September 2022 - Favourite Uploads

Michael Ventura

• 2 weeks later...

Two, one new and one from before I moved to Nicaragua.

2K38DKP.jpg

A local land snail (I've seen this species before) turning.  It's been very wet here which tends to bring out snails.  This was taken with a flash and my 30mm Sony macro lens.  I think some macros have better resolution, but this is great for the price (on sale). 

2K38DC4.jpg

This was taken with my Minolta Autocord in Harper's Ferry, West Virginia, but was scanned a bit small.   I enlarged it and decided to chance it.  It passed QC.  Gave the Autocord to a film student when I got Hasselblad gear, but miss the Autocord. 

Edited by Rebecca Ore
more about the lens on the Sony a6000. And a correction to the state.
  • Love 1
  • Like 1

23 minutes ago, Rebecca Ore said:

Two, one new and one from before I moved to Nicaragua.

2K38DKP.jpg

A local land snail (I've seen this species before) turning.  It's been very wet here which tends to bring out snails.  This was taken with a flash and my 30mm Sony macro lens.  I think some macros have better resolution, but this is great for the price (on sale). 

2K38DC4.jpg

This was taken with my Minolta Autocord in Harper's Ferry, Virginia, but was scanned a bit small.   I enlarged it and decided to chance it.  It passed QC.  Gave the Autocord to a film student when I got Hasselblad gear, but miss the Autocord. 

Just to make sure you have your caption correct, Harper’s Ferry is in West Virginia, not Virginia.  Love the snail!

16 minutes ago, gvallee said:

Gee! Only two pages of Favourites Uploads for September! That summarises the mood, doesn't it?

Here's some Australian reptiles

2K3PK54.jpg

2K3PK6F.jpg

2K3PK9H.jpg

2K3PKFB.jpg

2K3PKCK.jpg

2K3PKHH.jpg

Great photos, Gen. I particularly like the one with 3 lizards (not sure what species they are).

5 minutes ago, VbFolly said:

Great photos, Gen. I particularly like the one with 3 lizards (not sure what species they are).

Thank you Gillian. One is a Bearded Dragon and the other two Blue-tongued Skinks. 

I have been following your portfolio and am impressed. I am very happy for you that you've been successful at what I failed when I lived near Farnham. Great images!

20 minutes ago, gvallee said:

Thank you Gillian. One is a Bearded Dragon and the other two Blue-tongued Skinks. 

I have been following your portfolio and am impressed. I am very happy for you that you've been successful at what I failed when I lived near Farnham. Great images!

Ah, I wasn't sure what they were. I thought male and females of the same species.

Thanks for the compliment. I volunteer regularly with amphibian and reptile conservation organisations, so get to see a lot more of our local herps than most people. I don't upload so many of those here anymore as we have such a limited range of species in the UK, and it would get repetitive. I would love to visit somewhere like Australia with so many amazing species.

• Love 1

5 minutes ago, VbFolly said:

Ah, I wasn't sure what they were. I thought male and females of the same species.

Thanks for the compliment. I volunteer regularly with amphibian and reptile conservation organisations, so get to see a lot more of our local herps than most people. I don't upload so many of those here anymore as we have such a limited range of species in the UK, and it would get repetitive. I would love to visit somewhere like Australia with so many amazing species.

These were actually taken in a brilliant reptile centre. The exhibits are in the open and you can get very close. It's super well done. Another absolutely brilliant place is called Alice Springs Desert Park. It's a huge park in natural habitat with lots of birds, a walk-in aviary and an amazing bird flight display. Oz is a joy for wildlife. 

• Love 1

7 minutes ago, gvallee said:

These were actually taken in a brilliant reptile centre. The exhibits are in the open and you can get very close. It's super well done. Another absolutely brilliant place is called Alice Springs Desert Park. It's a huge park in natural habitat with lots of birds, a walk-in aviary and an amazing bird flight display. Oz is a joy for wildlife. 

Both sound like great places to visit and take photos. Your images look like they could have been taken in the wild, which is difficult to achieve in most artificial settings.

• Love 2

14 hours ago, gvallee said:

Gee! Only two pages of Favourites Uploads for September! That summarises the mood, doesn't it?

Here's some Australian reptiles

2K3PK54.jpg

2K3PK6F.jpg

2K3PK9H.jpg

2K3PKFB.jpg

2K3PKCK.jpg

2K3PKHH.jpg

A real nice set of images Gen!!!  What a nice facility to be able to get photos of these critters!

• Like 1

I was searching for a true sunset image due to @edo's thread, and realized one I'd licensed for a calendar directly wasn't online here, and I ended up adding a bunch of old photos from Newport, Rhode Island taken on various visits between 2009 and 2015. Here are a few:

The aforementioned sunset with the full sun in the image - a rarity for me. I assume it's close enough to the horizon to be a sunset and not simply golden hour? It was in a Newport calendar some years back.

seascape-with-gold-and-purple-sunset-sai

And this one was on the calendar's cover. It's a particular favorite:

cliff-walk-along-the-sea-newport-ri-rhod

I love this scene although I wish the boy in the white shirt was facing into the photo instead of out of the frame. Since it's editorial, I couldn't mess with it. I love sailboats in black and white and so I processed it that way. 

newport-rhode-island-peaceful-summer-sce

Another sunset/golden hour image - cliche I know but I still like it and It's the kind of thing stock image licensees seem to search for a lot which is what we want:

romantic-golden-hour-seascape-as-the-sun

I have so many images of this lighthouse taken over the years - Alamy has licensed many others for me. This one is from 2015. I haven't been to Newport in way too long:

castle-hill-lighthouse-in-summer-on-narr

A friend bought a print of this for her wall because apparently you can rent out the Rose Island Lighthouse and stay there - she stayed the for her sister-in-law's bachelorette weekend, what you British folks call a hen party - (hen weekend?) 

rose-island-lighthouse-and-the-claiborne

Edited by Marianne
typo
  • Love 2
  • Like 1

A few of my September uploads. A couple of cakes from a recent holiday in Rhodes, Greece (Portokalopita, Orange Pie and a huge Cream Horn). Some plain scones (called biscuits in the US I think)I made from a Paul Hollywood recipe. He says his were the Queen Mothers favourites and I wouldn’t argue with that. They’re made using strong bread flour and lots of baking powder. Finally, a resourceful neighbour who’s recycled empty plastic milk cartons, filled with sand, into a garden retaining wall.

2K3WK16.jpg

2K3RG5J.jpg

2K3RG35.jpg

2K3RFNE.jpg

• Love 2
  • Like 1

Here are a couple of photos from a favorite outdoor restaurant. I love that the butterfly seems oblivious to the diners.

They have a beautiful outdoor garden with the tallest zinnias I've ever seen. This was shot straight on - they really are that tall!

a-monarch-butterfly-flitters-past-diners

And here's a close up because I can't help but love the flowers:

a-beautiful-bright-happy-pink-zinnia-ele

• Love 2
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Steve Hyde said:

A few of my September uploads. A couple of cakes from a recent holiday in Rhodes, Greece (Portokalopita, Orange Pie and a huge Cream Horn). Some plain scones (called biscuits in the US I think)I made from a Paul Hollywood recipe. He says his were the Queen Mothers favourites and I wouldn’t argue with that. They’re made using strong bread flour and lots of baking powder. Finally, a resourceful neighbour who’s recycled empty plastic milk cartons, filled with sand, into a garden retaining wall.

2K3WK16.jpg

2K3RG5J.jpg

2K3RG35.jpg

2K3RFNE.jpg

I recently made a new recipe for biscuits. So so simple. Whatever amount of self-rising flour, a pinch of salt and add rich whipping cream to the flour to make a barely sticky dough. Knead a few times on a floured surface, roll out to 1/2 inch thick, cut out…I used an appropriate sized drinking glass just the right size. Cut straight down without twisting the glass. Grease a large enough pan to not crowd the biscuits. Bake in a hot oven, mine was 500 degrees. Didn’t take long, maybe 15 minutes until they were browned. I was happy with them. You can, if you want, brush them with melted butter when they come out.

• Love 2
  • Like 1

Lots of lovely wildlife and tasty eats this month.

I've been shooting in very dark museums, handheld. Unlike wildlife, nothing has tried to bite me. Oh, and I've not tried to taste anything.

carved-wood-statue-of-black-man-breaking

Edited by Ed Rooney
  • Love 3
  • Like 1

A bit late to this one but I will add some for interest.

Back Chat Brass band playing at the Cornhill Cove Lincoln city 2022

back-chat-brass-band-playing-at-the-cornhill-cove-lincoln-city-2022-2JWMTA0.jpg

Trader setting up stall for Lincoln Pride parade, High street Lincoln city 2022

trader-setting-up-stall-for-lincoln-pride-parade-high-street-lincoln-city-2022-2JWMW7A.jpg

Couple looking in window of Heritage Country lifestyle shop, Steep Hill Lincoln city 2022

couple-looking-in-window-of-heritage-country-lifestyle-shop-steep-hill-lincoln-city-2022-2K1B234.jpg

Crowds of people gathering at level crossing gates, High Street, Lincoln city2022

crowds-of-people-gathering-at-level-crossing-gates-high-street-lincoln-city2022-2K1B23Y.jpg

Four people dressed for the Lincoln Steampunk Festival, Bailgate Lincoln 2022

four-people-dressed-for-the-lincoln-steampunk-festival-bailgate-lincoln-2022-2K01WBG.jpg

Steampunk dressed person being videoed for local television, Castle Hill Lincoln 2022

steampunk-dressed-person-being-videoed-for-local-television-castle-hill-lincoln-2022-2K01WDB.jpg

All for now.

Allan

Edited by Allan Bell
  • Love 1
  • Like 1