Leica’s new camera

Betty LaRue

On 29/08/2022 at 19:53, Marianne said:

Love my micro 4/3rds Olympus. Can carry it & 3 lenses all day long so light. Never had a fail & many of my sales are from that camera. If I was only shooting stock it would still be my go-to. Perfect mix of quality & weight. Only downside not great in lowlight   Maybe newer models are better at night (I have the OMD E1 from 2014) interestingly at night I found jpegs were better than anything I could do with RAW some great shots of a fire & buildings lit up at night but blue hour after the sun sets always a disappointment. Traveling I’d  often carry the Oly all day & go back to the hotel & switch to my D700 & later my Sony @ night. Not much travel these days. 

I had looked @ Olys a few years earlier before a European trip in 2011 & decided the quality wasn’t yet up to snuff, so Alan you might be surprised by the newer ones though the sensor size may still limit them in low light. 

crazy money for a Leica given how prices have come down. And it looks like it’s a fixed lens.  You could get a used 16 MP Oly or Panasonic for a song with a variety of lenses. 

Marianne would you mind telling me what you think of the Oly lenses. Are they sharp corner to corner for instance. How are they with contrast etc.

Allan

On 01/09/2022 at 21:01, wiskerke said:

Haha! Yes I did hold up a couple of planes in the days.

Then you're the last one in and they're rushing to close the door after you and the whole plane looks at you with eyes full of hatred. 😂

Don't you miss those years? Mwah. Maybe not. 😁

wim

Wim,

I got arrested at the Stockholm Airport for not allowing them to X-ray my unprocessed film.  SAS sort of screwed up I had made arrangements with SAS to have an agent waiting for me and they were not there.  I had 250 rolls of PKL most pushed 1 or 2 stops.  SAS ended upgrading me to first class.  Actually, the easiest place to not have film X-rayed for me was the Soviet Union (SU).

Funny thing is that I had three rolls of RDP that I carried through a dozen airports in the U.S., Europe and SU, had all of them x-rayed.  One roll to process normal, one +1 and one +2 stops.  Had them all processed in San Francisco and tested by FUJI.  The X-rays at the airports made no difference.

Chuck

Edited by Chuck Nacke
grammer

5 hours ago, Chuck Nacke said:

Wim,

I got arrested at the Stockholm Airport for not allowing them to X-ray my unprocessed film.  SAS sort of screwed up I had made arrangements with SAS to have an agent waiting for me and they were not there.  I had 250 rolls of PKL most pushed 1 or 2 stops.  SAS ended upgrading me to first class.  Actually, the easiest place to not have film X-rayed for me was the Soviet Union (SU).

Funny thing is that I had three rolls of RDP that I carried through a dozen airports in the U.S., Europe and SU, had all of them x-rayed.  One rolls to process normal, one +1 and one +2 stops.  Had them all processed in San Francisco and tested by FUJI.  The X-rays at the airports made no difference.

Chuck

I once had to open 50 cans of Kodak somewhere myself, in case they were booby-trapped. That was years before 9/11. The Fuji Velvia cans were see-through.

After 9/11 it was a totally different scene. My Olympus OM4Ti's regularly came up positive for explosives. You know with the swab thingies on a stick. In London Heathrow one of the bomb experts once recognized me from the week before and explained it was the lubricant. Combined with the hand-checking and the X-ray pouches it would throw them in a fit. Flying business or first helped a little bit, but was pretty rare for me.

wim

5 hours ago, wiskerke said:

I once had to open 50 cans of Kodak somewhere myself, in case they were booby-trapped. That was years before 9/11. The Fuji Velvia cans were see-through.

After 9/11 it was a totally different scene. My Olympus OM4Ti's regularly came up positive for explosives. You know with the swab thingies on a stick. In London Heathrow one of the bomb experts once recognized me from the week before and explained it was the lubricant. Combined with the hand-checking and the X-ray pouches it would throw them in a fit. Flying business or first helped a little bit,but was pretty rare for me.

wim

Wim, we could go on and bore those who did not fly with film, but.  I will end my contribution to this with:  One friend, photographer, who was large and had an even larger

temper, gave an airport security person so much hell at the X-ray machine that she quit her job and sued him and his agency for "mental stress."

Yes the clear cans that FUJI used were great for those of use only carrying film, I knew, know a few photographers that took advantage of the KODAK black cans.....

Never heard about the lubricant in OM4's, I only used OM1s way way back.

Happy Days

Chuck

On 02/09/2022 at 04:44, Allan Bell said:

Marianne would you mind telling me what you think of the Oly lenses. Are they sharp corner to corner for instance. How are they with contrast etc.

Allan

Allan, I purchased the consumer grade lenses, the 25mm f1.8 (50mm equivalent), the 17mm f/1.8 (~35mm) and the 40-150mm f/4.0-5.6R (~80-300). I went with the less expensive ones since I was experimenting with mirrorless, intending to upgrade later but found all the lenses I purchased were very sharp, nice contrast and color, extremely small and light, even the very inexpensive 40-150mm which is under a pound. Interestingly, I tried out the pro 7-14mm f/2.8 a couple years later and returned it since the chroma was awful.  I may have just gotten a bad one but it wasn't up to snuff. I like that the 17 & 25mm are so fast. As I mentioned, when pushed above 800 ISo to 800-2000 ISO, the jpegs are better than anything I could achieve with the RAW files which is disappointing, but for daytime shots, unless I was pixel peeping at 200%, I found the difference between them and images taken with much more expensive Nikon lenses (and my D700 or D5000) to be very acceptable and excellent for both stock and many fine art photos as well. I was using a 16MP camera, so I would not compare them to the 42MP Sony, which is overkill for stock, I think. 

You can probably get them used for a song, but even new they are inexpensive. I tried out the more expensive pro zoom (40-150mm) at PhotoExpo and the images were terrific, and considered it, but didn't get it. I'd have kept the less expensive (under $150) 40-150 since it was so light and I could walk around for 8 hour days with the camera and all three lenses in my pack despite a bad back and neck and shoulder issues. 

The IBS on the Olys is fantastic too. I could shoot handheld at 1/8 with no blur. I don't shoot below 1/15 with my Sonys. 

My only concern would be that Olympus is getting out of cameras though they have sold the business to another Japanese brand. I never tried the corresponding Panasonics but read good reviews.

Hope this helps. 

6 hours ago, Ed Rooney said:

There are a lot of things I don't miss about the film era, but traveling with a lot of film would be Number One.

Yes, I don't miss film at all!! Nearly missing flights due to security wanting to open every box of film...or just having to let them go through x-ray on some tiny island country with who knows what kind of calibration is done on the machines.  Though my worst film experience was of my own doing.  I came home late one evening, close to midnight, and I soon as I said hello to my then wife, I realized I was missing a shoulder bag containing around 60 rolls of shot film from a magazine shoot in the Caribbean.  She said that I better call the airport and I just grabbed my car keys and drove 40 minutes back to the airport.  Turned out that I left that bag on the shuttle bus to the carpark.  I was SO relieved to be reunited with all that work in one bag.  I remember driving back home with the bag lying next to me, on the passenger seat, and I kept looking over at it  like it was a child of mine who had gotten lost at a theme park.

1 hour ago, Michael Ventura said:

Yes, I don't miss film at all!! Nearly missing flights due to security wanting to open every box of film...or just having to let them go through x-ray on some tiny island country with who knows what kind of calibration is done on the machines.  Though my worst film experience was of my own doing.  I came home late one evening, close to midnight, and I soon as I said hello to my then wife, I realized I was missing a shoulder bag containing around 60 rolls of shot film from a magazine shoot in the Caribbean.  She said that I better call the airport and I just grabbed my car keys and drove 40 minutes back to the airport.  Turned out that I left that bag on the shuttle bus to the carpark.  I was SO relieved to be reunited with all that work in one bag.  I remember driving back home with the bag lying next to me, on the passenger seat, and I kept looking over at it  like it was a child of mine who had gotten lost at a theme park.

All our images are our children that is why when we put RM on them and they are sold as RF with "in perpetuity" rights it aggravates us so much.

Allan

• Love 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Marianne said:

Allan, I purchased the consumer grade lenses, the 25mm f1.8 (50mm equivalent), the 17mm f/1.8 (~35mm) and the 40-150mm f/4.0-5.6R (~80-300). I went with the less expensive ones since I was experimenting with mirrorless, intending to upgrade later but found all the lenses I purchased were very sharp, nice contrast and color, extremely small and light, even the very inexpensive 40-150mm which is under a pound. Interestingly, I tried out the pro 7-14mm f/2.8 a couple years later and returned it since the chroma was awful.  I may have just gotten a bad one but it wasn't up to snuff. I like that the 17 & 25mm are so fast. As I mentioned, when pushed above 800 ISo to 800-2000 ISO, the jpegs are better than anything I could achieve with the RAW files which is disappointing, but for daytime shots, unless I was pixel peeping at 200%, I found the difference between them and images taken with much more expensive Nikon lenses (and my D700 or D5000) to be very acceptable and excellent for both stock and many fine art photos as well. I was using a 16MP camera, so I would not compare them to the 42MP Sony, which is overkill for stock, I think. 

You can probably get them used for a song, but even new they are inexpensive. I tried out the more expensive pro zoom (40-150mm) at PhotoExpo and the images were terrific, and considered it, but didn't get it. I'd have kept the less expensive (under $150) 40-150 since it was so light and I could walk around for 8 hour days with the camera and all three lenses in my pack despite a bad back and neck and shoulder issues. 

The IBS on the Olys is fantastic too. I could shoot handheld at 1/8 with no blur. I don't shoot below 1/15 with my Sonys. 

My only concern would be that Olympus is getting out of cameras though they have sold the business to another Japanese brand. I never tried the corresponding Panasonics but read good reviews.

Hope this helps. 

Many thanks Marianne for taking all the time to reply in detail.  Hmm! I might be looking at some S/H Olys.  I see you have the older model OMD E1 if you were replacing it what model would you get now?

Allan

2 hours ago, Michael Ventura said:

Michael, for heaven’s sake quit posting these disasters! (Kidding) You will surely give me nightmares. Just reading your post, I had the same feeling of doom, then the rush of happiness you felt looking at your reclaimed bag. I wouldn’t have simply made a phone call, either.

I’m too empathetic. 
I did lose a child at a the zoo. Shortly recovered, though.

• Love 1

44 minutes ago, John Mitchell said:

Just wondering, what have others done with all those lead-lined, supposedly X-ray proof film bags?

If you have a very modern car maybe you could keep your electronic key in it, a Faraday bag, seems these luxury cars are ridiculously easy to steal even if the key is inside your house.

23 minutes ago, Harry Harrison said:

If you have a very modern car maybe you could keep your electronic key in it, a Faraday bag, seems these luxury cars are ridiculously easy to steal even if the key is inside your house.

I have a not-so-luxurious car with old fashioned keys and roll-up windows, so that won't work. My lead-lined film bags are currently gathering dust in a drawer. I tried to sell them online a few years ago, but for some reason no one was interested. 🙃

2 hours ago, Betty LaRue said:

Michael, for heaven’s sake quit posting these disasters! (Kidding) You will surely give me nightmares. Just reading your post, I had the same feeling of doom, then the rush of happiness you felt looking at your reclaimed bag. I wouldn’t have simply made a phone call, either.

I’m too empathetic. 
I did lose a child at a the zoo. Shortly recovered, though.

Ha! Okay, last one....speaking of losing a kid, we had a big scare at the Grand Canyon...of all places.   We took off on a trail (wife and two kids) at sunrise, out to this lookout spot, with nothing but canyon below and the trail was narrow with very little keeping you on the path.  People with an aversion to heights should not take this trail called The Bright Angel Trail.  Well my son was 6 or 7 and full of energy, and after taking in the spectacular views, we headed back.  Once we were back off the trail, my wife turns and asks where our son was, I thought he was up ahead.  Well she started to panic while I tried to keep my cool, we looked all over and called his name and she was about to get the park rangers involved.  All I could think about was the steep drop off down into the canyon.   I started to head back on the trail and there was a woman walking toward me and I stopped her and asked if she had see a young boy with an orange long sleeve shirt and basketball on the front and she said yes, that she had passed him on the trail!!  So we frantically hiked back until we luckily found him.  He was wasn't worried at all, he just decided he wanted to see more, totally oblivious to what we could have been worried about!

This is a photo from that crazy little hike.

an-11-and-8-yr-old-walk-along-the-bright

• Love 1

Bright Angel Trail. I went down on a mule. No way I would have been able to do it on foot. Too scary. I trusted the animal not to step off, though they like to walk right along the edge. Something about eyes on either side of the head. Also, the first turn onto the trail is sooooo exciting.. as the mule walks to the edge with it's head going out over the canyon. A wonderful experience and I'm glad I did it when I could. The Grand Canyon can't really be appreciated in photos. It takes your breath away in person.

Paulette

• Love 1

37 minutes ago, NYCat said:

Bright Angel Trail. I went down on a mule. No way I would have been able to do it on foot. Too scary. I trusted the animal not to step off, though they like to walk right along the edge. Something about eyes on either side of the head. Also, the first turn onto the trail is sooooo exciting.. as the mule walks to the edge with it's head going out over the canyon. A wonderful experience and I'm glad I did it when I could. The Grand Canyon can't really be appreciated in photos. It takes your breath away in person.

Paulette

Sorry to hijack this thread Betty, last post off topic. Promise.  We only hiked a small portion of it, not down to the bottom and yes, it is true that pictures just can do the Grand Canyon justice, absolutely breath taking!!!  I had dinner with my son tonight (now 24 yrs old) and I asked him what he remembers about that morning and he remembered it very well, he said he ran ahead and went to our cabin, which wasn't far from the trailhead and waited but when we didn't show up, he went back looking for us and we must have just missed each other.  So he went looking for us on the trail.  

Should I tell about almost falling into the Grand Canyon, the confrontation with Italian military at Rome airport, or dropping a new Leica out of a Huey in the Iron Triangle? I've probably told all those stories in the forum already. I think I might have also mentioned something about the fire on Mulberry Street? 🤔

That's a really nice photo, Michael. I didn't walk down the trail that far. The passing packs of mules all looked like they wanted a bite out of me. 

Edo

Edited by Ed Rooney

Yes, Edo, and the mules have the right of way. Hikers have to cower. At one point our lead mule peed and then they all had to add to the puddle. I definitely recommend taking a mule. We did it all in one day... four hours down and then back. It nearly killed us. If I did it again I'd do the overnight at the bottom. We were afraid we'd be too sore the next day but that wasn't really true. It was the trip back up using muscles never used before that was the hard part. Our wrangler recommended aspirin when we got back but I think we should have been taking it all the way. It was glorious though.

Paulette

I was truly mindful of the mules, Paulette -- motionless against the wall as they passed. On a tight assignment schedule, I didn't have time to do the whole trail. I spent about an hour doing the best I could. 

I want to say to the International community here, that if you can make a trip to America's Southwest, Grand Canyon is truly spectacular. 

This is a kinda crappy scan of film from a mule ride I did on Molokai, Hawaii, down to the old leper colony called Kualapapa.  Paulette, I get it,  it is up there as one of the scariest things I have done. One of the mules stumbled, in our group, and I thought someone was a goner! Starting at 1,600 feet above sea level, it is just a series of switchbacks until you get down to eye level with the ocean surf.

usa-hawaii-molokai-mule-ride-to-kalaupap

We were all women in our group. One woman's husband had chickened out before leaving the corral. Once you leave the corral you are not allowed to get off the mule. Our wrangler said he thought women generally did better because they were willing to show maximum fear at the first turn and then they were all right. I do remember one woman leaning very far back in her saddle when her mule decided to eat from a bush that grew out over the canyon.

Paulette

• Love 1

On 03/09/2022 at 13:01, Allan Bell said:

Many thanks Marianne for taking all the time to reply in detail.  Hmm! I might be looking at some S/H Olys.  I see you have the older model OMD E1 if you were replacing it what model would you get now?

Allan

I don't know which I'd get now. The newer ones including the newer OMd 10s are supposed to be very good - better than what I have so I don't think you can go wrong. 

On 02/09/2022 at 13:58, Chuck Nacke said:

Wim,

Funny thing is that I had three rolls of RDP that I carried through a dozen airports in the U.S., Europe and SU, had all of them x-rayed.  One roll to process normal, one +1 and one +2 stops.  Had them all processed in San Francisco and tested by FUJI.  The X-rays at the airports made no difference.

Chuck

When I went through the airport in Stockholm in 2011, they took ages with my portable hard drive. I've never had an issue flying with a hard drive anywhere else. No arrests though, but I was afraid I'd miss my plane they took so long. 

21 hours ago, Michael Ventura said:

This is a kinda crappy scan of film from a mule ride I did on Molokai, Hawaii, down to the old leper colony called Kualapapa.  Paulette, I get it,  it is up there as one of the scariest things I have done. One of the mules stumbled, in our group, and I thought someone was a goner! Starting at 1,600 feet above sea level, it is just a series of switchbacks until you get down to eye level with the ocean surf.

usa-hawaii-molokai-mule-ride-to-kalaupap

OMG!  As you already know I hate heights even on stable platforms with high guard rails but this is another story.

Allan

10 hours ago, Marianne said:

I don't know which I'd get now. The newer ones including the newer OMd 10s are supposed to be very good - better than what I have so I don't think you can go wrong. 

Thank you Marianne.  I had a look mpb second hand equipment and it would cost £761  ($875) to buy the best offerings to match your outfit. The Oly camera you have is quoted as  £124 for the poorest sample to £224 for the best least used model. 

Allan

Edited by Allan Bell
  • Love 1