnail of the actual image.

John

Using Win 7.  I still can't get Windows Explorer to display thumbnails for the RX100.

I believe it's something to do with a CODEC but haven't a clue where to find the right one or where to load it into.

Any (layman level) suggestions appreciated thanks.

John

John

You can download the driver from Sony http://esupport.sony.com/US/p/model-home.pl?mdl=DSCRX100&LOC=3&session_id=c9df33d34d94a02cfc6e7acb876ba372#/howtoTab

As I use ACR to process my RAW files, I had to update my CS6 which, surprisingly, worked!

Sheila

Thanks Sheila

I tried the link and it reports that the required files are already part of Win7.  All I get with my RX100 RAW files in Windows Explorer is a logo but not a thumbnail of the actual image.

John

I did a search of my Chrome history and this is the link I actually successfully used http://support.d-imaging.sony.co.jp/www/download/vista_raw/ (I think!!) 

Sheila

Thanks Sheila. I can confirm that the driver Sheila has linked to is correct. I have just installed the Vista driver and now the thumbnails are of the actual pictures instead of the logos. 

My RX100 will be here in two days. I'm excited.  Is it true no manual comes with it?  Sheila, David, what memory card are you using with it?

There is a manual but the online manual is far more detailed. The SD card my husband uses is a Sandisk Extreme III 4GB - not large but he only shoots Jpegs and its just a "point and shoot" he can take on his motorbike trips at the weekend. 

Sheila

Betty: The SD cards from your D800 will, but not the CF card (I bought an RX100 for my wife, and we share SD cards - haven't used her camera much though ...)

Thank you, Sheila.  I wondered if the cards I use for my D800 would work in this camera.

If you are using SDHC cards for D800, they can be used with RX100.

Sung

PS  I noticed DHill already answered the question.

The guy at 42 street camera saw me coming.  I thought I was smarter than this, but he called after I placed the camera order and told me a card didn't come with it, did I need one?  I asked if what I used for D800 would work and he said no, I needed a very high speed card for video and rapid shooting, and quoted me a huge price for one.  Like that's all that would work.  I bought it (shame, shame) and he upgraded my 2nd battery I ordered to the best one (there are three levels) and threw in a case and lens cleaning kit.

I guess I could send the card back and raise a stink, that was shoddy marketing and taking advantage of a fool, but I read reviews on the card and decided to keep it. I've named it "Betty's Folly."

On a good note about the subject, he gave me an 8GB card for 4GB price, which is $149.99.  I looked on Amazon today and the 8GB sells for $249.99 and their 4GB sells for $199.00.  So Betty's Folly is a great card for $100 less than Amazon's 8GB.

What is it? 700X Professional High Speed Error Free SDHC Class 10 card, again, for $149.99. $50 less than Amazon sells the 4GB for.

Now if I can figure out where I can set the ISO.  I see it in the menu but can't seem to figure out how to select it.  I did get the clock set and the grid on! And set RAW + jpeg! And RGB! Yea! I have charged one battery and the other one is getting charged right now, so tomorrow I should shoot a bit with it, even if I can't figure out how to set it up, lol!  I figure I'll drain one battery just trying to set the camera up.

Betty

Sorry, can't help you there as I don't shoot Jpegs and my husband (who does shoot Jpegs) would not know dpi from his elbow!! I cannot see anything in-camera which would change this and the online manual is of little help.  It's interesting that RAW files are sent to ACR as 240 dpi which of course can be changed to 300 dpi and then all other RAW files following will be subsequently changed to 300 dpi but that doesn't help you!

Sheila

Sheila, you must know this one too ;) When I open a Jpeg from the RX100 (AMAZING camera b.t.w.) in CS6, I notice that the resolution is set to 350 dpi instead of 300. Can i change that in-camera?

Cheers,

Philippe

I noticed that too.  The other thing I noticed as well is if you choose the path as follows, it will be set to 300 dpi.

Photos -> Edit in PS CS6 -> Edit a copy with Lightroom Adjustments

Sung

Many new cameras over 20 megapixels have the resolution set to 350dpi for JPEGs. The reason for this is simple, not many people work on page sizes over double page spread A4. In the past, JPEG files used to be set to 72dpi. Users would place a file in a program, and it would flood a virtual screen ten times the size of their work area. By setting 20-24 megapixel images at 350dpi, Sony makes sure they appear in most programs at a size which fits the screen or the pasteboard. You can not adjust this setting.

Sheila, thanks.  It worked!  Sung, your method is what I tried but couldn't get to ISO.  No matter how I used the wheel, it didn't highlight ISO to change it.  I'm sure I did something wrong, there. :)  Maybe it was because of the mode I had it in?

So far, love this camera.  Size is absolutely perfect.  

Betty

Ahh, Phillippe, I suspected something like that. When I took the camera out of the box and charged the battery, I put it on an automatic program to take a couple of quick snaps before getting into the settings.   Thank you.

I am back from a small test shoot and must say I am impressed with what I came back with.  All shot in Aperture preferred.

Betty

Archived