A serious question about QC

I have failed a QC because of "softness or lack of details" and "noise".

About the noise, yes there was noise but the image was cropped in order to see the noise. Yes, the ISO used was ISO4000 because I needed that high otherwise there would of been motion blur where people were walking around the place, if I had used more noise reduction, it would of killed the detail in the photo

About the "softness or lack of details" in the photo. I was given one example as to why there was "softness", the softness was in the people in the photo at the edge of the photo? Is Alamy really serious about that or is this some kind of joke?

About the noise, yes there was noise but the image was cropped in order to see the noise. Yes, the ISO used was ISO4000 because I needed that high otherwise there would of been motion blur where people were walking around the place, if I had used more noise reduction, it would of killed the detail in the photo

About the "softness or lack of details" in the photo. I was given one example as to why there was "softness", the softness was in the people in the photo at the edge of the photo? Is Alamy really serious about that or is this some kind of joke?

It's not a joke. You have to meet the QC standards as we all do on every submission.

There aren't many cameras that could pass QC at 4000 ISO, even with NR. The QC standards don't vary depending on the photographic conditions.

If you post a 100% crop we might be able to offer some advice.

Softness is softness wherever it is- either the image is pin-sharp or it isn't, in whatever part of the frame. They're not referring to falloff at the edge of the image- QC know about that and allow for it.

Am I right in my assumption that you added a picture - taken at ISO 4000 - to your initial submission of four images for approval????

I missed that.

Your initial submission should be of four very conservative images, nothing that needs anything but routine adjustment.

My first four were taken at 100 ISO in bright sunlight in July.

It's not a joke. You have to meet the QC standards as we all do on every submission.

There aren't many cameras that could pass QC at 4000 ISO, even with NR. The QC standards don't vary depending on the photographic conditions.

If you post a 100% crop we might be able to offer some advice.

Softness is softness wherever it is- either the image is pin-sharp or it isn't, in whatever part of the frame. They're not referring to falloff at the edge of the image- QC know about that and allow for it.

But there was no softness on the photo apart from the edge

You seem not to have any images yet.

Am I right in my assumption that you added a picture - taken at ISO 4000 - to your initial submission of four images for approval????

Cheers,

Philippe

Well yes, because there isn't many images that are below ISO800 that I've taken recently, and there are reasons why I can't submitt those ones that are

You've been asked to show us the offending image at 100% for advice. Until you do so there's not much to be said.

If necessary take some images specifically for your submission.

If you can only submit images at high ISOs- I'm not sure why it's necessary either, even in December- you are going to have to be very careful with your technique and processing.

Have a look at some of the images here- there aren't many requiring high ISO. I certainly haven't submitted or sold many that were shot above 400.

Ritchie are you sure stock photography is right for you?

I was told that the events I deal with is what Alamy sells

You seem not to have any images yet.

Cheers,

Philippe

Well yes, because there isn't many images that are below ISO800 that I've taken recently, and there are reasons why I can't submitt those ones that are

Just curious. What kind of subjects do you shoot that you need at least ISO800?

Cheers,

Philippe

I was told that Alamy deals with red carpet events

I'll be corrected if I'm wrong, but I don't think that is Alamy's strength.

In any case it would be a while before you would be invited to submit news/reportage and it wouldn't happen at all without a solid QC record.

IIRC I'd been submitting for at least two years before I got the invite.

I was told that Alamy deals with red carpet events

You should be more concerned about what Alamy tell you about the technical quality required for submissions. You don't seem to have a grasp of that yet . . .

So, post a 100% crop of your image and some pretty experienced forum members will critique it for you.

dd

Passing QC is a serious subject. You need to focus on why your image failed and fix your work flow accordingly. Most of us have failed at some stage and it's better to learn from mistakes and understand what the required standard looks like. Your ISO 4000 seems way over the top as a starting point unless you are shooting in total darkness. As already said what are you shooting? Badgers?

Regards

Craig

Passing QC is a serious subject. You need to focus on why your image failed and fix your work flow accordingly. Most of us have failed at some stage and it's better to learn from mistakes and understand what the required standard looks like. Your ISO 4000 seems way over the top as a starting point unless you are shooting in total darkness. As already said what are you shooting? Badgers?

Regards

Craig

You wouldn't see the noise unless you cropped the image in certain places, well in layman's term, even if you crop an ISO100 image, you're likely to see noise on photos. Being at ISO100 doesn't mean there isn't any noise

I was shooting an event in a building which only had natural lighting

You really need to show us the image, or parts of it, at 100%. Then you wouldn't need to try to explain what's there, we could see it with our own eyes.  I don't even like submitting photos at 1600ISO. 

If Alamy accepts photos with high noise, then you will just be seeing refunds after your sales. Not a good rep for you or Alamy.

Jill

Regards

Craig

You wouldn't see the noise unless you cropped the image in certain places, well in layman's term, even if you crop an ISO100 image, you're likely to see noise on photos. Being at ISO100 doesn't mean there isn't any noise

I was shooting an event in a building which only had natural lighting

By "crop" I assume you mean looking at a small part of the image at 100% . . . just a thought, did you check every square centimeter of all the images you submitted at 100%?

Oh, and about trolls . . . it's very tempting to think that someone who titles a thread "a serious question" then makes that question whether or not Alamy are joking when they tell you why an image has failed . . . well, you see what I mean . . .

dd

Just to note to the people who are negging me. I don't care if you neg me until you are blue in the face, it shows that trolls are on this site

I have never met a troll on this site, Richie. Only people who dispense advice - usually good advice.

Speaking as someone who seems to be in the QC doghouse at the moment, I just have to remember this - QC work for the site owners, they set the rules. If I don't like the rules I have 2 choices...

I wish you future success but here you will have to operate within Alamy's framework.

Christine

OP, there are no trolls here, just contributors whose bona fides you can confirm by viewing their collections.

Your bona fides, however, have yet to be established. Posting an image would help, we keep asking, and not calling well-meaning photographers trolls might help too.

Why not using flash like all other photographers at red carpet events?

Cheers,

Philippe

Ha, at one of the events the flash didn't work, even thought it was fully charged

I'm sorry but how exactly is your faulty equipment, Alamy's problem ? 

If your photos aren't up to Alamy's standard, they won't be accepted, never mind what excuse you have.

Where I diverge from conventional wisdom here, is about submitting safe images for your initial submission.

You've learned far more about Alamy's QC standard from this rejection, than from 4 safe images (provided you decide to take it on board).

The initial submission is the only time that you know that all your images are being examined. 

I would now put forward a selection of images testing sharpness, noise, shallow DoF, whatever parameters concern you, without worrying excessively about passing first time.

What you learn from a couple of failed first submissions is a good investment that will pay dividends when you're facing a 28 day lock out for failed QC once you're accepted.  

Archived