I have to add a few words to defend AI technique of generating images.

Interesting. ..instead of paying thousands of dollars for photographic equipment try to save money to pay copyright damages!
I always say the following: there are people who like to photograph... others like photoshop... you just have to find out what you like!
you're wasting time on photography... go to artificial intelligence...if it even exists!

• Like 1

14 hours ago, IKuzmin said:

I do not see where is "art" in 99.99% of stock photographs

Not relevant, it's paid for creative work.

14 hours ago, IKuzmin said:

Those AI-training folks can take the same from free sources which are plenty, but the final result will be the same.

Agreed, but the problem is they're not just using free sources, they're using stock libraries without their permission.

• Like 3

5 hours ago, Steve F said:
20 hours ago, IKuzmin said:

I do not see where is "art" in 99.99% of stock photographs

Not relevant, it's paid for creative work.

Yep. And it is paid exactly as much as people are ready to pay for it.

Of note, my comment you quoted was a response to another peer regarding an art, which is something that inspires, if not everyone but at least a good proportion of those who see it (talking of visual arts in this thread). Otherwise, ditch digging is much harder and requires more skills than aiming a lens to a target and pushing the camera button. ...But the digging can also be an art if satisfies the "inspiration criterion".

One could use broad definitions of "arts" from Wikipedia, but then go to my top sentence, that art is paid as much as it costs. I bet that successful artist would be able to sell their creativity in other ways than making pennies via stock agencies.

Edited by IKuzmin

On 14/05/2023 at 12:41, Mrrrky said:

I will try to reply to all of your thoughts. 

Thanks.

I have no problem with AI images

if no copyright infringement.

What you haven't stated, if willing, is

your net$$ results from your AI images
& if your AI images are being licensed
by those who formerly used real images,
with examples; I disagree that stock photo

scheme is expensive; one could buy used

body-zoom lens, used laptop, all for less

than, say, $1K, even $800US...

Aside to those bitter about AI images:
I'm still angry at auto-focus weaklings...

👿__ 👿__ 👿
real men use manual

AND WELL COIFFED MEN MAKE HIM UNCOMFORTABLE 😬

Edited by Jeffrey Isaac Greenberg
  • Love 1

5 hours ago, Jeffrey Isaac Greenberg said:

Thanks.

I have no problem with AI images

if no copyright infringement.

What you haven't stated, if willing, is

your net$$ results from your AI images
& if your AI images are being licensed
by those who formerly used real images,
with examples; I disagree that stock photo

scheme is expensive; one could buy used

body-zoom lens, used laptop, all for less

than, say, $1K, even $800US...

Aside to those bitter about AI images:
I'm still angry at auto-focus weaklings...

👿__ 👿__ 👿
real men use manual

AND WELL COIFFED MEN MAKE HIM UNCOMFORTABLE 😬

classic Jeff

On 14/05/2023 at 18:19, Martin L said:

What a load of sh*t

You don't want to shell out the time and money on taking pics with a camera but quite happy to license images based on the hard work of other photographers without any suitable attribution or compensation.

Good on you sir, keep up the good work.

My sentiments too ... however, in theory, you can download all of the contributors AI images and put them up as your own.

Currently there is no copyright on AI images in the US, UK or EU, although a very grey area and no doubt test cases will ensue. The US Copyright Office states that 'any work must be human-made to be copyrightable, which means you cannot copyright AI genereated work'.

Probably the only people who will get rich out of this will be the lawyers.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, wilkopix said:

My sentiments too ... however, in theory, you can download all of the contributors AI images and put them up as your own.

Currently there is no copyright on AI images in the US, UK or EU, although a very grey area and no doubt test cases will ensue. The US Copyright Office states that 'any work must be human-made to be copyrightable, which means you cannot copyright AI genereated work'.

Probably the only people who will get rich out of this will be the lawyers.

If corporations in the US can be persons, AIs should also have person-hood granted.   Then they can copyright photos as well as any monkey and we can ask them what they want to do with their money. 

• Love 1

14 hours ago, Rebecca Ore said:

If corporations in the US can be persons, AIs should also have person-hood granted.   Then they can copyright photos as well as any monkey and we can ask them what they want to do with their money. 

Latest US court cases says otherwise .. AI cannot be granted copyright. Several cases online if anyone is interested. Possibly good news for us photographers.

• 2 weeks later...
On 23/05/2023 at 05:54, wilkopix said:

Latest US court cases says otherwise .. AI cannot be granted copyright. Several cases online if anyone is interested. Possibly good news for us photographers.

I don't think corporations should have been granted personhood, but they historically contribute to campaign funds and also provide nice perks.   AIs need to organize :).

22 hours ago, geogphotos said:

I have just realised that I am using AI every time I click on the 'Auto' option in ACR. I wish there was an AI DustBuster available. 😀

I think Capture One has just added this as a new tool in Beta, hopefully PS CC will add something similar before too long.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QFhhdKW_Dc4

Mark

10 hours ago, M.Chapman said:

I think Capture One has just added this as a new tool in Beta, hopefully PS CC will add something similar before too long.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QFhhdKW_Dc4

Mark

Thanks Mark, that's interesting. 

I use DXO Pure Raw2 as my first step in image processing - that just means identifying the images and it does its stuff, there are no options, sliders or tweaks.

How long before we can show AI samples of how we have converted RAWS to JPEGs to it learns how we want it done? Bliss.😀 or will we still want to keep individual control?