Micro sales

Remember the thread I started about bulk sales to China for pence? It looks like the same thing is now happening to Germany. Just had 6 come through for $0.20. 
Anyone else had the same?  (Interestingly all images are of plant close ups). 

Edited by ROC

• ROC changed the title to More sales for pence.

US 0.5$ yesterday

Usage: Personal use, Non-commercial projects such as teaching materials, essays, dissertations, theses and presentations.
Media: Editorial presentation, single design
Start: 07 February 2022
End: 07 February 2027

1 hour ago, Abiyoyo said:

US 0.5$ yesterday

Usage: Personal use, Non-commercial projects such as teaching materials, essays, dissertations, theses and presentations.

Weird.

Allan

1 hour ago, Abiyoyo said:

US 0.5$ yesterday

I also had one of these! 

I don't mind giving students a special price but this fee is totally ridiculous.

Phil

• Like 1

A question for those of you who have had the $0.5 education use license:

Was the image in Personal Use or Novel Use?

I asked Contributor Support about this because I was wondering how clients know about this deal and which images are included? Is it all of Alamy of just PU/NU opt ins?

44 minutes ago, Celluloid Hero said:

A sure fire way to stop contributors ever reaching Alamy Platinum status.

Only if those buying education use licences ( and subscription deals) would otherwise have been paying regular fees. I'd think that to be doubtful.

Not that Platinum status IS achievable.

Edited by geogphotos
  • Love 1
  • Like 2

3 minutes ago, geogphotos said:

I asked Contributor Support about this because I was wondering how clients know about this deal and which images are included? Is it all of Alamy of just PU/NU opt ins?

In my case PU, I am not in NU since years

20 hours ago, ROC said:

Remember the thread I started about bulk sales to China for pence? It looks like the same thing is now happening to Germany. Just had 6 come through for $0.20. 
Anyone else had the same?  (Interestingly all images are of plant close ups). 

Only one plant close up to Germany for 20/8 cents for me.  So far.

1 hour ago, geogphotos said:

Not in Novel Use.

In PU.

Phil

Thanks for the info. So it looks like it could be the Personal Use offering that is made available for the 50 cents Education deal

I totally understand the reservations over the fee being so low, but if selling for low fees there has to be volume.

How does any potential client know about this offer? Who is it open to? How would a student or teacher sign up to it? 

And if all this is kept secret how can there be volume?

Maybe it is a small trial and Alamy just want to keep it under wraps. But then why not say so.....why the secrecy?

Edited by geogphotos
  • Like 5

Thirteen at 20c each (interestingly all invoiced Saturday and Sunday), everyone is a flower/plant shot.
(German version of Gardener's World???)

Usage: Editorial, Alamy Access 750 Bilder pro Monat
Media: Editorial website
47 MB
4968 x 3288 pixels
2 MB compressed
Start: 05 February 2022
Duration: In perpetuity

Thankfully couple of better sales today will change my dashboard reading "13 sales this month ... $3.00"

🤥

37 minutes ago, TeeCee said:

Thirteen at 20c each (interestingly all invoiced Saturday and Sunday), everyone is a flower/plant shot.
(German version of Gardener's World???)

Usage: Editorial, Alamy Access 750 Bilder pro Monat
Media: Editorial website
47 MB
4968 x 3288 pixels
2 MB compressed
Start: 05 February 2022
Duration: In perpetuity

Thankfully couple of better sales today will change my dashboard reading "13 sales this month ... $3.00"

🤥

at this rate, i really hope Alamy can still claim average licence is $30 in 9 months.  Going to need plenty of $$$ and high $$ to maintain it. 

• Like 3

5 hours ago, geogphotos said:

Thanks for the info. So it looks like it could be the Personal Use offering that is made available for the 50 cents Education deal

I totally understand the reservations over the fee being so low, but if selling for low fees there has to be volume.

How does any potential client know about this offer? Who is it open to? How would a student or teacher sign up to it? 

And if all this is kept secret how can there be volume?

Maybe it is a small trial and Alamy just want to keep it under wraps. But then why not say so.....why the secrecy?

If I recollect correctly - these student licences were about 0.99$ a while back (99 cents).

I have noticed a lot of discount coupons available on Alamy - 20%, 30% and 50% off.

Could it have been someone using the latter?

Although I would 100% support this rate if its limited to students & teachers (I have a disclaimer on my website that my images are free with prior permission for students), I'm a bit skeptical.

Seems very unlikely a student would pay for it themselves even if it is only $0.20 except in very rare situations - I remember making endless powerpoint presentations, writing papers, etc... and to be honest there was no way I was going to license images for what at best would be a one time presentation to a class or a paper that a single prof would look at once.  There are too many easily downloadable images out there.   I've also taught a few hundred university students and watched their presentations - I would eat my socks if a single image in any one of those presentations was actually licensed from anywhere to be in that presentation (thats just not something students would do) nor would I want my students to have to pay out of pocket for such a thing.  Anyways, its all a long winded way of seeing that this usage seems far fetched to me. 

Of course this would all be solved my making a minimum rate option for contributors and maybe having an opt in/out option for student pricing. 

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Nodvandigtid said:

If I recollect correctly - these student licences were about 0.99$ a while back (99 cents).

I have noticed a lot of discount coupons available on Alamy - 20%, 30% and 50% off.

Could it have been someone using the latter?

I have only ever had a single student license, I believe back in 2018, and it was around a $. I dreaded seeing more of them, but never did.

6 hours ago, antonsrkn said:

Although I would 100% support this rate if its limited to students & teachers (I have a disclaimer on my website that my images are free with prior permission for students), I'm a bit skeptical.

Seems very unlikely a student would pay for it themselves even if it is only $0.20 except in very rare situations - I remember making endless powerpoint presentations, writing papers, etc... and to be honest there was no way I was going to license images for what at best would be a one time presentation to a class or a paper that a single prof would look at once.  There are too many easily downloadable images out there.   I've also taught a few hundred university students and watched their presentations - I would eat my socks if a single image in any one of those presentations was actually licensed from anywhere to be in that presentation (thats just not something students would do) nor would I want my students to have to pay out of pocket for such a thing.  Anyways, its all a long winded way of seeing that this usage seems far fetched to me. 

Of course this would all be solved my making a minimum rate option for contributors and maybe having an opt in/out option for student pricing. 

I don't see anywhere on the Alamy homepage where there is an Education Use option so I can't see how this can be fraudulent.

I agree with you about routine class presentations etc - the reality ( for now ) is that students and teachers just help themselves from Google and don't care less about copyright. But, also, somewhere else in that institution there will be somebody teaching about copyright and the ethics of computer use/technology. At the moment there is a disconnect.

But at dissertation/thesis level the candidate is expected to provide references for all material used and often an acknowledgment section to list all the assistance they have received. Very often one copy of this submission is then held in the library. That is where the start should be made to insist that all images are properly and legally sourced. Not least so that the author can vouch for the accuracy of each image being what it says it is.

Education institutions have multi-million $$$ budgets, teachers and students are expected to pay for everything else they use and need so why not for photography?

Edited by geogphotos
  • Love 1
  • Thanks 2

From the reply I have from Alamy it seems that the Education Use license is offered when appropriate by the Alamy sales team:

"We have a sales team with extensive knowledge of the education market, so if any potential clients contact Alamy for educational use that they would be looked after by that team"

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Celluloid Hero said:

"Looked after" means nothing to contributors.

I think it just means that if and when contacted the sales team will do their best to meet the needs of the prospective client. This deal is clearly not generally available and neither is it advertised. Personally, I find that a shame but I suspect that most contributors are pleased.