Live News tips

Steve F

Question

Hey all,

I'm covering a strike this week and I've got temporary Live News access. Has anyone got any tips they can share with me? I've got the standard Live News intro email from Alamy with the PDF caption guide. I'm just wondering about whether anyone does any image editing before submitting? Or is it more of a case of get it out asap? And things like is it usual to get people's names (if they choose to give them), and does that help image saleability?

Thanks,

Steve

The other morning at 8am with the temperature at minus 6C I walked all around the nearby hospital looking for striking nurses and found none! I did encounter an altercation of a woman trying to drag a bike away from a cyclist and kicking out at his bike but I decided this was not 'news'. I did find mail and rail strikers on other days so managed something.  

On 17/12/2022 at 16:17, sb photos said:

Just read your post Andy. I've previously passed going the other way a convoy of about 10 gritting lorries that had just pulled out of a depot early evening. Next day I waited outside the depot on the pavement for them at a similar time. After nearly 2 hours no activity and I was cold so went home.

It can be very frustrating trying to get topical news. I asked at my local council depot if I could get a few shots of the gritters filling up. No go some jobsworth said he needed to ring up to get permission to let me on site. 

Andy

1 hour ago, aphperspective said:

8am in the morning at minus 6C the weather is the news, frozen car windows, frost on driveways, people wrapped up at bus stops. Back inside and get it up on line.

Andy.

Yes

2M3TRPH.jpg

On 18/12/2022 at 16:43, aphperspective said:

It can be very frustrating trying to get topical news. I asked at my local council depot if I could get a few shots of the gritters filling up. No go some jobsworth said he needed to ring up to get permission to let me on site. 

Andy

Email the press office?  They know the benefit of some snaps.  The worst the can say is no  or maybe yes but can we have some freebies!

🦔

• Like 1

On 14/12/2022 at 13:23, Steve F said:

Wow, sold one already after just an hour, fastest sale ever! Thanks again everyone. Almost into $$...

I find the news pics are commonly selling for a less than a couple of dollars unfortunately though they do tend to do well later down the line as repeats in general stock.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, BradleyPhoto said:

I find the news pics are commonly selling for a less than a couple of dollars unfortunately though they do tend to do well later down the line as repeats in general stock.

I've sold 3 so far that I know of. Wouldn't have covered a trip anywhere, but it was on my doorstep, so...

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Steve F said:

I've sold 3 so far that I know of. Wouldn't have covered a trip anywhere, but it was on my doorstep, so...

To be honest, I think local tends to be best. Having a camera available you often stumble across news worthy things

• Love 1