February 2023 Favourite Uploads

Michael Ventura

55 minutes ago, cbimages said:

It can a bit much sometimes, but I am still here, and still managing on over the counter meds - panadol. Still doing what I can. Seems I can tolerate pain pretty well. Right shoulder done for. 5 cancer surgeries, no lymph nodes underarm and  many gone under collarbone too, lots of muscle gone (boobs long gone of course). You can fit a fist into the hole in my chest, it's not pretty. Also a full course of "normal" breast cancer radiation followed by another course of "intense" radiation therapy to try to kill off the cancer that had broken through my chest and back. The scarring is awful, bigger than a dinner plate. It hurts. And recently left shoulder given up. I'm left handed, Recent x-ray & ultrasound show severe degenerative changes, osteoarthritis, tendonitis and bursitis. I broke a rib last year, oncologist told me it showed on a scan, asked was I sore. I said yes, hard to hang clothes on the line and make the bed, figured something not right.

We're off to Bali end of next week for 2 months diving. May be the last trip though, cancer meds failing. Told to go "now while you can". I told oncologist to "find something else to keep me going". I will not give up. Hubby turns 83 in August, he's overweight and has a metal hip and knee. He still dives. He will not give up either.

I'm going to speak for myself here. I've had different agendas at different stages of my life.
As a teenager, it was going out and having fun with friends, escaping through my bedroom window to go disco, makeup, clothes, boyfriends, music.
At 20 something, it was married life and motherhood.
At 30 something, it was discovering the world, exciting solo life based around travel and adventurous friends.
At 40 something, it was solo daring, sometimes downright dangerous exciting foreign adventures.
From 50 onwards, passions were solidly established as travel and photography.
Right now, my lowest priority is what I look like. I wear hearing aids. When I ordered them, I was told they came in two colours: silver and gold. The lady told me 'because of the colour of your hair, perhaps gold would be more discreet'. I burst out laughing. I couldn't care less about people noticing.
I recently had something removed under my eye. 5 stitches. Was I going to get a scar? Am I running for a Vogue cover? Didn't care.
The most important thing at this point of my life is to have fun, be happy, get the adrenaline and enthusiasm flowing. And laughter.

You are brave beyond words Carol and have the right attitude. I wish you lots of happiness with your diving in Bali.

• Love 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, Ed Rooney said:

My goodness! I would walk out on patrol with any platoon you two Downunder girls are with.

🤣🤣🤣 You should have seen my 'don't mess with me' look in the streets when I lived in Manaus 🤣🤣🤣

• Like 3

5 hours ago, cbimages said:

It can a bit much sometimes, but I am still here, and still managing on over the counter meds - panadol. Still doing what I can. Seems I can tolerate pain pretty well. Right shoulder done for. 5 cancer surgeries, no lymph nodes underarm and  many gone under collarbone too, lots of muscle gone (boobs long gone of course). You can fit a fist into the hole in my chest, it's not pretty. Also a full course of "normal" breast cancer radiation followed by another course of "intense" radiation therapy to try to kill off the cancer that had broken through my chest and back. The scarring is awful, bigger than a dinner plate. It hurts. And recently left shoulder given up. I'm left handed, Recent x-ray & ultrasound show severe degenerative changes, osteoarthritis, tendonitis and bursitis. I broke a rib last year, oncologist told me it showed on a scan, asked was I sore. I said yes, hard to hang clothes on the line and make the bed, figured something not right.

We're off to Bali end of next week for 2 months diving. May be the last trip though, cancer meds failing. Told to go "now while you can". I told oncologist to "find something else to keep me going". I will not give up. Hubby turns 83 in August, he's overweight and has a metal hip and knee. He still dives. He will not give up either.

You are amazing. I escaped with just one surgery and six months of chemo. Being bald was the only side-effect and I got curlier hair afterwards. I do so admire you and hope you get an enormous amount of enjoyment from your trip.

Paulette

• Thanks 1

The women here, on the Alamy forum, are amazing and amazingly tough.  I get the slightest pain and I am ready to wave the white flag.  In fact most of the women I know are tougher than the guys I know.  My mom did all the plumbing and electrical repairs around the home, while my dad played tennis.  My daughter deals with the most horrific things at the hospital and then goes and fights fires and pulls people of wrecked cars, on her Sunday nights.  The old adage, "Grow some balls" to mean to get stronger, is so wrong. It should be, "Grow some ovaries!"

Edited by Michael Ventura
  • Love 5

15 hours ago, gvallee said:

I'm going to speak for myself here. I've had different agendas at different stages of my life.
As a teenager, it was going out and having fun with friends, escaping through my bedroom window to go disco, makeup, clothes, boyfriends, music.
At 20 something, it was married life and motherhood.
At 30 something, it was discovering the world, exciting solo life based around travel and adventurous friends.
At 40 something, it was solo daring, sometimes downright dangerous exciting foreign adventures.
From 50 onwards, passions were solidly established as travel and photography.
Right now, my lowest priority is what I look like. I wear hearing aids. When I ordered them, I was told they came in two colours: silver and gold. The lady told me 'because of the colour of your hair, perhaps gold would be more discreet'. I burst out laughing. I couldn't care less about people noticing.
I recently had something removed under my eye. 5 stitches. Was I going to get a scar? Am I running for a Vogue cover? Didn't care.
The most important thing at this point of my life is to have fun, be happy, get the adrenaline and enthusiasm flowing. And laughter.

You are brave beyond words Carol and have the right attitude. I wish you lots of happiness with your diving in Bali.

Thanks Gen, I sure understand about "what the hell" when looking in the mirror. I can;t change things, it is what it is. I tried on my swimwear a couple of days ago, still has "bits" in front for boobs. As always, I had a bit of a tear, then said, "f......it" and put them in the pile of things to go to Bali. Can't buy swimmers for a concave chest! People in Bali, especially those away from tourist areas, are amazingly straightforward yet gentle. Just shrug and say, "oh, but you are still strong". I think it's western society where we are more pressured to look right.

Anyway, thanks for all the kind words. Ed.....one day you might want to come and play with a pack of sharks with me?

• Love 2
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, cbimages said:

Thanks Gen, I sure understand about "what the hell" when looking in the mirror. I can;t change things, it is what it is. I tried on my swimwear a couple of days ago, still has "bits" in front for boobs. As always, I had a bit of a tear, then said, "f......it" and put them in the pile of things to go to Bali. Can't buy swimmers for a concave chest! People in Bali, especially those away from tourist areas, are amazingly straightforward yet gentle. Just shrug and say, "oh, but you are still strong". I think it's western society where we are more pressured to look right.

Anyway, thanks for all the kind words. Ed.....one day you might want to come and play with a pack of sharks with me?

Concave or convex chest, sharks will still be there and Edo will give you a hand 😆 Why worry!

Edited by gvallee

1 hour ago, cbimages said:

You are amazing.

12 hours ago, Ed Rooney said:

Bald is a hip hair style now, Paulette.

What do you think of this cat on a lead I snapped yesterday?

2NHCRC0.jpg

That is quite an unusual cat. Walking on a leash. How wonderful. Was it an exotic breed? Nice long stripe down the back.

Paulette

11 hours ago, Michael Ventura said:

The women here, on the Alamy forum, are amazing and amazingly tough.  I get the slightest pain and I am ready to wave the white flag.  In fact most of the women I know are tougher than the guys I know.  My mom did all the plumbing and electrical repairs around the home, while my dad played tennis.  My daughter deals with the most horrific things at the hospital and then goes and fights fires and pulls people of wrecked cars, on her Sunday nights.  The old adage, "Grow some balls" to mean to get stronger, is so wrong. It should be, "Grow some ovaries!"

I have to laugh at what you said here, Michael. Married at 15, I miscarried at barely 16, to the point I was in a coma for 2 days, being transfused through it. The old cowboy movies where a guy is shot, lying on the ground dying & says, “Where did the sun go? It’s dark”. Is true. When you bleed out, your retina can see very little light. I thought I was going blind.

As time went on, I had three healthy babes, but the last took two nights & a day of labor.

I’ve passed 2 kidney stones, & that’s no walk in the park. Gone through chemo, radiation & many other things. Surgeries.

So one day, my husband is constipated. He goes to the bathroom. I hear, “OHHHHHH, MOANNNN,” and all sorts of cries. I go to the bathroom door and call out, “Are you okay?”

The answer I get is…..drum roll….”You've never had pain like this!”

I turned on my heel & left him to his horrible pain.

Edited by Betty LaRue
  • Love 1
  • Like 1

16 minutes ago, Betty LaRue said:

I have to laugh at what you said here, Michael. Married at 15, I miscarried at barely 16, to the point I was in a coma for 2 days, being transfused through it. The old cowboy movies where a guy is shot, lying on the ground dying & says, “Where did the sun go? It’s dark”. Is true. When you bleed out, your retina can see very little light. I thought I was going blind.

As time went on, I had three healthy babes, but the last took two nights & a day of labor.

I’ve passed 2 kidney stones, & that’s no walk in the park. Gone through chemo, radiation & many other things. Surgeries.

So one day, my husband is constipated. He goes to the bathroom. I hear, “OHHHHHH, MOANNNN,” and all sorts of cries. I go to the bathroom door and call out, “Are you okay?”

The answer I get is…..drum roll….”You've never had pain like this!”

I turned on my heel & left him to his horrible pain.

I needed a laugh Betty, and just got it reading about your husband. Thanks. But wow, you are so strong, been through so much. hugs to you.

Edited by cbimages
  • Love 1

43 minutes ago, Michael Ventura said:

I’m a big fan of tough women, if men had to give birth, the world would be full of one child families.

For sure Michael. Might be a good way to control population? I am childless (by choice) after looking around and realising that the wives of friends could just not drop everything and go diving whenever they wanted to. A no brainer for me. Had a tough time convincing the doctors though, late 20's, not married (was widowed then) and wanted to be 100% sure nothing unwanted happened. 

• Love 1
  • Like 1

A few shots from Oxford last Saturday, 3 of 47 uploaded, was a busy day. Unfortunately I couldn't be everywhere at the same time. Second and third image shot up close with D500 and 10-24mm lens at wide end, that combo was widely used on the day. I wish I had brought the RX100 and gimbal for video, but I already had a full back pack. TVP reported only 5 arrests for public order offences.

oxford-uk-february-18th-2023-thousands-o

Edited by sb photos
  • Love 1

Right, that's me out of the Bad News thread for a change.

I've done a tremendous effort and took people shots while I'm in a town. No idea about potential sales as it's really not my forte.

Critique anyone? Am I shooting myself in the foot? Or??

2NJPF83.jpg

2NJPFEG.jpg

2NJPG23.jpg

2NJPG7C.jpg

2NJPGWF.jpg

2NJPH3N.jpg

• Love 2
  • Like 2

the-faoin-sceach-sculpture-in-sligo-city

Taken in Sligo City, the home of my grandparents. A memorial for the Great Famine. I'm in the wrong post here. This was a. $$ sale yesterday.

Gen, your street shots with people look good to me. I've been trying to include people in my snaps of buildings and stuff but it's hard these days to find folks doing anything except looking at their phones.

Paulette, I wasn't able to find out what breed of cat that was. She was with a family and small children. That's the second cat I've seen on a lead in Liverpool. Hmm.

• Love 1

15 minutes ago, Ed Rooney said:

Taken in Sligo City, the home of my grandparents. A memorial for the Great Famine. I'm in the wrong post here. This was a. $$ sale yesterday.

Gen, your street shots with people look good to me. I've been trying to include people in my snaps of buildings and stuff but it's hard these days to find folks doing anything except looking at their phones.

Paulette, I wasn't able to find out what breed of cat that was. She was with a family and small children. That's the second cat I've seen on a lead in Liverpool. Hmm.

Thank you Edo. You're absolutely right. You might notice that the two persons sitting on the left at Villa Romana are looking at their phones....

On 23/02/2023 at 09:45, gvallee said:

Thank you Edo. You're absolutely right. You might notice that the two persons sitting on the left at Villa Romana are looking at their phones....

That is one way of getting people shots without possible confrontation as they are too wrapped up in their phones.

Another way is asking the possible quarry.  They can only say "NO!"

Allan

Edited by Allan Bell

On 23/02/2023 at 09:29, Ed Rooney said:

Paulette, I wasn't able to find out what breed of cat that was. She was with a family and small children. That's the second cat I've seen on a lead in Liverpoo 

My pet hate is when photographing someone giving a speech and they are reading it looking down at their phone screen. Waiting for some eye contact can take ages.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Allan Bell said:

That is one way of getting people shots without possible confrontation as they are too wrapped up in their phones.

Another way is asking the possible quarry.  They can only say "NO!"

Allan

I was once photographing the terrace of a restaurant on the seafront. I noticed a female customer holding her napkin in front of her face when she spotted me. Perhaps she was not supposed to be there? Was her companion her lover? I took several shots and she did it every single time. I pretended not to notice and walked away.

• Love 1