Just by chance I woke up to the venerable British farming programme Farming Today on the radio, they were at the exhibition 'Forty Farms' in Penrith taken by the photographer Amy Bateman. She was introduced as having won the 2019 British Life Photographer of the Year award, and indeed I think she had 4 other pictures selected for the book, the last year that competition was run. I believe she was farmer and an amateur photographer then but clearly had the talent to go further which she most clearly has done. Sometimes entering competitions, and preferably succeeding, can act as both encouragement and as a way to get your name out, even just to introduce yourself to people that you would like to photograph. I guess it's important to choose the right competitions though but a lot of photographers have lists of competitions entered and awards won on their profile pages.

For anyone near Penrith, it's at the Rheged until 4th January.

Edited by Harry Harrison
  • Like 2

On 26/12/2022 at 13:27, Rebecca Ore said:

Better to get a community college photo certificate and get a job editing or assisting, and get paid something.   The higher priced educational programs don't do better for their students than the community college programs (the Philly community college program was quite good and I heard of one in NC which was also very good).

Agree.  While I didn't get a certificate/degree and never intended to I attended many classes at the excellent Professional Photography program at Austin Community College.  Was a great program that offers certificates and AAS degrees.

The competitions I've looked at seemed to be rights grabs in exchange for prizes.

20 hours ago, Colin C said:

Typo -

Meat hsnging on hook at butcher shop in medina area of Essaouira, Morocco, north Africa

- Image ID: 2M2PDF3

Thanks

"Looking across the salt marsh at West Wittering beach.in West Sussex"

Suggest that you add 'marram grass' 'sand dune'

• Thanks 1

Just looked at the Rules for the (Sony) World Photography Awards and the size restriction for uploading images initially is:

2.2  Images should be no smaller than 1MB and no larger than 5MB. Images should be JPEG files.

OK, but a little meaningless technically speaking, why can't they just give maximum pixel dimensions?

Open competition closes on 6th January, professional on 13th, but free to enter at least for a certain number of images, depends up the competition.

And then there are the rules:

4.1.6 Each Entry does not infringe upon the copyrights, trademarks, contract rights, or any other intellectual property rights of any third person or entity, or violate any person’s rights of privacy or publicity, including:

4.1.6.1 trademarks owned by third parties

and then...

4.3 You confirm that each person depicted in the Entry has granted permission to be portrayed as shown. Any costumes, props or other materials used must be rented or borrowed with the permission of the owner, and all other relevant permissions must have been obtained.

So perhaps this is what Alan was referring to above, taken literally you might presume that you need model & property releases, surely this can't be true.

They must have an enormous number of images entered, how on earth do they go about eliminating the bulk of them, I'm pretty sure it won't be the advertised judges.

The link to the 2023 jury goes to a '404' Page not found, not very professional.

Edited by Harry Harrison

Actually you can download the 2022 book as a pdf, it looks to me as if it is in fact devoid of brands and, more particularly from my point of view, candid pictures of people. Apart from the pure photojournalism entries any people in the images seem to be portraits, family or unrecognizable as they are turned away from the camera.

2 hours ago, Harry Harrison said:

So perhaps this is what Alan was referring to above, taken literally you might presume that you need model & property releases, surely this can't be true.

I would assume "relevant permissions" is the key phrase, and negates the need for model releases in street photography and such like. Not that I'd bother with these unless you have a facebook army ready to rig the vote.

On 29/12/2022 at 16:16, geogphotos said:

Thanks

"Looking across the salt marsh at West Wittering beach.in West Sussex"

Suggest that you add 'marram grass' 'sand dune'

Thanks for that 🙂

12 minutes ago, Cal said:

I would assume "relevant permissions" is the key phrase, and negates the need for model releases in street photography and such like. Not that I'd bother with these unless you have a facebook army ready to rig the vote.

Well maybe, but "You confirm that each person depicted in the Entry has granted permission to be portrayed as shown" seems pretty unambiguous. I don't know how people vote on this one, do the general public get a look in? The book looks fine and I did pop into the exhibition at Somerset House one year, they present it well but it's not for me I think.

I know what you mean though, in order to enter one competition, or should I say the other competition that I entered, you had to upload them to Photocrowd. Now success on there does seem to depend entirely on popularity on social media.

Edited by Harry Harrison
  • Like 1