Another caution when in San Francisco

I used to live in an area where my car got broken into on average every three months!  Once there were many greasy, but clear, fingerprints all over the driver's door from where the vandals/thieves had clearly just visited the nearby kebab van prior to smashing my car window.  Called the police and - surprise, surprise! - they actually said that they'd come and fingerprint the car.  But they didn't bother either coming or letting me know.

I'm sorry to say that my experience with the police (and always on the right side of the law, I hasten to add) has never been good.

In the dark time of crime in NYC parked cars usually had a NO RADIO sign in the window. Don't know if that helped. The funniest one I saw was on a Volkswagen beetle that had been totally buried in the snow during a blizzard. Someone had written NO RADIO in the snow on the car.

Paulette

There are areas here that your car will not survive being parked overnight. People joke about leaving their old banger parked there so that they can claim the insurance when the local 'yoof' burn it out.

At least I think they are joking.

I never leave anything visible in a car no matter where I am.

For hotel room security worries while you're in the room, there are some alarm devices that can be temporarily used on the door that will sound a loud alarm if the door is open. Just google hotel door alarm.

As a former frequent business traveler, some tips. Always deadbolt and use the slide lock most hotels have when you are in the room. When you check-in, check the windows, especially if you're on the first floor. Many times I've found them open or unlocked. When you leave the room for the first time, check to make sure the door locks. I once checked into a major brand hotel and as I left the room, the door didn't feel right when I pulled it shut. I pushed it and it opened. I couldn't get it to lock shut. So I had to pack up the few things I'd taken out of my roll aboard and go down to get a different room. Here's where it gets interesting. The desk clerk wasn't the same woman who'd checked me in. She asked who checked me in and I told her. She got an interesting look on her face while she gave me a new room. Long story short, they evidently had been having a theft problem and from what I gathered, they suspected some sort of inside connection. I have a feeling the woman who checked me in came under investigation.

Also, when you leave the room, put the "Do not disturb" hang tag out and leave the radio or TV on. Most people won't bother trying to get into a room under these conditions.

Travel safe.

There are areas here that your car will not survive being parked overnight. People joke about leaving their old banger parked there so that they can claim the insurance when the local 'yoof' burn it out.

At least I think they are joking.

Had a window broken in Glasgow. The scum are not too bright up there because they took a shiny model rocket and left the A1.

Archived