Is it okay to uses an image program such as Photoshop to enhance a picture to be submitted

BostonGuy

Question

Am a new contributor so wanted to ask if it's okay to make changes to a picture using an image program then submit this picture?

Appreciate feedback from the community.

Thanks,

Eric

16 answers to this question

Most of us edit raw files using an image programme, yes. Alamy say they want natural looking images, and for the most part, this is what you see published. However, Alamy sometimes highlights contributors who create more artistic/manipulated images (perhaps just to showcase something a bit different).

17 hours ago, BostonGuy said:

Am a new contributor so wanted to ask if it's okay to make changes to a picture using an image program then submit this picture?

Thanks,

Eric

Yes, so long as the final image stays within the rules required for submission to Alamy, (in focus where it should be in focus, no dust-bugs or other similar abnormalities, and no forbidden subjects)

Kumar

the other thing i would add, depending what you mean by making changes,  is that you need to own the copyright of all components used.  So if you are doing changes like sky replacement it probably is better if you use one of your skies in the process. 

also if you are making changes that alter the subject materially you might want to make sure clients are aware, either in caption or at minimum in "additional info". 

Edited by meanderingemu

21 hours ago, BostonGuy said:

Thanks,

Eric

Eric, as far as adding textures or some other artistic things to your images, they don’t do well here, for the most part. I added a bunch of those a few years ago, and never got a zoom. When Alamy began the Presentation and duh, the other one, (it’s h**l to get old) Oh, yeah, PU, I took them off because I didn’t want them sold for $20 or less. They are all on POD and doing well.

Edited by Betty LaRue

On 26/05/2022 at 23:53, Betty LaRue said:

Eric, as far as adding textures or some other artistic things to your images, they don’t do well here, for the most part. I added a bunch of those a few years ago, and never got a zoom. When Alamy began the Presentation and duh, the other one, (it’s h**l to get old) Oh, yeah, PU, I took them off because I didn’t want them sold for $20 or less. They are all on POD and doing well.

I just looked and your arty images are lovely, Betty!

• Love 1

Actually you HAVE to use some software to work on the photo. If you do not remove dust spots or straighten the image, the whole ulpoad will get rejected. Every conversation from RAW to JPEG already is a manipulation of the photo. The white balance is applied for example. Even chosing auto white balance already is a choice.

On 26/05/2022 at 18:53, Betty LaRue said:

Hi Betty,  Are you using POD as a generic term or is there a particular website you're referring to?  Mind sharing the name?

I have a small collection on FAA and have sold a few, but I've mostly just put up editorial stock photos, slightly enhanced if at all--and am starting to increase my efforts in that area.  

Thanks for your help.  I've followed you since I joined Alamy.  

Michael

Edited by MilesbeforeIsleep

On 13/06/2022 at 15:22, MilesbeforeIsleep said:

Hi Betty,  Are you using POD as a generic term or is there a particular website you're referring to?  Mind sharing the name?

I have a small collection on FAA and have sold a few, but I've mostly just put up editorial stock photos, slightly enhanced if at all--and am starting to increase my efforts in that area.  

Thanks for your help.  I've followed you since I joined Alamy.  

Michael

Michael, It is FFA.  Almost all of mine have some manipulation, textures, painting process, etc. even combining 2 or more images to get what I want. They are fun to do, but one must spend time trying techniques, starting all over before finding the particular process, texture or whatever that fits your vision.

Edited by Betty LaRue
  • Love 2

19 hours ago, Betty LaRue said:

Michael, It is FFA.  Almost all of mine have some manipulation, textures, painting process, etc. even combining 2 or more images to get what I want. They are fun to do, but one must spend time trying techniques, starting all over before finding the particular process, texture or whatever that fits your vision.

Thanks, Betty.  As NYCat suggests, I'll look (hard) at your FAA catalog.  

Eric, others here in the Alamy Forum are kinder and more outreaching than me. Normally, I don't talk to people who have no portfolio.

However, since you are in Boston and I am a lifelong Yankee fan (see hat), I will tell you what I do.

There are two basic groups of images submitted to Alamy -- stock, mostly editorial, and Live News. I don't shoot Live News. If I did, I would shoot high-quality jpegs and do no editing. I see editorial stock as illustrations for a story or concept. For stock, I shoot RAW and do a full edit moving from LightRoom Classic to PhotoShop. Most of the time, I want these images to have some punch, good contrast and saturation, and bright. I have a 5-star acceptance rating for my submissions.

Good luck . . . but the Yankees are going to win the pennant this year.

Edo

• Like 1