Leica’s new camera

Betty LaRue

You can look this up for pictures, I can see the young people loving it. I would admire it a bit with that ownership, but not for me. People would probably roll their eyes at this silvery-haired lady carrying it. If I were rich, I might like owning it just to sit it in a place of prominence to look at, though! :D 17mp.

Per POP Photo imagazine:

The special edition Leica D-Lux 7 “A BATHING APE® x STASH” is an exciting new collaboration which presents the ultimate embodiment of street fashion and lifestyle. The compact camera bears the signature of New York graffiti hero, STASH – also known as Josh Franklin, and streetwear brand, A BATHING APE® (BAPE®). Both the photographer and camera represent the feeling of life on the street, carrying the synonymous camouflage print of the streetwear brand, and the distinctive monkey head, out into the world.

Also.  https://www.inputmag.com/design/leica-bape-camo-camera-streetwear-stash-graffiti

Edited by Betty LaRue

Micro four thirds sensor. YUCK!

Sorry you people using the above sensor but I had and used an Olympus camera for a while with that sensor and it did not produce very good images. Probably a lot better now as a lot of time has passed since then.

Allan

RED Arrows, RED Arrows, RED Arrows,  NOT really appreciated thanks.🙏    Just my voicing my  experience.

ITMA

55 minutes ago, Allan Bell said:

Probably a lot better now

This is pretty impressive from the new digital Olympus OM1, Twitter but you can see it. They are very good for wildlife, Hummingbird Hawkmoth at 1/12,800 sec 

https://twitter.com/2peters/status/1564152090959777792

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Harry Harrison said:

This is pretty impressive from the new digital Olympus OM1, Twitter but you can see it. They are very good for wildlife, Hummingbird Hawkmoth at 1/12,800 sec 

https://twitter.com/2peters/status/1564152090959777792

Thanks for showing me that image Harry.  It is very impressive. M4/3 has come a long way.

Allan

2 hours ago, Allan Bell said:

Thanks for showing me that image Harry.  It is very impressive. M4/3 has come a long way.

Allan

Indeed. I've been using and submitting images from Lumix M4/3 cameras (G5, G7 and G100) for several years now without QC problems. Sure it's nothing like as good as modern APSC or FF but M4/3 gear is smaller and lighter and can produce images suitable for Alamy, so it works for me.

Mark

• Love 1

Love my micro 4/3rds Olympus. Can carry it & 3 lenses all day long so light. Never had a fail & many of my sales are from that camera. If I was only shooting stock it would still be my go-to. Perfect mix of quality & weight. Only downside not great in lowlight   Maybe newer models are better at night (I have the OMD E1 from 2014) interestingly at night I found jpegs were better than anything I could do with RAW some great shots of a fire & buildings lit up at night but blue hour after the sun sets always a disappointment. Traveling I’d  often carry the Oly all day & go back to the hotel & switch to my D700 & later my Sony @ night. Not much travel these days. 

I had looked @ Olys a few years earlier before a European trip in 2011 & decided the quality wasn’t yet up to snuff, so Alan you might be surprised by the newer ones though the sensor size may still limit them in low light. 

crazy money for a Leica given how prices have come down. And it looks like it’s a fixed lens.  You could get a used 16 MP Oly or Panasonic for a song with a variety of lenses. 

7 hours ago, John Mitchell said:

I'd say that it's a bit too conspicuous for street photography, but it would look good on Alamy's new homepage. 😃

Are cameras fashion statements now? 🙄

I think so, at least this one. That's why I said it could be popular with the young trendy set. I'm a tiny bit trendy, (clothes & shoes) but not that trendy.

• Love 1

OH NO!   Now GAS is kicking in.  Should I forgo the images I get from my Sony APSC cameras and change them for Oly's???

Arrgg!

Allan

16 hours ago, Betty LaRue said:

I think so, at least this one. That's why I said it could be popular with the young trendy set. I'm a tiny bit trendy, (clothes & shoes) but not that trendy.

I'm sure you're way trendier than I am. 👠

I suspect that most younger people have never even heard of Leica. Then there's the hefty price tag, which could be somewhat off-putting. Offering cameras as fashion accessories isn't new. I remember when Sony came out with their NEX cameras, they offered some in bright colours, including a "girly" pink model.

On 28/08/2022 at 15:00, Betty LaRue said:

You can look this up for pictures, I can see the young people loving it. I would admire it a bit with that ownership, but not for me. People would probably roll their eyes at this silvery-haired lady carrying it. If I were rich, I might like owning it just to sit it in a place of prominence to look at, though! :D 17mp.

Per POP Photo imagazine:

The special edition Leica D-Lux 7 “A BATHING APE® x STASH” is an exciting new collaboration which presents the ultimate embodiment of street fashion and lifestyle. The compact camera bears the signature of New York graffiti hero, STASH – also known as Josh Franklin, and streetwear brand, A BATHING APE® (BAPE®). Both the photographer and camera represent the feeling of life on the street, carrying the synonymous camouflage print of the streetwear brand, and the distinctive monkey head, out into the world.

Also.  https://www.inputmag.com/design/leica-bape-camo-camera-streetwear-stash-graffiti

LEICA is becoming "more SAD" every day.  They should stick with making the Highest Quality cameras and Optics that last for generations.  Oh Sorry, guess I am showing my age......

Chuck

• Love 1
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, Chuck Nacke said:

LEICA is becoming "more SAD" every day.  They should stick with making the Highest Quality cameras and Optics that last for generations.  Oh Sorry, guess I am showing my age......

Chuck

I wish I'd kept my IIIf with the Summitar.  But even that was a shelf-queen more than a using camera.   Beautiful, but a Nikon F3 could outshoot it.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Rebecca Ore said:

I wish I'd kept my IIIf with the Summitar.  But even that was a shelf-queen more than a using camera.   Beautiful, but a Nikon F3 could outshoot it.

Did someone mention the F3? After I switched to digital, the only camera I kept was the F3. I still love the way it feels in my hands. For sports photography, nothing could touch it.

Some of my best work (I think) was done with that camera.

Sorry to be a downer, but I hated the NIKON F3.  Hated everything about it.  My favorite NIKON was a 67 black F with a prism finder.

Was one of the few cameras you could take down in a coal mine in the Donbas.  My favorite SLR mechanical film camera was the original

CANON F-1 working with the old CANON MF FD lenses.

I really should get back to work....

Chuck

Edited by Chuck Nacke
clarification
  • Like 1

22 minutes ago, Chuck Nacke said:

Sorry to be a downer, but I hated the NIKON F3.  Hated everything about it.  My favorite NIKON was a 67 black F with a prism finder.

Was one of the few cameras you could take down in a coal mine in the Donbas.  My favorite mechanical film camera was the original

Chuck

No problem Chuck, to each his own.

4 hours ago, Rico said:

After I switched to digital, the only camera I kept was the F3.

I kept far too many of my old film cameras (35mm, 6x6, 6x7 and 4x5) and lenses after switching totally to digital, still have most tucked away in a chest of draws. I sometimes regret disposing of my Olympus OM1's and OM2 after moving to Canon T90's. I suspect many will eventually end up in Oxfam's window. 

Edited by sb photos

I regret getting rid of my collection of old and some newer collectable cameras Including Leica's. There were about 400 - 500 in the collection and were sold off when I downsized residences in 2004.

I still get the sweats when I think of what they would be worth today.

Allan

Back in 2004 it was easy to believe that film cameras would just be paperweights, it's quite encouraging to see the enthusiasm for film photography on social media and there are quite a few places that repair and service them, and companies springing up to produce film, though that is pretty expensive and currently in short supply, especially colour. I believe Leica is the only company still making a film camera, the Leica M-A, totally mechanical, not even a meter, and currently £4,310. That's certainly helped to keep up the value of film Leicas, especially the M6.

On 31/08/2022 at 02:59, Chuck Nacke said:

Was one of the few cameras you could take down in a coal mine in the Donbas.  My favorite SLR mechanical film camera was the original

Chuck

I hated the F3 too, Chuck. My fav Nikon was the F2 with the simpler prism. And I preferred the Leica M2 to the M3. Street shooters and serious PJs walked around with a couple of Nikon SLRs and a Leica M in early film days. We used the zone system with the Leica and focused the Nikon. I was both faster and more accurate with the SLR. That new camo Leica is a piece of nonsensical showbiz to be carried in those Hollywood jungles. 

Edited by Ed Rooney
  • Love 1

3 hours ago, Ed Rooney said:

I hated the F3 too, Chuck. My fav Nikon was the F2 with the simpler prism. And I preferred the Leica M2 to the M3. Street shooters and serious PJs walked around with a couple of Nikon SLRs and a Leica M in early film days. We used the zone system with the Leica and focused the Nikon. I was both faster and more accurate with the SLR. That new camo Leica is a piece of nonsensical showbiz to be carried in the LA jungle. 

I'm with you Ed (Edo?)  Hope you are well. 

I had a guy in California that would put a M2 viewfinder in a single stroke M3. 

The F2 was nice but heavy.

Rebecca,  I loved my Hassy ELM or X for doing portrait work.

Ah the film days, such happy memories of lugging around two SLR bodies, two M, rangefinders, a dozen fixed focus lenses

and an SLR body with a Polaroid back.  Not to leave out the Brick of 35 film rolls.

It still feels strange for me just to throw my Domke bag on the X-ray belt at the airport and not argue with anyone......

Chuck

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Chuck Nacke said:

<>

Ah the film days, such happy memories of lugging around two SLR bodies, two M, rangefinders, a dozen fixed focus lenses

and an SLR body with a Polaroid back.  Not to leave out the Brick of 35 film rolls.

It still feels strange for me just to throw my Domke bag on the X-ray belt at the airport and not argue with anyone......

Chuck

Haha! Yes I did hold up a couple of planes in the days.

Then you're the last one in and they're rushing to close the door after you and the whole plane looks at you with eyes full of hatred. 😂

Don't you miss those years? Mwah. Maybe not. 😁

wim