2021 Apple MacBook Pro 16"

geogphotos

Question

2021 Apple MacBook Pro 16", M1 Pro Processor, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD,

Anybody using this for stock either/or home/away?

Pros and cons please

This one from Jon Lewis comes with 1TB memory and gives no other option - I'd probably be happy with 500Gb.

It does include 2 years guarantee.

Edited by geogphotos

I have a 2017 27 inch desktop Mac with 64Gb of RAM.

The laptop is mainly for travelling and also as a second computer. 

I'd like its useful lifespan to be in place to ensure continuity if and when the desktop dies or needs to be replaced. 

End of tax year planning. 

Also planned is to very much increase time spent away from home trawling new images and to be able to process and upload on the hoof.

Edited by geogphotos

Just another thought which may or may not be welcome or may even be too late. If you are travelling without a car, the 16" might be a bit of a monster. Given your low demands in terms of computing power and general usage, the 14 and 16" computers are probably overkill. You might want to check out the 13" M1 MacBook Pros or MacBook Airs.  I had a 16GB MacBook Pro for a while before the new ones came out and it was absolutely fine for Lightroom and Photoshop. 

1 hour ago, MDM said:

Just another thought which may or may not be welcome or may even be too late. If you are travelling without a car, the 16" might be a bit of a monster. Given your low demands in terms of computing power and general usage, the 14 and 16" computers are probably overkill. You might want to check out the 13" M1 MacBook Pros or MacBook Airs.  I had a 16GB MacBook Pro for a while before the new ones came out and it was absolutely fine for Lightroom and Photoshop. 

"Breaking with my usual principle of avoiding conversations with Ian"

Michael you confuse me.  I don't want your conversations. I block them. 

Maybe you should take more time getting on with your own contributions to Alamy and spend less time commenting on my posts?

Edited by geogphotos

1 hour ago, geogphotos said:

"Breaking with my usual principle of avoiding conversations with Ian"

Michael you confuse me.  I don't want your conversations. I block them. 

Maybe you should take more time getting on with your own contributions to Alamy and spend less time commenting on my posts?

OK won't happen again. I will not address you directly at any point from here on on this forum but I reserve the right to take part in any thread on this forum if I wish to do so even if you have started it.  I can't resist answering questions about Macs and other things that interest me (slide copying, post-processing) and others may benefit from my input (I have no doubt that they do) but I will ensure that I do not quote you (the above quote aside). Adios.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, MDM said:

OK won't happen again. I will not address you directly at any point from here on on this forum but I reserve the right to take part in any thread on this forum if I wish to do so even if you have started it.  I can't resist answering questions about Macs and other things that interest me (slide copying, post-processing) and others may benefit from my input (I have no doubt that they do) but I will ensure that I do not quote you (the above quote aside). Adios.

Whatever.

This is your problem.

I suggest that you get on with your own photography and spend less time commenting on others.

Under 4000 images since 2009 isn't that great is it? Especially since you know all the answers.😄

• Like 1
  • Dislike 3

On 15/03/2022 at 10:04, geogphotos said:

2021 Apple MacBook Pro 16", M1 Pro Processor, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD,

Anybody using this for stock either/or home/away?

Pros and cons please

This one from Jon Lewis comes with 1TB memory and gives no other option - I'd probably be happy with 500Gb.

It does include 2 years guarantee.

If you want to use that as your only computer and don't plan to lug it on buses, that might work.  I went with a Dell 15.5 inch machine for a backup, for if I needed to leave Nicaragua, and for times when the local power is erratic, but not impossibly.

If you have a car, and wouldn't be walking further than from the car to the inn, having more screen real estate is nice.   However it's not like having a 27 inch iMac.  The SSD card being bigger will be more useful than anything smaller if you use the laptop for uploading and screening images while on the road.  Otherwise, use external drives, but having too much stuff in a backpack in a hotel can mean forgetting something.  

Make sure you can plug in an external monitor.  

My Dell has 16 GB Ram and a video card with 4 GB Vram, but the M1 Apple Silicone machines don't take graphics cards.   I added more memory and a 500 Gb SSD card, but have an internal slowish spinning disk drive that's around 2 TB if I remember correctly.  If you have an all Mac system, you can use external drives or wireless or whatever to keep the two machines synchronized.  Or not.

Edo uses what he has in a laptop as his main machine, but I believe he got something bigger recently. 

5 hours ago, Rebecca Ore said:

If you want to use that as your only computer and don't plan to lug it on buses, that might work.  I went with a Dell 15.5 inch machine for a backup, for if I needed to leave Nicaragua, and for times when the local power is erratic, but not impossibly.

If you have a car, and wouldn't be walking further than from the car to the inn, having more screen real estate is nice.   However it's not like having a 27 inch iMac.  The SSD card being bigger will be more useful than anything smaller if you use the laptop for uploading and screening images while on the road.  Otherwise, use external drives, but having too much stuff in a backpack in a hotel can mean forgetting something.  

Make sure you can plug in an external monitor.  

My Dell has 16 GB Ram and a video card with 4 GB Vram, but the M1 Apple Silicone machines don't take graphics cards.   I added more memory and a 500 Gb SSD card, but have an internal slowish spinning disk drive that's around 2 TB if I remember correctly.  If you have an all Mac system, you can use external drives or wireless or whatever to keep the two machines synchronized.  Or not.

Edo uses what he has in a laptop as his main machine, but I believe he got something bigger recently. 

Thanks Rebecca - plenty to consider in what you have wriiten. Very useful. 

Most often I have a car, one thing that does concern me is that having an expensive piece of kit does add to concerns over security and the risk of making oneself a target for theft. 

I do appreciate ALL the helpful comments in this thread. 

6 hours ago, geogphotos said:

one thing that does concern me is that having an expensive piece of kit does add to concerns over security and the risk of making oneself a target for theft

Mostly, don't use the laptop in a public space, lock it up at your house.  Friend lost a camera and laptop going to check something in the office while she'd been working on the laptop in her hotel's lobby.  Now she locks the front door if someone isn't on duty at the desk.  My niece had her car broken into while she had a new Mackbook in the car, but they didn't get it because it was on the floor behind the front seat.  I think the typical thing here is leaving gear on a table, hanging from a chair and people just not watching.  I had a back pack stolen out of my classroom in Philadelphia.  The thieves were going for a laptop -- stole an umbrella and left all the student papers in the backpack one floor below my classroom in a men's toilet -- grabbed the pack, walked by one of my students coming in, and ran downstairs to check what they'd gotten.

Laptops here are immiently stealable, but friends got theirs back when the guy hired to wipe and install found my email on a manuscript I'd given the woman to read.  Always have something on the drive that would allow any honest technician to get in touch with you.