where you indisputably know that your
extremely detailed keywording involving
secondary, tertiary, & well beyond primary
keywords-synonyms triggered license(s).
Β 
πŸ™€ ROCK THE WORLD OF PRIMARY-ONLY TAGGERS
  • Love 1

20 minutes ago, geogphotos said:

Sold an image of Penneys department store in Dublin because both me and the buyer misspelled it as PennysΒ πŸ˜ƒ

Β 

Yes, a common mis-spelling is always worth adding as a tag. Even poor spellers have picture needs and credit cards!

• Love 1
  • Like 2

17 hours ago, Jeffrey Isaac Greenberg said:
give example(s) if willing, or even
indirectly if your scheme is proprietary,
Β 

Β 

African Violet double-bloomsΒ  -- metric ton of African violets (included some double bloom variants) simply labeled African Violet with the color.Β  About ten labeled double blooms.Β  Most flowers are bought for horticulture magazines.Β 

Β 

Tons of pictures of Stanhopea orchids.Β Β  License for one where I noted that this (front) view showed how the orchid got its common Spanish name of Torito (little bull).Β 

Mmm.. I suppose a possible way to get an insight is as follows;

Β 

Go to Alamy Measures - All of Alamy (AoA) and set date range for 1 week (for example). When the report appears, click on the sales column so that the search terms linked to the most sales appear first, together with the keywords used in the searches that resulted in those sales.Β Then scroll down the list and through the pages looking at the complexity of the search terms being used for those sales. The overwhelming majority are pretty simple searches, even when looking at searches that only resulted in 1 sale.

Β 

Mark

Β 

18 hours ago, Jeffrey Isaac Greenberg said:
give example(s) if willing, or even
indirectly if your scheme is proprietary,
Β 

Β 

Β 

Looking at your most recent images I wouldn't be happy that the captions are so generic and the tags/keywords are grouped together in big clumps.

Β 

I set out to write an individual caption for each image. I then add batch keywords for common characateristics - Mexico, Mexican, Yucatan, Yucatan State, Yucatan Peninsula,Β  Valladolid, city, spanish, colonial, architecture, building, buildings, historic, historical - and then specific ones for the actual image - convent, religious, religion, church, chapel, interior, inside, courtyard,

Β 

This is much easier and I'd say more effective when the photographer has some specific knowledge and vocabulary.

Β 

I nhink we all know that we are on difficult ground when we have an image which we can't caption easily and struggle to add specific tags.

2 hours ago, geogphotos said:

...tags/keywords are grouped together in big clumps.

IaMu, my Chummiest Chum above all other Chums,
πŸ‘³πŸΌ HE IS A VERITABLE CHUM HE IS.Β  AND NOT JUST A MATE I TELL YOU!
"Clumping" is a specific strategy.
a. it saves tremendous time
b. it demotes any clumped tag in single word searches of that tag
& therefore preserves CTR-ranking;Β  e.g. clump = woman women female lady
I never expect to license from a single word search (woman or women or female or lady)
because someone searching that is NOT looking for my kind of photos of that subject;
but I could license when one of those words is searched with X or X +Y or X + Y + Z etc &
because it is multi-word search there is big reduction in # images returned & because of my
ranking strength, IMO, my image(s)
can appear pg 1 or 2 or 3 & possibly be selected...
πŸ•΅THEN AGAIN YOU COULD BE WRONG
πŸ€— WHO CARES THE WALL STREET STOCK MARKET IS SOARING...
Edited by Jeffrey Isaac Greenberg
  • Like 1

I had a look at Measures and in my case, 95% of searches when I had a hit are one word tags.Β 

When several words were used, it's because it's the name of the place, like Gregory National Park, or the Latin name.

I don't often photograph people, so for landscape and wildlife, I guess it makes sense.

Β 

• Love 1

8 hours ago, geogphotos said:

Β 

Β 

Looking at your most recent images I wouldn't be happy that the captions are so generic and the tags/keywords are grouped together in big clumps.

Β 

I set out to write an individual caption for each image. I then add batch keywords for common characateristics - Mexico, Mexican, Yucatan, Yucatan State, Yucatan Peninsula,Β  Valladolid, city, spanish, colonial, architecture, building, buildings, historic, historical - and then specific ones for the actual image - convent, religious, religion, church, chapel, interior, inside, courtyard,

Β 

This is much easier and I'd say more effective when the photographer has some specific knowledge and vocabulary.

Β 

I nhink we all know that we are on difficult ground when we have an image which we can't caption easily and struggle to add specific tags.

Β 

Wow, you really got around the Yucatan Peninsula, Ian. It's one of my favourite parts of Mexico. My guess is you'll see quite a few sales from the trip. I agree, the more knowledge a photographer has about a particular area or subject, the more relevant and productive his/her captions and keywords are likely to be.

Β 

Β 

Β 

Β 

Β 

Β 

Edited by John Mitchell

9 hours ago, M.Chapman said:

. The overwhelming majority are pretty simple searches, even when looking at searches that only resulted in 1 sale.

Β 

It amazes me that some customers are not more specific, for example it is common to see a single keyword search, e.g. justΒ  the name of a city. What do these folk want, buildings, people, street, cityscape, shops, riverside etc ? Surely it would be more efficient to narrow down the search to a particular requirement while it plays havoc with a person's ctr.!

1 hour ago, Bryan said:

It amazes me that some customers are not more specific, for example it is common to see a single keyword search, e.g. justΒ  the name of a city. What do these folk want, buildings, people, street, cityscape, shops, riverside etc ? Surely it would be more efficient to narrow down the search to a particular requirement while it plays havoc with a person's ctr.!

Β 

The most amazing one word search I saw was 'wildlife'. It turned out it was a newspaper that had a weekly feature showing an animal. They didn't care what or where. IIRC I made a sale, that's how I found out.

Β 

• Like 1

I also noticed in All of Alamy that there are hundreds of sales for sports stars (mainly UK footballers) celebrities and famous people. Presumably these are at penny rates and it does illustrate the very large volume that some subjects bring to Alamy.

Β 

And maybe the sort of packaged offers to publishers which our other images get included in and which we don't always understand the logic of??

Β 

Have a look.

17 minutes ago, geogphotos said:

I also noticed in All of Alamy that there are hundreds of sales for sports stars (mainly UK footballers) celebrities and famous people. Presumably these are at penny rates and it does illustrate the very large volume that some subjects bring to Alamy.

Β 

And maybe the sort of packaged offers to publishers which our other images get included in and which we don't always understand the logic of??

Β 

Have a look.

Most of these photos are credited to PA...

11 hours ago, Bryan said:

t amazes me that some customers are not more specific, for example it is common to see a single keyword search, e.g. justΒ  the name of a city. What do these folk want, buildings, people, street, cityscape, shops, riverside etc ? Surely it would be more efficient to narrow down the search to a particular requirement while it plays havoc with a person's ctr.!

Β 

Sometimes, it's looking for the most visually arresting photos from whatever city they're doing a travel piece on.Β Β  I've seen searches on Nicaragua often enough.Β 

13 minutes ago, Jeffrey Isaac Greenberg said:
just checked my most recent rolling month
56K+ views,Β first (100) listed alphabetically
it appears ~90%+ are 2-or-more word searches
it appears ~50% are 3-or-more word seaches
πŸ•ΊπŸ» SO HE'LL KEEP DOING "THE CLUMP"
Β 
Β 

Β 

I suppose for images of people it makes sense. Buyers must give more details on what exactly they're looking for: ethnicity, age, doing what, country, etc.

1 hour ago, Jeffrey Isaac Greenberg said:

~90%+ are 2-or-more word searches

Β 

Looking back at my views to 1st of the year I see the same - and most of my images have few if any people in them.

Β 

Β 

Β 

Β 

Edited by Phil

1 hour ago, gvallee said:

Β 

I suppose for images of people...

Evie
Β 
Although I clump synonyms by not using commas, e.g., ,a b c d e,
instead of a,b,c,d,e in order to slightly weaken single word searches
of those individual synonyms, I start most my keywording fields with
"city country, a b c etc,"
so I am competing as strong as possible for single
word searches ofΒ "city" or "country" & 2-word searches of "city country"...
Hope I have made my scheme clear, people images or not, as I have
loads of un-peopled images
Edited by Jeffrey Isaac Greenberg
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Jeffrey Isaac Greenberg said:
just checked my most recent rolling month
56K+ views,Β first (100) listed alphabetically
it appears ~90%+ are 2-or-more word searches
it appears ~50% are 3-or-more word seaches
πŸ•ΊπŸ» SO HE'LL KEEP DOING "THE CLUMP"
Β 
Β 

Β 

Β 

I've just looked at that one of the old abandoned car. Then several others.

Β 

I can't say that I understand your tagging philosophy at all.

Β 

To be honest it looks like organised large-scale keyword 'spamming ' to me.Β Β 

Β 

Doesn't bother me but don't think it is a system that others should copy.

Edited by geogphotos
  • Like 1

On 18/05/2023 at 08:24, John Morrison said:

Β 

Yes, a common mis-spelling is always worth adding as a tag. Even poor spellers have picture needs and credit cards!

Β 

Hey, wait just a minute, John. I'm not a poor speller. I'm a terrible speller.Β 

Oh Dear Ian
Β 
Are you forgetting online appearance of keywording description is alphabetical?
So online appearance is not necessarily Description Field order.
See online caption for those images:
"Sevierville Tennessee,red barn rural lifestyle country rustic,antique old car"
Is that more like it?Β  Regardless, I'm not hawking my scheme...
To each their own, mine is a time-conscious volume scheme...
But purpose of this thread is to improve whilst keeping busywork minimal...
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Phil said:

Β 

Looking back at my views to 1st of the year I see the same - and most of my images have few if any people in them.

Β 

Β 

Same here -- usually 2-5 word searches regardless if people or not.