Captions are provided by our contributors.

18 hours ago, Robert M Estall said:

there are those who are determined to turn that bar green

And all they had to do was read 50 million posts asking about it on this forum...

Alan

43 minutes ago, geogphotos said:

The statement is accurate but it provides zero reassurance that the captions are accurate or that Alamy has any system to check on them. 

We are all bound to make accidental mistakes but there is no straightforward way of informing each other. A forum Private Message option would be something. Or an online means to 'Like/Unlike' captions to flag up problems for scrutiny by Alamy staff.

The other thing is that some of the newer 'community' suppliers are much worse than most diligent individual contributors. 

And as mentioned above the PD scrapers are just taking the Mickey. 

So, this is a true statement but it raises many questions. 

It also removes PA/Alamy responsibility of validating when one of their contributor uses caption as fakenews/propaganda, not that i can think of anytime when this would have happened.

On 24/03/2022 at 07:26, Avpics said:

I sometimes search serial numbers of aircraft - letters and numbers -  to see whether it's worth uploading my images of same and they'll sometimes return images with captions that are total gobbledegook. Example 2CRYC4N, and that contributor's million plus images many in foreign languages.

That's putting it mildly; a random selection from those million-plus images all had nonsense captions, so they are literally a waste of space.  I certainly find it worthwhile to double-check anything remotely technical, scientific, historical, etc, etc... aircraft and shipping registrations are good examples.  As a beginning travel writer, I had to ride out a couple of instances where readers seized on rather arcane inaccuracies (was a certain obscure Asian airport a grass or a paved landing strip? It could only matter to pilots).

In a similar vein are the hundreds of contrived 'concept' images purporting to display the flags and crests of obscure island nations (Nauru, Niue, Tuvalu, etc, etc). Anyone searching Alamy for serviceable images of those places has to wade through page after page of this dross. 

• Thanks 2
  • Like 2

On 23/03/2022 at 15:10, Robert M Estall said:

but there are those who are determined to turn that bar green

I'm surprised that out of my 3500 images 170 are 'optimised' green. Sometimes I struggle to add 10 relevant tags.

• Like 2

23 hours ago, Philip Game said:

In a similar vein are the hundreds of contrived 'concept' images purporting to display the flags and crests of obscure island nations (Nauru, Niue, Tuvalu, etc, etc). Anyone searching Alamy for serviceable images of those places has to wade through page after page of this dross. 

Some people seem to do multiple variations of country and regions within country's maps.  I'm never quite sure why when I google a place as free versions of maps are easy to get through Wikipedia and such.  Do they license?  One contributor seems to have generated  around 126,000 of these; another over 22,000 map/flag images, another over 8,000 photos of waving flags. 

Also Segovia, Spain, is not Nueva Segovia, Nicaragua, but that's probably the fault of Alamy's search algorithms.  Oh, well.  One of the departments in Nicaragua that I haven't been to yet. 

P&O had two ships effectively impounded because the cheap agency staff they took on were not up to speed. Similarly, Alamy are getting a huge quantity of images with garbage captions because they are effectively dumping the contributors who take time over the captions. The return just isn't worth making the effort.

• Like 2