then question becomes what %
of your Measures searches are:
one word?
two words?
three words?
four or more words?
& if your three-or-more word searches
are NOT producing sales then
your issue is content, not rank, IMO...?

that's all, I'm done...
Edited by Jeffrey Isaac Greenberg
  • Like 3

56 minutes ago, Jeffrey Isaac Greenberg said:

that's all, I'm done...

Could be style or editing as well.

Even if you have the ultimate Alamywhack, if the client thinks yech! you're not going to sell it.

Or one could have many images for those same keywords and the worst looking come out on top. (You wouldn't be the first one. How would I know? Right.)

wim

The 1st page of my search for the month (at present), CTR 1.05:

Search Term Your Views Sessions Your Zooms Your CTR(%) Total Views Total Zooms Total CTR(%)
BULL FROG LEAPING 7 1 3 42.86 17 3 17.65
fruit bat white background 14 1 2 14.29 100 2 2
Eptesicus fuscus 11 1 2 18.18 76 3 3.95
WOODPECKER 1 1 1 100 100 2 2
White trumpeter swans 5 1 1 20 100 2 2
water nigeria 1 1 1 100 100 1 1
transfiguration 1 1 1 100 101 5 4.95
texas hummingbird 4 1 1 25 100 3 3
SPIDER MONKEY 3 1 1 33.33 100 2 2
snake in forest [Pt] 2 1 1 50 100 2 2
red eyed tree frog on white 4 1 1 25 100 1 1
Pacaya Samiria National Reserve 10 1 1 10 100 4 4
mount tabor 1 1 1 100 102 2 1.96
Hypsignathus monstrosus 2 2 1 50 12 2 16.67
Hypsignathus monstrosus 2 2 1 50 12 1 8.33
horseshoe bats [Land] 4 1 1 25 100 3 3
Eptesicus fuscus flying 1 1 1 100 19 4 21.05
Didelphis virginiana 15 1 1 6.67 100 1 1
Desmodus rotundus [Pt] 4 1 1 25 23 1 4.35
Desmodus rotundus 4 1 1 25 99 1 1.01

Discoverability is definitely not great with customers almost never searching more than 1 page.

Edited by IKuzmin

7 hours ago, Jeffrey Isaac Greenberg said:

One issue is that Alamy's matching pulls words out of context and creates its on three or more word replies to searches ("white men talking" search pulled one of mine of a black man and a white man talking).  Today was "flakes" pulled from the caption's "red pepper flakes" and used as the search term "potato flakes" which was NOT in my photo.  I used to think that putting "quote marks" around phrases would preserve the phrase without mining it for words to put together to match a search when the caption and keywords were not misleading.   Captions are mined for keywords -- stopping that would stop most of my false positives. 

Edited by Rebecca Ore
  • Like 3

On 07/04/2023 at 15:24, IKuzmin said:

The 1st page of my search for the month (at present), CTR 1.05:

Search Term Your Views Sessions Your Zooms Your CTR(%) Total Views Total Zooms Total CTR(%)

In data you presented

a. multi word searches dominate

b. "Your Zooms" dominate "Total Zooms"

if your images are salable, you'll be regularly licensing them IMO
regardless of how buried they are in the back of single word searches...

HEAD-HURTING MISTER ED, NOW DO YOU UNDERSTAND, I HOPE YOU DO...

aside to The BYster: content, as in image content...

• Like 5
  • Dislike 3

5 hours ago, Jeffrey Isaac Greenberg said:

HEAD-HURTING MISTER ED, NOW DO YOU UNDERSTAND, I HOPE YOU DO...

Now I red-arrow you, mister. And done with you. Bye.

Edited by IKuzmin

14 minutes ago, Mr Standfast said:

Where can I find a bull frog leaping?  🦔

Talking from experience, even if you're the only zoom does not guarantee a sale. I was disappointed one month when I had the only zoom(s) on various searches. I was rubbing my hands with glee in anticipation. Nothing ever came out of it. I did a Google search on those zooms and no usage was found. 

• Love 1
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, gvallee said:

Speaking from experience, even if you're the only seller, that does not guarantee a sale. I was disappointed one month when I had the only zoom on various searches. I was rubbing my hands with glee in anticipation. Nothing ever came out of it. I did a Google search on those zooms, and no usage was found. 

deleted.

Edited by Ognyan Yosifov

11 hours ago, geogphotos said:

Caption and keyword appropriately and leave the rest to the buyers.

That too sounds logical. I see that there are at least two members giving Jeff red arrows. I'm not one of them. In fact, I've earned a few red arrows myself in this post. 🤔

• Love 2

It is best to read Jeff in the spirit of fun. I guess he is an irritation to some people. I enjoy him. You can block him, you know. Of course, I forget how to do it. I kind of skip past someone now and then.

Paulette

• Love 1
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, NYCat said:

It is best to read Jeff in the spirit of fun.

1. I think that even people with such clinical signs as bold, colored font and multi-smiles need to be basically polite.

2. I did write previously that from my searches customers search usually by 2, sometimes by 3, rarely by 1, and never by multi-store keywords. One must admit that most of animal common names are 2-word, sometimes 3 or more words, whereas scientific names are always 2-words. Hence, it I do not consider that "bull frog" are 2 keywords, it's one. Or places, like "Pacaya Samiria National Reserve" is just one place, like "Mexico City"; or, say, "Jeff Isaak Greenberg" is just one of the kind.

These are basic observations, but there are more implications like repeat sellers, high dilution with common keywords, etc. As I mentioned earlier, with >99% of bird images in my collection they sell in ~15% only and very rarely show up on the 1st search page.

Edited by IKuzmin
  • Like 1

56 minutes ago, IKuzmin said:

1. I think that even people with such clinical signs as bold, colored font and multi-smiles need to be basically polite.

Agreed. But I'd take it with a pinch of salt. I haven't figured Jeff out yet, don't understand half of what he says 😛

• Love 1
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, IKuzmin said:

2. I did write previously that from my searches customers search usually by 2, sometimes by 3, rarely by 1, and never by multi-store keywords. One must admit that most of animal common names are 2-word, sometimes 3 or more words, whereas scientific names are always 2-words. Hence, it I do not consider that "bull frog" are 2 keywords, it's one. Or places, like "Pacaya Samiria National Reserve" is just one place, like "Mexico City"; or, say, "Jeff Isaak Greenberg" is just one of the kind.

These are basic observations, but there are more implications like repeat sellers, high dilution with common keywords, etc. As I mentioned earlier, with >99% of bird images in my collection they sell in ~15% only and very rarely show up on the 1st search page.

i understand and I see your point. I was afraid you'd go away. I admire your work and am glad you do as well as you do. I am in a low point for some reason and I can't complain at all about my search position. I'm not making my wildlife trips anymore so I guess I need to expect fewer sales. I can go back and look for images I overlooked before but not a lot of wildlife in New York City. Lots of pigeons though and I do enjoy looking at them. The poor males puff themselves up and follow the females. So sad when they are disappointed.

Paulette

• Love 1

3 hours ago, Steve F said:

Agreed. But I'd take it with a pinch of salt. I haven't figured Jeff out yet, don't understand half of what he says 😛

You understand half, Steve. Hmm. Well, I always thought you were a very savvy guy.

Oh wait -- I'm misunderstanding. You DON'T understand half. I can understand that. But I thought Jeff was from Brooklyn? I'm from Brooklyn, so we should understand each other, no? 

Edited by Ed Rooney
  • Love 3

15 hours ago, IKuzmin said:

Now I red-arrow you, mister. And done with you. Bye.

and they sting they sting real bad ouch they hurt like a nail through each hand,
oh Betty help me I'm bleeding, get me down...

"Mister Ed" is Ed R of previous post above, somebody explain...

maybe Mr Ed will explain...
> Ed Rooney 😕: "I'm thinking about what you guys are saying, but it hurts my head." 

> Murray The I: I think that all we need to do is follow Alamy advice.

Betty, Murray The I is dismissing my altruistic thread !!
Can't someone give hope to those who think being buried
in one word searches gives them NO hope, can't they??

😨to all of you 😨buried in one word searches  😨it is NOT hopeless 😨it truly 😨is NOT   

• Thanks 2
  • Like 2

Jeff, in my experience, the best way to understand what you're saying is to look at your work. When the subject is photography you have to look at the images - it's all about content!

Judging you - judging anybody in groups like this one - requires knowing their work. Your work doesn't clarify your point: your work IS your point.

And once again, I find myself saying "It's all about content!"

• Like 1

I tried at one point to take some photos "a la Jeff" and I was lousy at it. It's not as easy as it looks to document the life around me in the City.

Paulette