Sony RX10 Pt. 2: Problems

I thought I would add some thoughts about modern equipment manuals.

Back in 1974 I was given an assignment from the New York advertising agency that handled the Nikon account. I was to interview 17 famous Nikon photographers who had had their work featured in Nikon magazine ads. The agency decided that they wanted to hire me, at least temporarily, so they could get more use out of me while they were waiting for Nikon's approval of each state of the project to move forward. So while I were waiting around (and being paid weekly) the agency gave me a few smaller jobs to do . . . and two of these jobs were writing manuals.

http://www.amazon.com/Nikon-Image-Contemporary-Photographic-Photographers/dp/B000R0E7UC/ref=sr_1_36?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1387119494&sr=1-36&keywords=The+Nikon+Image+Book

Ed, I suspected you were a substantial fellow. Now I'm sure of it.

That book weighs more than 2lbs.

I'm sure I'd never buy kit without DK's say-so. But I'd listen to you as well.

. Without David K's help, I don't think I'd have been able to find this. It's not in my manual. 

Coming from Canon to Sony, the Sony manuals are very poor in comparison. Further, I have seen expanded explanations of a camera's features on the Canon web site, but I have not see anything similar from Sony.

If there is such a thing I would certainly like to know about it.

This could be something inherited from Minolta (or Konica/Minolta), who sold out to Sony a number of years ago. I happily used Minolta equipment for years, but their user manuals were very skimpy and awkwardly worded. I see other parallels as well between the two companies. Minolta was one of the most innovative camera manufacturers around IMO, but they were not especially good at connecting with professional photographers. They seemed to feel more comfortable catering to the "consumer" market. Sony seems to be following in those footsteps.

I thought I would add some thoughts about modern equipment manuals.

Back in 1974 I was given an assignment from the New York advertising agency that handled the Nikon account. I was to interview 17 famous Nikon photographers who had had their work featured in Nikon magazine ads. The agency decided that they wanted to hire me, at least temporarily, so they could get more use out of me while they were waiting for Nikon's approval of each state of the project to move forward. So while I were waiting around (and being paid weekly) the agency gave me a few smaller jobs to do . . . and two of these jobs were writing manuals.

http://www.amazon.com/Nikon-Image-Contemporary-Photographic-Photographers/dp/B000R0E7UC/ref=sr_1_36?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1387119494&sr=1-36&keywords=The+Nikon+Image+Book

Ed, I suspected you were a substantial fellow. Now I'm sure of it.

That book weighs more than 2lbs.

I'm sure I'd never buy kit without DK's say-so. But I'd listen to you as well.

Listen if you will, Mark. But stay away from the edge of the cliff.  I'm not sure I know my way in this digital world. 

You are absolutely right about manuals.

For my more recent Sony kit I have purchased e-manuals from Gary Friedman, which I find very good. Searchable pdf format, so much quicker to find the information.

http://www.friedmanarchives.com/ebooks/index.htm

Christine

Looks good, thanks for posting.

You are absolutely right about manuals.

For my more recent Sony kit I have purchased e-manuals from Gary Friedman, which I find very good. Searchable pdf format, so much quicker to find the information.

http://www.friedmanarchives.com/ebooks/index.htm

Christine

Looks good, thanks for posting.

Yes, thanks, Christine. I've been hoping some third-party manuals would come along.

The problem with being an early user is we buy before anyone can do a helpful manual. I once bought a manual for my Kindle . . . impossible to use. I do want to try getting one on my iPad, where I will get color and charts and illustrations.

Thanks. Christine.

I finally sold my Fuji X Pro 1 and 18-55mm lens.

I am still on the fence if I want to sell the Sony RX100M2 for the RX10.

I love the pocketability of the RX100M2 and the 1.8 aperture and weight.

Also under consideration might be the Sony A7.

But seeing it's too cold out to enjoy shooting no matter what camera is in my frozen digits,I will possibly hold of until right awround spring.

I am really getting spoiled by the quality of full frame.

I wish Canon had a similar full frame body to the A7 or Nikon Df.

L

Linda,

I added a small, very light 1.7x converter to the RX100 for a bit more reach.

No light loss like converters between a lens and a body.

Here is one. (It does need a filter holder in front of the RX100, like this.)

The whole thing is still way smaller and lighter than the RX10. Opening is 4.9 though: it's only usable at max zoom because of the small rear lens.

Weight 95g - 3 3/8 oz with caps.

wim

I managed to fire off a few frames last evening using the hand-held Twilight SCENE mode on my new RX10.  I can't even pretend to understand how this technology works . . . but it does work.  Amazing! When I first looked at the images as RAW files in LR5.3  I thought the sharpness was questionable.  (As it turns out the RX10 does not work with RAW on this mode, so they were jpegs.) I moved forward with my PP and opened the images as tiffs in CS5.  The tiffs looked sharper, good enough to upload to Alamy . . . the one frame captured in my supermarket looked very good.  When I converted to jpegs the images were sharp. 

We have another snow fall here today, but it's light and more of a pain than an interesting subject. It's frustrating to not be able to do more shooting now, to test some of those other SCENE modes. 

PDF Manual for Sony RX10

DPreview.com has a post by edform:

http://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/52726789

where he has posted a manual for the Sony RX10.
It's still in progress though,but it's a start if you wanted to quickly check settings on your smartphone if you are on location

http://www.theformsonline.com/RX10/DSC-RX10-Manual.pdf

Here is an interesting review from a fashion/wedding photog that uses the Nikon D800 and loves his Sony RX10:

http://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/52716273

L

Archived