Feedback please

Angel57

1 minute ago, Angel57 said:

Hi ColdCoffee, thank you for taking the time to check out my photos! I appreciate your comments. Hummingbirds are one of my fave subjects. I certainly tend to produce flat images. Do you mind giving an example of one from my portfolio? I certainly want to improve on that. I thought, however, that  Alamy likes un-sharpened and more natural looking images, no? 

Thanks!

Angel

PS You have many wonderful images in your port. I especially like those in Venice and DC!

If you are using Photoshop or Lightroom, the judicious use of the white balance eyedropper will clear up some of your flat images. I noticed some that have what I call muddy skies. Put the eyedropper on something in the image that’s supposed to be true white, or neutral gray or black, if you have it in the image. It’s rather amazing what it can do. If you get an undesirable result, you can get rid of it or click somewhere else and see if a new sampling works.
The reason I say this is back when I started, I had a lot of muddy skies until I figured out what to do. Use the white balance tool on all images that have one of the three, white/black/grey in them.

What I mean by muddy skies is skies that look dull and slightly off-color.

• Love 1

3 hours ago, Betty LaRue said:

If you are using Photoshop or Lightroom, the judicious use of the white balance eyedropper will clear up some of your flat images. I noticed some that have what I call muddy skies. Put the eyedropper on something in the image that’s supposed to be true white, or neutral gray or black, if you have it in the image. It’s rather amazing what it can do. If you get an undesirable result, you can get rid of it or click somewhere else and see if a new sampling works.
The reason I say this is back when I started, I had a lot of muddy skies until I figured out what to do. Use the white balance tool on all images that have one of the three, white/black/grey in them.

What I mean by muddy skies is skies that look dull and slightly off-color.

Thank you so much, Betty, for suggesting the eyedropper tool. I tried it already and I can see the improvement. No more muddy skies!

Thanks for your support.

Regards,

Angel

• Love 2
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, Angel57 said:

Thank you so much, Betty, for suggesting the eyedropper tool. I tried it already and I can see the improvement. No more muddy skies!

Thanks for your support.

Regards,

Angel

Depending on whether you are inclined to do the work involved, you could think about reprocessing the dull images you can improve with the white balance tool and delete the old ones after the new are accepted. Reprocessed ones might be more likely to be licensed. Or on a smaller scale, just pick out your favorites, and reprocess those.

12 hours ago, Angel57 said:

Thanks for your support.

Regards,

Angel

Thanks! Could you point out a couple of specific examples of images that would benefit by adjusting the white balance. Thanks!

1 hour ago, Angel57 said:

Thanks! Could you point out a couple of specific examples of images that would benefit by adjusting the white balance. Thanks!

I don't see any particular white balance problems myself. I have a LR import preset with some clarity, vibrance and saturation boost. After that I find judicious use of Auto Tone can help, though it tends to over-expose.

• Thanks 1

Here are some examples ...

2JR2M8X - Good exposure on the top, but too dark at the bottom
2JCTKDF - Great light
2JCTKF4 - The Focal point is in the shade
2JK7A58 - This photo looks very flat to me. I would increase the highlights in the building and landscape
2J4F8KP - Love this photo
2JB3M3N - Seems like this photo was exposed for the sky, but it made the building too dark and flat
2J4F6TN - Underexposed and muddy
2HN22K5 - Love this photo
2HE4XKM - Underexposed

Glad you liked my Venice and DC photos :)

• Thanks 1