How is your August so far?

On 13/08/2022 at 12:00, Cryptoprocta said:

Theme parks don't usually allow you to use photos as stock.

I'm guessing (but may be wrong) that you mean this Playland:

https://www.pne.ca/playland-full-open/guest-services/conduct-courtesy

which says:

"Photography – Cameras and/or video cameras are not permitted on rides. Playland requires that all photographs or videos taken by guests be used for their personal enjoyment ONLY. Any use, reuse or reproduction for commercial purposes without the express written consent of Playland at the PNE is prohibited. While at The Fair, guests may be photographed or videotaped for future promotional efforts by the PNE."

Caveat vendor: there may (or may not) already be photos of Playland already in Alamy. Unlike some other agencies, Alamy doesn't reject images on content, and the supplier bears all responsibility. You may end up out more than the price of your entry ticket.

Or you might be able to negotiate consent, but don't hold your breath, and for sure don't pay more for consent than you're likely to earn.

In particular, be extremely wary of them reading on Alamy "The average image license fee on Alamy is $30" then insisting that they want $15 share per sale. In the first place, that $30 is gross, not your share (whic h would be a maximum of $12 for almost everyone). Secondly, that alleged $30 average gross includes Live News sales, which historically have sold for much more, but now even these prices are falling. Most (but not all) of us who do not supply Live News are averaging much less than $30 gross.

thanks for the information

Rose,

Is stock photography worth the time, effort and investment?

I spent decades working on assignment for national and international magazines.  I also worked with a number of the major, at the time, news photo agencies around the world.

I also did a large amount of photography for major corporations.  After many exhausting years where I spent over 200 nights per year in hotels, airplanes, the back of vehicles or the ground.  I retired and raised two daughters.  Alamy is a way for me to make a small income from the licensing of the images that I've made over the years and as has been written "Alamy is the best option in the current market."  I am not a very good "Stock Photographer" in my opinion and judging from the images of mine that Alamy has licensed, my opinion appears to be correct.  Most of the images of mine that Alamy licenses every month are either large iconic events during the last thirty years or people who are constantly in the news, many of which are no longer with us.

I certainly would not encourage any young person to pursue a life in photography, but I would also not discourage them either as long as they understood what it takes. I started making images for a small daily newspaper when I was 14 and went on to get a journalism degree at the university.

I've really never taken pictures just to "Take a Picture" every time I put a camera to my eye the only thing I think about is how can I make an image that someone will publish.

Also think about captions, information.  I spend a lot of time trying to get information on location and even more time researching the location, person or event while writing the caption information.

Chuck

• Love 3
  • Like 3

On 16/08/2022 at 04:29, Chuck Nacke said:

Rose,

Is stock photography worth the time, effort and investment?

...... but I would also not discourage them either as long as they understood what it takes.......

I would also still recommend stock photography to young people, as long as they can appreciate that they're in for the long haul and shouldn't expect to see immediate results. My situation is the polar opposite to Chuck's, in that I spent decades taking images of the things that interested me at the time and only in the last few years have I worked on them to make them available for licencing. My August so far: 48 for $414 gross. I'm not a huge TV watcher, so whilst the wife chooses what to watch of an evening I'll work on adding a dozen or so images to my portfolio from either old files or recent images taken whilst out and about, and that's what I'd suggest to any newbie. Don't invest huge amounts of time which could be better spent on whatever career path you might be looking at, but do consider stock as worthwhile of any spare time thereafter. Starting young gives the opportunity of building a sizeable portfolio in later life, and although the future of stock photography might be questionable getting the subject matter preserved in time and available can fill a requirement that someone, somewhere, might have a need and is willing to pay. Much of what sells is just your everyday life so doesn't require travel or expense, so look to record your local transport networks, shopping malls etc, and people going about their everyday business as a starting line, and also news. 'News' doesn't have to be your headline 'hold the front page' news, but can be anything to illustrate trends such as the price displayed on your local garage forecourt when the prices are rising, etc. By being involved you'll start to learn what editors are looking for and can then get in front of the curve.

It's also fun doing something you enjoy, with an eye to making extra cash.

Edited by Avpics
  • Love 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Like 4

48 minutes ago, Avpics said:

I would also still recommend stock photography to young people, as long as they can appreciate that they're in for the long haul and shouldn't expect to see immediate results. My situation is the polar opposite to Chuck's, in that I spent decades taking images of the things that interested me at the time and only in the last few years have I worked on them to make them available for licencing. My August so far: 48 for $414 gross. I'm not a huge TV watcher, so whilst the wife chooses what to watch of an evening I'll work on adding a dozen or so images to my portfolio from either old files or recent images taken whilst out and about, and that's what I'd suggest to any newbie. Don't invest huge amounts of time which could be better spent on whatever career path you might be looking at, but do consider stock as worthwhile of any spare time thereafter. Starting young gives the opportunity of building a sizeable portfolio in later life, and although the future of stock photography might be questionable getting the subject matter preserved in time and available can fill a requirement that someone, somewhere, might have a need and is willing to pay. Much of what sells is just your everyday life so doesn't require travel or expense, so look to record your local transport networks, shopping malls etc, and people going about their everyday business as a starting line, and also news. 'News' doesn't have to be your headline 'hold the front page' news, but can be anything to illustrate trends such as the price displayed on your local garage forecourt when the prices are rising, etc. By being involved you'll start to learn what editors are looking for and can then get in front of the curve.

I will add that @rose22 seemed to be under some misconception on the producing images that "you need money".  Once you have gear, you can produce images in certain niche at very little cost beyond your time.  I just looked at my sales over last 3 months, and 2 i had to pay transit to get to, and one was on a bus stop-over as part of normal daily life,  all other ones were images i got on walk or bike around (yes I walk a lot) .  Not one did I pay admission fee to get into a place.  

Rose, have a look at the What sold post on this forum, check what books, magazines, media use as images.  

Added: I looked further, over the last 12 months every licence over $25 was taken with $0 additional cost other than time.  I might have to review money i have spent to do other images. Time to go take advantage of my next to last Free Transit Friday of the summer 🙂 

Edited by meanderingemu
  • Love 1

The good, the bad and the ugly!

The good: Good numbers of sales, and CTR better than average

The bad: Substantially fewer views per month than in previous times

The Ugly: Average gross ale value very poor

Kumar

Happy Birthday Allan! 🎂🥳🎈

3 sales today - high $ to low $$ - of course the $$ is a distro sale. Enough to treat a friend to coffee and leave a tip - if you were in NY Allan, I'd take you out for your birthday. 

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Avpics said:

Exactly. I never thought about making money when I got interested in photography many moons ago (I'm 73). It was something that I enjoyed learning about and doing. I probably wouldn't have bothered getting into stock photography had I not needed some of that elusive "extra cash." However, everyone's story is different. I never set out to be a professional photographer. My background is mainly in education. I've also done a fair amount of freelance writing, which I combined with photography. One of the nice things about Alamy is that it remains a big tent, even though the "extra cash" part ain't what it used to be. 🥲

Edited by John Mitchell
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, Allan Bell said:

I thought Alamy could have slipped a decent sale in for my birthday, but it is not to be.😵

Allan

Many more to come I trust, both sales and birthdays !

• Thanks 1