Moving from Lightroom 6 to Lightroom Classic subscription on a new MacBookPro

1 hour ago, Alex Ramsay said:

Thanks, Edo - that's encouraging. I'm not a gamer either (nor do I eat a lot), but on the other hand I do use a D810 and sometimes a D850, and those are big files to process. I just want to be sure that the Air won't slow to a frustrating crawl while processing pics.

£150 a day? In my dreams . . .

Alex

I think you should be ok with the D850 files if you are not processing a lot of image at the same time as these M1 Macs have very efficient memory usage. However, it is the future proofing that would concern me as 8GB is the minimum now that you need to run Lightroom. If it was me, I would go for a smaller internal drive (maybe you are also going for the minimum there) and increase the RAM to 16GB. Bear in mind that these Macs cannot be upgraded at all.

2 hours ago, Alex Ramsay said:

Edo - if I may - a quick question; I'm about to buy an M1 Macbook Air and put LR Classic on it, as I'm going to be living abroad for a while - have you found that 8GB is enough for Lightroom with the M1 chip, or did you go for 16GB? I'm on a very tight budget, unfortunately . . .

Alex

I started a thread about this recently based on 16Gb RAM, and several people urged me to go for 32Gb for the sake of 'future-proofing'.

From the Google research I did on these amazing new machines there seemed in actual fact to be little procesing time difference.

I suppose it depends what you do. But for 'one at a time' processing and not doing anything fancy my view would be to buy as much RAM as you can afford ( at the expenses of less HD if necessary) and then just get on with it.

Let's face it these Macbook M1 products are amazing compared with what we used quite satisfactorily in the past. 

Edited by geogphotos

To be very clear about the concept of future proofing, Adobe has continually over the years increased thx minimum amount of RAM required to run Lightroom. The current minimum is 8GB and the  recommended minimum is 16GB. Using the principle that the past is the key to the present (and future), it is likely to be only a matter of time before Macs with 8 GB of RAM will no longer run Lightroom. It might be several years of course but in my opinion 8GB is cutting it tight if one wants their machine to continue running Lightroom down the line.

This is not about performance as such although one should not forget that D850 files are large. RAM will only come into the processing speed  equation when it is maxed out during processing.(e.g. importing and generating previews in Lightroom). 

Edited by MDM
  • Love 1

14 hours ago, MDM said:

I think you should be ok with the D850 files if you are not processing a lot of image at the same time as these M1 Macs have very efficient memory usage. However, it is the future proofing that would concern me as 8GB is the minimum now that you need to run Lightroom. If it was me, I would go for a smaller internal drive (maybe you are also going for the minimum there) and increase the RAM to 16GB. Bear in mind that these Macs cannot be upgraded at all.

Thanks all - I won't be processing great numbers simultaneously - that can wait till I'm home - but I shall need to do at least basic processing image by image. I was already thinking of going for the smallest (256GB) internal drive as I already have a portable 4TB SSD external drive, which is more than enough storage for my rate of shooting.

Alex

13 hours ago, MDM said:

To be very clear about the concept of future proofing, Adobe has continually over the years increased thx minimum amount of RAM required to run Lightroom. The current minimum is 8GB and the  recommended minimum is 16GB.

I wonder if refuses to run with less than 8GB?

Mark

27 minutes ago, geogphotos said:

I'm sure that Alex is using a standalone version of Lightroom so will not be affected by Adobe upgrades.

I do on my old iMac at home - but am thinking of installing Lightroom Classic on the (hypothetical) new Macbook, as the standalone version of LR won't run on any Mac OS after Mojave. Anyway, how did you know?

Alex

38 minutes ago, Alex Ramsay said:

I do on my old iMac at home - but am thinking of installing Lightroom Classic on the (hypothetical) new Macbook, as the standalone version of LR won't run on any Mac OS after Mojave. Anyway, how did you know?

Alex

Sorry, misunderstood what you had said. Don't know anything much about Lightroom. Assumed you were not thinking of a subscription service  but using software that you own as a standalone and therefore would know from the outset what system you needed.

I thought that Lightroom Classic was the standalone software 🥴

I am also thinking of buying one of these M1 Macbooks. The decision is now more complex for me with use of DXOPureRaw.

Edited by geogphotos

4 hours ago, M.Chapman said:

I wonder if refuses to run with less than 8GB?

Mark

Almost certainly but I don't have any way of checking that. There will also be OS limits on minimum RAM.  Apple are no longer selling any computers with less than 8GB so I think it is unwise to buy anything with less than 16GB. Minimum RAM on a computer that can't be upgraded is risky for longevity, particularly for anyone using graphics editing programs. It is £200 now for the extra 8GB but down the line a new machine would be a lot more expensive.

Edited by MDM

2 hours ago, Alex Ramsay said:

Have just gone for the 16gb / 512gb configuration - thanks for all advice

Alex

Perhaps you have already ordered this but just wanted to flag up that John Lewis is offering interest free terms. The closest that they offer is 16Gb/1 Tb.

It might be useful to others to know that if you are on the VAT Flat rate scheme you can reclaim the VAT on single business purchases over £2000. 

Edited by geogphotos

4 minutes ago, Rebecca Ore said:

I'd go for a one Tb SSD over smaller, though I have smaller in my Windows laptop, but that is a machine I can work on myself.

That is what I will probably go for. Just taking my time thinking it all through.