I have several licenses come in this morning similar to:

Usage: Editorial
Media: Editorial website
Industry sector: Media, design & publishing
Image Size: Any size
Start: 01 October 2021
Duration: In perpetuity Single use in online platforms, social channels and Editorial use in owned DOOH when used in an editorial context and in owned media.

What's a DOOH?

DOOH seems to be the broad term for what I was suggesting as a good winter subject. Signs. I'm having the best month ever for sale (not fees). And most of them are signs. 

This DOOH thing has shown up on many of my most recent sales -- all for pocket change. This is what is shown in the data:

"Duration: In perpetuity Single use in online platforms, social channels and Editorial use in owned DOOH when used in an editorial context and in owned media."

Edited by Ed Rooney

"Digital out-of-home media, or DOOH media, refers to digital media that appears in environments accessible to the public"  Sounds like advertising to me... Can be in .....

Shopping malls and retail stores

Movie theaters and arenas

Medical waiting rooms

Airports, train stations and bus shelters

Beside major roadways

....... So why such a small fee to the photographer?

Paulette

• Like 8

Yes, I've had three of these DOOH this month so far and they are of British political figures and marked down for editoral use only, (no model release). So if DOOH are used on advertisment displays in shopping malls, retail stores etc to sell a product how is this posible? 😕

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Alan Beastall said:

Yes, I've had three of these DOOH this month so far and they are of British political figures and marked down for editoral use only, (no model release). So if DOOH are used on advertisment displays in shopping malls, retail stores etc to sell a product how is this posible? 😕

Yes, I had 6 of these sales today... all licenses say 'editorial context' ... so presumably can't be used for advertising.

Think I have had one of those DOOH's a while ago but it seem to it being a better payout than you good folks are getting now.

Allan

37 minutes ago, Allan Bell said:

Think I have had one of those DOOH's a while ago but it seem to it being a better payout than you good folks are getting now.

Allan

Given the prices we're accepting for these, shouldn't ib be DOH?

• Love 1

16 minutes ago, spacecadet said:

Given the prices we're accepting for these, shouldn't ib be DOH?

I haven't had any of these sales yet, but I was thinking the same thing. Homer was ahead of his time.

Season 3 Wall GIF by The Simpsons

P.S. It certainly isn't DOUGH.

Edited by John Mitchell
  • Love 3

2 hours ago, Alan Beastall said:

What are the rules for political ads in the UK?  The US has a public figure rule that says that if you've chosen to put yourself out there (politician, prominent actors and musicians, etc.), you aren't protected in the same way as a private person.   People sometimes use real named politicians in fiction and satire, but are more cautious about using real names for non-public figures (with some debate about how public a figure various people are).

In the US, many political ads used released or not photographs that had absolutely no connection with the particular side advertising and putting a supporting text to the photograph.  Various people did Google image searches and found which stock photos had been used.  In those cases, they would have to be released and the contract either didn't mention possibly defamatory uses or did and prepared to argue that the text connected to the person was not defamatory. 

This discusses the issues of stock in political advertising further:  https://slate.com/news-and-politics/2016/02/rubio-canada-and-the-dangers-of-stock-footage-in-campaign-ads.html

• Love 1

Let's give this a chance.

I very much doubt that these images are on display on billboards in Times Square or Piccadilly Circus.

More likely that they are in the shop window of an estate agent, or a travel agent, or used in a digital display in a museum, or similar.

These do appear to be one of the the new developments Alamy announced recently.

Let's see. There may be real potential here.

Edited by geogphotos
  • Like 3

34 minutes ago, geogphotos said:

Let's give this a chance.

I very much doubt that these images are on display on billboards in Times Square or Piccadilly Circus.

More likely that they are in the shop window of an estate agent, or a travel agent, or used in a digital display in a museum, or similar.

These do appear to be one of the the new developments Alamy announced recently.

Let's see. There may be real potential here.

Potential for whom, though? Probably not for us by the looks of it. Setting the initial price this low doesn't bode well IMO.

My last "regular" museum display license a few months ago was for $200, not 88 cents.

• Thanks 1