Moving from Lightroom 6 to Lightroom Classic subscription on a new MacBookPro

34 minutes ago, Ed Rooney said:

At the moment, in addition to my great 2021 1M MacBook Air, I have a MacBook Pro, bought in the spring of 2018 in NYC. This Pro has given me nothing but grief. When I got to Seville, Apple did a recall of it. I left it at the Apple Store. They told me it would be 2 or 3 months. I bought a MacBook Air, which also gave me grief.

As someone who predates the Digital Era, I've been forced to accept that now we can either accept and learn things digital or live in the woods and eat berries and mushrooms. I only feel safe getting my berries and mushrooms at the supermarket . . . so I continue to try to deal with digital stuff.  

You never did tell what was going on with your MacBook Air in relation to passwords and Adobe apps. It all suddenly resolved but you clammed up and never told us what happened. Maybe you were giving it grief and not the other way round 🤔😃.

As for the digital era, my internet is down today and I am having to use an iPhone hotspot. Never did this before. Not bad actually.

Edited by MDM

I will not be looking to upgrade my 27" iMac and will be in the process of dumming down clearing out a bit this year.  As a start I will be ending my LRC subscription around May or June time and going back to LR6.14 I still have on my computer.  That will save me enough to pay the window cleaner for another year.😀

The reason?  I sold my Sony 7 mk3 and I only went with the LRC subscription as the LR6.14 would mot recognise the RAW files from it. The rest of my cameras are recognised by LR6.14.

Other savings will be forthcoming like selling off more photographic equipment as there is too much sitting in a cupboard not getting any use.

Allan

Sorry this is not really anything to do with this thread. Just feeling a bit negative - or should that be positive knowing that I am moving forward?

ITMA

Edited.

Edited by Allan Bell

13 minutes ago, Allan Bell said:

I will not be looking to upgrade my 27" iMac and will be in the process of dumming down a bit this year.  As a start I will be ending my LRC subscription around May or June time and going back to LR6.14 I still have on my computer.  That will save me enough to pay the window cleaner for another year.😀

The reason?  I sold my Sony 7 mk3 and I only went with the LRC subscription as the LR6.14 would mot recognise the RAW files from it. The rest of my cameras are recognised by LR6.14.

It's not just about the cameras.  You won't be able to install LR6.14 on a new M1 Mac or indeed any OS later than Mojave. Even if it was possible, you would also be limiting yourself both in terms of speed and features which have advanced massively in LR Classic since the days of 6.14. Me I'll take dirty windows any day over regressing my software. 

Dumming down  - I take it you mean downsizing. Dumbing down has an entirely different meaning.

Edited by MDM
  • Thanks 1

I'm going to start the subscription when I get my new computer and do worry about what I would do if I felt the need to cancel it. At this time it seems using DXO for processing would be a sensible choice. They seem to be mindful of making their program work with the database in Lightroom. 

Paulette

• Love 1

1 hour ago, MDM said:

You never did tell what was going on with your MacBook Air in relation to passwords and Adobe apps. It all suddenly resolved but you clammed up and never told us what happened. Maybe you were giving it grief and not the other way round 🤔😃.

As for the digital era, my internet is down today and I am having to use an iPhone hotspot. Never did this before. Not bad actually.

Even if I could remember all this various details of yesterday's problems -- and I don't -- I would not be interested in discussing them. My plan is to focus on the moment.

• Like 1

Just now, Ed Rooney said:

Even if I could remember all this various details of yesterday's problems -- and I don't -- I would not be interested in discussing them. My plan is to focus on the moment.

But learning from the mistakes of the past is pretty important if you want to avoid them in the future. No worries anyway. 

3 hours ago, NYCat said:

I'm going to start the subscription when I get my new computer and do worry about what I would do if I felt the need to cancel it. At this time it seems using DXO for processing would be a sensible choice. They seem to be mindful of making their program work with the database in Lightroom. 

Paulette

Hope you get it before long, Paulette. For me, when anticipating something big, each day of waiting feels like a week. And if the rumored trucking thing happens in the U.S., who knows when we’ll get anything.

4 hours ago, NYCat said:

Paulette

Cancelling is simple. You do it online through your Adobe account management. When they firsr introduced the subscription, it involved a phone call to customer services which was a pain but that is not the case now. 

I only have version 3 of DxO Labs so don't know what they have done recently but the data management facility is primitive in comparison to Lightroom. It is a good raw converter but the integration of everything, including Photoshop, in the Adobe package makes it far superior in my opinion. 

It is my understanding that if I left the subscription my Lightroom database would remain and I would only be prevented from processing images in Lightroom. I have read information about DXO that leads me to believe they make it easy to continue to use the Lightroom database while processing images in their program. I hope I won't need to find out if it is true and I would have to investigate again at that time. it is just reassuring to me to know that I would have an offramp.

Paulette

1 hour ago, MDM said:

I only have version 3 of DxO Labs so don't know what they have done recently but the data management facility is primitive in comparison to Lightroom. It is a good raw converter but the integration of everything, including Photoshop, in the Adobe package makes it far superior in my opinion. 

I've got DxO Photo 5 and it works by project, but can index all attached drives and does take keywords from LRC or entering into its own database.

48 minutes ago, NYCat said:

It is my understanding that if I left the subscription my Lightroom database would remain and I would only be prevented from processing images in Lightroom. I have read information about DXO that leads me to believe they make it easy to continue to use the Lightroom database while processing images in their program. I hope I won't need to find out if it is true and I would have to investigate again at that time. it is just reassuring to me to know that I would have an offramp.

Paulette

OK I misinterpreted what you said. I don't have know anyone who has cancelled and continued to use Lightroom as a database alone so don't know how workable that would be. If one's image collection was not very large, then Bridge might be an alternative database solution (assuming it remains free and outside of the subscription) but Lightroom has a far better database than Bridge. Perhaps DxO will continue to improve the data management side of DxO Labs.

1 hour ago, NYCat said:

Paulette

My DxO Photo Lab 5 picked up all the keywords that I'd entered in LR Classic.  They're part of the metadata in the photo file, apparently, as they also end up as keywords when I export to Alamy.

Actually, it didn't pick up the recent work on cut and pasting keywords from the spread sheet, just the older ones when it first connected to the photo files.

Edited by Rebecca Ore

5 minutes ago, Rebecca Ore said:

My DxO Photo Lab 5 picked up all the keywords that I'd entered in LR Classic.  They're part of the metadata in the photo file, apparently, as they also end up as keywords when I export to Alamy.

Does it pick up keywords entered in Lightroom related to raw files (i.e. is it reading sidecar xmp files or just embedded metadata in JPEGs etc?)

12 minutes ago, MDM said:

Does it pick up keywords entered in Lightroom related to raw files (i.e. is it reading sidecar xmp files or just embedded metadata in JPEGs etc?)

Misspoke -- it did read out the keywords I cut and pasted in from the spreadsheet.   I just have multiple copies of some of those images. 

Alamy can only read the exported jpegs.   I don't have jpegs for everything in my photo storage drive and folders. 

Edited by Rebecca Ore
more information

I haven't tried full Capture One so don't know if it will do the sort of metadata searches that Lightroom Classic does.   DxO doesn't seem to.  This YouTube video goes over what does and doesn't work:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hL6eGtdtFXU

Sending photos from LR Classic to DxO (and a range of other plugins will still work. 

Edited by Rebecca Ore
got my programs mixed up.

• 2 weeks later...

I've done it. I got the notice from B&H that they had my MacBookPro. It is ordered and delivery will be Tuesday. That's a day I can stay home to sign for it. Nervous and happy.

Paulette

57 minutes ago, NYCat said:

I've done it. I got the notice from B&H that they had my MacBookPro. It is ordered and delivery will be Tuesday. That's a day I can stay home to sign for it. Nervous and happy.

Paulette

Nothing to be nervous about (apart from the possibility of nuclear disasters). Tuesday will probably arrive as usual but you never know.

Don’t forget to get an adapter or dock so you can attach your USB3 drive to access your files. As always I’m happy to help. 

Thank you so much. I feel much less nervous than I did when I started this thread. I am confident that I can move forward step by step.

Paulette

• Love 1

6 hours ago, MDM said:

The big surprise is that they have discontinued the 27” iMac. 

Indeed. If I was upgrading now I'd probably go for an M1 laptop (for portability when required) with the new 5K display (I've grown to like those tiny pixels). But hopefully my 27" iMac will keep me going for a few years yet, by which time there will no doubt be other Apple options available anyway.

Mark

I'm writing this on my new MacBookPro. I usually use my AIR for the forum and I was going to wait until I was further along before using this here but since people are adding to the thread.... here I am. The text is too small. What can I do about that? I at least managed to get rid of the awful graphic on the desktop that it came with. I thought the Apple people all had good visual sense. Anyway, now I have a nice soft grey and my dock is at the left side. I need to clear out my (actual wooden) desk space. I have been putting my laptops on top of a box of "computer stuff" that I hadn't opened probably in years. My word. Lots of huge cables. Lots of written instructions. We certainly seem to have done away with writing things on paper. My Apple Care came in an email and my computer came with the laptop and a charger. It is a lovely thing. I suspect I will be blundering through for a while. Thank you so much for the help. I will probably have more questions.

Paulette

46 minutes ago, NYCat said:

I'm writing this on my new MacBookPro. I usually use my AIR for the forum and I was going to wait until I was further along before using this here but since people are adding to the thread.... here I am. The text is too small. What can I do about that? I at least managed to get rid of the awful graphic on the desktop that it came with. I thought the Apple people all had good visual sense. Anyway, now I have a nice soft grey and my dock is at the left side. I need to clear out my (actual wooden) desk space. I have been putting my laptops on top of a box of "computer stuff" that I hadn't opened probably in years. My word. Lots of huge cables. Lots of written instructions. We certainly seem to have done away with writing things on paper. My Apple Care came in an email and my computer came with the laptop and a charger. It is a lovely thing. I suspect I will be blundering through for a while. Thank you so much for the help. I will probably have more questions.

Paulette

Text too small -  I think the only way to increase the system font size is to use a scaled display preference which tends to make other things look pretty weird - check out System Prefs - Display.

1 hour ago, M.Chapman said:

Indeed. If I was upgrading now I'd probably go for an M1 laptop (for portability when required) with the new 5K display (I've grown to like those tiny pixels). But hopefully my 27" iMac will keep me going for a few years yet, by which time there will no doubt be other Apple options available anyway.

Mark

Yes to the MacBook Pro but I would not go for one of these displays when one could get a top of the range Eizo 27" for a similar price or a similar BenQ and have plenty of spare change. They are not even HDR monitors (unlike the new MacBook Pro Mini LED displays) or the vastly more expensive XDR displays. The monitors seem to fall in between as they are not ideal for photography and lack features of advanced video editing. 

20 minutes ago, MDM said:

Text too small -  I think the only way to increase the system font size is to use a scaled display preference which tends to make other things look pretty weird - check out System Prefs - Display.

Thank you. I had found that on Google and I've gone one step up with the size and will see how it goes. Bit by bit right now. I hope I have finally satisfied Google and won't get more messages about my password. I have a tip about Monterey but don't know where they are trying to lead me. Anyway, I'll get along ... I do love the thing.