When should we report cases for potential infringement under new Alamy Focus.

1 hour ago, Jansos said:

I found an infringement recently, from 2017, reported it to Alamy and within 4 weeks had received a payment. Just a tiddler in terms of $ but the process was quick and efficient. No complaints.

do i understand you were paid 2022 licence fee for a 2017 usage? that was my experience for 14 months delay, but 5 years??? 

• Love 1

Thanks geogphotos and wim. I was hoping that I could copy and paste the image ID somewhere and then see how many times that image had sold and the details of the sale so that I could right click on the image and do a Google image search (as we can do with existing thumbnails/ sales). When I get a sale I tend to go through this process just to see if the image has popped up elsewhere. Surprising how many times they get used illegally on sites that you know Alamy will have no heck of a chance of getting any reimbursement from.

1 minute ago, meanderingemu said:

do i understand you were paid 2022 licence fee for a 2017 usage? that was my experience for 14 months delay, but 5 years??? 

Yup. Small sale so not so worried.

• Thanks 1

On 02/05/2022 at 17:53, Jansos said:

Thanks geogphotos and wim. I was hoping that I could copy and paste the image ID somewhere and then see how many times that image had sold and the details of the sale so that I could right click on the image and do a Google image search (as we can do with existing thumbnails/ sales). When I get a sale I tend to go through this process just to see if the image has popped up elsewhere. Surprising how many times they get used illegally on sites that you know Alamy will have no heck of a chance of getting any reimbursement from.

Try going to your Sales history. Go back to when you signed up. Now let it display up to 100 sales. (Set the page to 100 images.) Make a note of the last date. Copy all sales including the thumbnails: Put your cursor in the upper left corner under the grey bar and while holding the Control key, move down to the last cell in the Amount column on the lower right hand corner.

(Just holding Control and clicking left of the grey bar will get you the same selection, but with the bar included.)

Copy.

Now open a blank spreadsheet and paste.

Repeat until you reach today.

Previously this distorted the thumbnails, but somehow since a while they keep their image ratios.

This spreadsheet does what you want.

I seem to remember there used to be a download button to get this, but certainly no more.

You will need a bigger image as an input for an image search.

There are many ways to display and search your complete portfolio.

For looking up images on the web I prefer Search by Image .

From this topic 3 weeks ago:

For Chrome, Firefox, Opera, Edge and Safari there's Search by Image.

- [It] makes effortless reverse image searches possible, and comes with support for more than 30 search engines.

A bit down that page there are buttons to take you to the download pages for the respective browsers.

I use it with Google, Bing, Yandex, Baidu and Tineye.

Especially Yandex is brilliant for finding (nicked) copies of published images.

However Yandex is Russian. Albeit that the people that run Yandex are fleeing the country and that Yandex is in fact a Dutch company and at one point was hosted on Dutch servers. And maybe still is, however the main servers seem to be in Finland. They have an Israeli branch as well.

wim

edit: the spreadsheet works, but will probably break up sales details in many cells.

If you don't need the images, the Net revenue sales report will do. It allows setting back the date as far as you want. And it's a lot quicker.

Now if only I had a way to attach the images automatically.

Edited by wiskerke
  • Love 1
  • Thanks 2

14 hours ago, wiskerke said:

Try going to your Sales history. Go back to when you signed up. Now let it display up to 100 sales. (Set the page to 100 images.) Make a note of the last date. Copy all sales including the thumbnails: Put your cursor in the upper left corner under the grey bar and while holding the Control key, move down to the last cell in the Amount column on the lower right hand corner.

(Just holding Control and clicking left of the grey bar will get you the same selection, but with the bar included.)

Copy.

Previously this distorted the thumbnails, but somehow since a while they keep their image ratios.

I seem to remember there used to be a download button to get this, but certainly no more.

Wim,

I've always downloaded the sales report and imported into Excel, but of course, that has no thumbnails.

So I tried your method (above) but the image thumbnails don't appear in the my spreadsheet.

What Spreadsheet, Browser and OS are you using?

Mark

Edited by M.Chapman

3 hours ago, M.Chapman said:

Wim,

I've always downloaded the sales report and imported into Excel, but of course, that has no thumbnails.

So I tried your method (above) but the image thumbnails don't appear in the my spreadsheet.

What Spreadsheet, Browser and OS are you using?

Mark

Yes so did I. I had experimented with the Sales History (previously Summary of sales) but found it cumbersome and as I said the thumbnails would be distorted.

Excel; Firefox and Windows 10.

Are you sure you selected the thumbnail column?

wim

2 hours ago, wiskerke said:

Yes so did I. I had experimented with the Sales History (previously Summary of sales) but found it cumbersome and as I said the thumbnails would be distorted.

Excel; Firefox and Windows 10.

Are you sure you selected the thumbnail column?

wim

Thanks - Yes thumbnail column is selected. It's perhaps something to do with my multi-OS system and the clipboard not fully transferring, or one of the other differences. I'll do some investigating.

OS - Mac Monterey

Browser - Brave 1.38.109 (Based on Chromium) - running under Mac OS

Excel 2010 - Running in a Windows 7 VM

Mark

1 hour ago, M.Chapman said:

Thanks - Yes thumbnail column is selected. It's perhaps something to do with my multi-OS system and the clipboard not fully transferring, or one of the other differences. I'll do some investigating.

OS - Mac Monterey

Browser - Brave 1.38.109 (Based on Chromium) - running under Mac OS

Excel 2010 - Running in a Windows 7 VM

Mark

Looks like the setup my father in law ran. He was an OS2 beta tester. He ran 2 versions of that plus at least one Linux and grudgingly a Windows system. Which would have been fine, but he insisted to have it all on both his machines. He may have kept a pure Dos machine as well. Just in case.

It gave him lot's of joie de vivre, until it didn't.

My Excel is a 365. That may have solved the distortion thing. I never look at the Version notes.

I'll check my other browsers later. If I don't fall asleep in front of the news.

wim

2 hours ago, wiskerke said:

Looks like the setup my father in law ran. He was an OS2 beta tester. He ran 2 versions of that plus at least one Linux and grudgingly a Windows system. Which would have been fine, but he insisted to have it all on both his machines. He may have kept a pure Dos machine as well. Just in case.

It gave him lot's of joie de vivre, until it didn't.

My Excel is a 365. That may have solved the distortion thing. I never look at the Version notes.

I'll check my other browsers later. If I don't fall asleep in front of the news.

Mmm... I've got DOS, Psion Organiser (Symbian EPOC), Linux, Windows XP, 7 and 11 Virtual Machines all on the same Mac and can hop between all of them

Anyway, I tried using the Edge browser in Windows 11 and copied the sales report and pasted into Excel 2010 (also in opened Windows 11) and now the thumbnails appear, but the result is a real mess with cell sizes and thumbnails all over the place. I suspect that Excel 2010 is a bit behind the times when doing this, but I don't want to try Office 365. So I think I'll give up at this point and stick with the Excel 2010 sales spreadsheet I already have where I just add a verbal description of each image sold in an extra column - which keeps things small and simple. I suppose if I really wanted I could auto-fill this column with the image caption by using a lookup function on the Alamy meta data spreadsheet, but again I'm not sure it's worth the effort.

Copytrack have a useful reverse image search.

Mark

Edited by M.Chapman

On 01/04/2022 at 11:33, Alamy said:

Hi all,

Just jumping in to hopefully provide some clarity - our Infringements Team focus on two areas of revenue for the images that are marked as exclusive to Alamy:

The first strand is to proactively look for infringements using one of the multiple copyright protection agencies that Alamy has now partnered with.  Our partners use their proprietary software to crawl allocated territories to find infringements which is bringing in increasing revenue month on month and we see this becoming a major source of revenue for exclusive images.

The second strand is the reactive infringements, these are the unauthorised uses of your images that you find, and then report to us to investigate.  This process is now being managed by the Infringements Team, and we will soon be sharing more information with you on the new process, including having a dedicated email address to report infringements to.

Thanks
Alamy

Hi any news on when the new process will be put in place?  I currently have a couple suspected infringements, however since they do not meet Unauthorised Use Form requirements i am not able to report them.

Thanks. 

On 02/05/2022 at 22:24, wiskerke said:

Copy.

You will need a bigger image as an input for an image search.

There are many ways to display and search your complete portfolio.

For looking up images on the web I prefer Search by Image .

From this topic 3 weeks ago:

For Chrome, Firefox, Opera, Edge and Safari there's Search by Image.

- [It] makes effortless reverse image searches possible, and comes with support for more than 30 search engines.

A bit down that page there are buttons to take you to the download pages for the respective browsers.

I use it with Google, Bing, Yandex, Baidu and Tineye.

Especially Yandex is brilliant for finding (nicked) copies of published images.

However Yandex is Russian. Albeit that the people that run Yandex are fleeing the country and that Yandex is in fact a Dutch company and at one point was hosted on Dutch servers. And maybe still is, however the main servers seem to be in Finland. They have an Israeli branch as well.

wim

edit: the spreadsheet works, but will probably break up sales details in many cells.

If you don't need the images, the Net revenue sales report will do. It allows setting back the date as far as you want. And it's a lot quicker.

Now if only I had a way to attach the images automatically.

Hi Wim, That's really very helpful. Thanks a bunch. Pints on me if you are ever in London!

• Love 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Celluloid Hero said:

Last month, reported under Other Income Alamy credited my account for an infringement fee for an image that I didn't know was 'infringed'.  Have to say Kudos to Alamy in this case.

though the whole process has proven a success for additional revenue, and I also give major credit to Alamy for it's implementation, there does seem to be another example of non respect of the Agreement.  Considering the time it takes to contact infringer, receive payment, process on system (only month end) not sure Alamy respected the obligation (16.7) of "promptly informing the other party of any actual or suspected third party infringement of copyright"

Again i hope the new formalised process will also address this. 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 01/04/2022 at 11:33, Alamy said:

Hi all,

The second strand is the reactive infringements, these are the unauthorised uses of your images that you find, and then report to us to investigate.  This process is now being managed by the Infringements Team, and we will soon be sharing more information with you on the new process, including having a dedicated email address to report infringements to.

Thanks
Alamy

I will follow up again on this promise as i found out that one of my reported UUQ first going to Contributor Support lead to the Infringement team not being informed of the Infringement and the Client being allowed to report a 15 month old usage as a normal sale, so what the Infringement team is told that the client "declared the use before it came in as a UUQ ", which is not what happened. 

The impact was low, the client as a special rate for infringement (sic!), but this is still worrisome, especially if it was on a more significant case. 

• 1 month later...
1 hour ago, zxzoomy said:

I just reported a photo of mine, used on a Canadian website, complete with Alamy watermarks, my caption and the image code. Thank you to them for making it easy to find. 

those are the easy one.  My first successful case, they even gave me credit.   

9 hours ago, zxzoomy said:

I just reported a photo of mine, used on a Canadian website, complete with Alamy watermarks, my caption and the image code. Thank you to them for making it easy to find. 

Yours may not be like this, just posting for general information sharing with the forum. 

I come across a lot like this which are hotlinked to Alamy and other legitimate image uses - so not actually copyright infringements.

Check by right clicking the image to access the image address.

Edited by geogphotos
  • Love 1
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, geogphotos said:

Yours may not be like this, just posting for general information sharing with the forum. 

I come across a lot like this which are hotlinked to Alamy and other legitimate image uses - so not actually copyright infringements.

Check by right clicking the image to access the image address.

In my case the website seems to have uploaded it. With Alamy watermarks this seems cheeky to me.  But is hotlinking to Alamy images legitimate?

1 hour ago, zxzoomy said:

In my case the website seems to have uploaded it. With Alamy watermarks this seems cheeky to me.  But is hotlinking to Alamy images legitimate?

Not illegal just very annoying and very widespread. 

The best thing is to be sure that the website URL and and image URL are on the dame domain name

I0000RuJzK.ZFWow.jpg

Edited by geogphotos

On 08/08/2022 at 09:43, geogphotos said:

Not illegal just very annoying and very widespread. 

The best thing is to be sure that the website URL and and image URL are on the dame domain name

I0000RuJzK.ZFWow.jpg

It's an infringement in the EU and UK, at least, but good luck getting anything done.

Pixsy is pursuing one of these for me, in France.

Edited by spacecadet
  • Like 1

23 hours ago, spacecadet said:

It's an infringement in the EU and UK, at least, but good luck getting anything done.

I think Pixsy is pursuing one of these for me, in France. But it might be a lift from a legit licence- can't check atm as Pixsy login is down🙁

The log-in has been fixed by I am finding the Pixsy site close to unworkable. Takes ages for each page to refresh and sometimes doesn't happen at all. Try to submit a Case and get an error message each time.  

• Thanks 1