Moving from Lightroom 6 to Lightroom Classic subscription on a new MacBookPro

6 minutes ago, NYCat said:

Interesting, Allan. I got an email the other day from B&H and got all excited thinking it would say my laptop was available but it just said they will email me every two weeks to let me know. At least I won't have to worry that they have forgotten me.

Paulette

Hi Paulette, I think I would be leaping about from one foot to the other foot if I had to wait for two weeks for an email to tell me it would be ANOTHER two weeks before hearing anything again.

Allan

Reminds me of my beds delivery saga back in 2020 when the lockdowns were in full swing.

ITMA

Edited by Allan Bell

1 hour ago, Allan Bell said:

The trade in quote was, wait for it,  £88.00.   Yes you read it correctly  EIGHTY EIGHT POUNDS.  (US$118.80).  Just to check I went on another site called "Tradein"  and they offered  £140.00 which is not much better.

Sell it on eBay??

Mark

• Love 1

1 hour ago, Allan Bell said:

Did not want or need to start another thread but this has a bearing on the question of buying new computers.

If I wanted to go to an Apple store I would have to travel to Sheffield, Leicester or Leeds. But we do have a Stormfront store and there is Currys both in Lincoln. As I was in town I called into the Stormfront Store, which is essentially an Apple store in all but name, as I wanted to know if they knew when the up to date 27" mac might be coming to the high street.  The gentleman I spoke to was quite helpful but could not give that information as they did not know themselves yet.  So I asked if he knew what the trade in value was likely to be for my old late 2013 27" iMac would be.  All he would do was point me to the Stormfront website and enter details there to get a quote.

So today I put in all the information I could or was asked for on the Stormfront site and received a quote.  WHAT! You are kidding me.   I think that is why he did not want to tell me in the shop/store. He did not want to be deafened by my outburst.

The trade in quote was, wait for it,  £88.00.   Yes you read it correctly  EIGHTY EIGHT POUNDS.  (US$118.80).  Just to check I went on another site called "Tradein"  and they offered  £140.00 which is not much better.

So if I do buy a new iMac, when they come out, I think it would make sense to use the old one as a second screen. Cheaper than another new screen and it would be available to fall back on as a fully working computer should the new one fail.

Allan

That has got that off my chest.

ITMA

Word has it that Apple will announce a 27" silicon iMac on March 8th so availability likely to be April-June time if that is the case. YouTube is the place to get this type of info.

You don't need to go to a shop to get a Mac -  why not buy direct from Apple and get it delivered? Alternatively, Jigsaw24 where you bought the drives are also great for Mac purchases and Nottingham is probably closer to you than Sheffield and definitely closer than Leeds or Leicester. I bought my first Mac PowerBook from them in the mid-90s and have purchased a few computers since then (collecting in store) although lately I have just gone direct with Apple and had stuff delivered which has been problem-free. If you are looking for advice on what to buy, then I am happy to assist you - I probably know as much or more than most store people anyway, particularly in relation to photography.

I am pretty certain that you can no longer use an iMac screen as a second monitor. There was a big discussion here last year about this (Mark C knows more). Apple have their own trade-on scheme and you can check how much you would get on the Apple Store site. I doubt it would be a lot more than you have already been offered. Selling online might be your best bet. What would you pay anyway for a 9 year old computer which may not be in perfect condition anyway? 

Edited by MDM

1 hour ago, NYCat said:

Interesting, Allan. I got an email the other day from B&H and got all excited thinking it would say my laptop was available but it just said they will email me every two weeks to let me know. At least I won't have to worry that they have forgotten me.

Paulette

Looking at the Apple Store, most 16" MacBook Pros have a delivery time in late March. If ordering from a third party like B&H, the waiting time could be longer? It is unlikely to be sooner in any case.

A computer that's older than 3 or 4 years is not worth a lot. It's a shame Allan can't use the screen with his new iMac. I still love my M1 MacBook Air.

The last 2 Apple items, a iPhone 12 mini and a iPad mini, I bought at John Lewis. The Apple Store had those items only with costly extras. 

Edo

Hi people, and thanks for the tips and advice and offers of help. I will keep them all in mind but am not looking to buy new computer anytime soon. it will become a necessity sometime in the not too distant future I would think.

I only popped in to the store to have a nosey and quiz the staff.

Actually Mick I did buy my iMac on line direct from Apple back in 2013.  It came direct from China.

Allan

30 minutes ago, Allan Bell said:

Hi people, and thanks for the tips and advice and offers of help. I will keep them all in mind but am not looking to buy new computer anytime soon. it will become a necessity sometime in the not too distant future I would think.

I only popped in to the store to have a nosey and quiz the staff.

Actually Mick I did buy my iMac on line direct from Apple back in 2013.  It came direct from China.

Allan

What's the spec and condition on your current iMac and what version of Mac OS is it running? Do you still have the box? If you let me know I'll be happy to check what they've been selling for on eBay and if it can be used as an external monitor.

Mark

31 minutes ago, M.Chapman said:

What's the spec and condition on your current iMac and what version of Mac OS is it running? Do you still have the box? If you let me know I'll be happy to check what they've been selling for on eBay and if it can be used as an external monitor.

Mark

Apple has this to say about what and how to use older iMacs as external monitors:  https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204592

4 hours ago, MDM said:

I am pretty certain that you can no longer use an iMac screen as a second monitor. There was a big discussion here last year about this (Mark C knows more).

1 hour ago, Rebecca Ore said:

Apple has this to say about what and how to use older iMacs as external monitors:  https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204592

There was some discussion on this previously here. No verified conclusions I'm afraid, but it does look like some specific combinations **might** work.

Mark

Edited by M.Chapman

38 minutes ago, M.Chapman said:

This was some discussion on this previously here. No verified conclusions I'm afraid, but it does look like some specific combinations **might** work.

Mark

Yes I recall now. The young Aussie guy on YouTube showed it working with a 2020 M1 MacBook Air although Apple say it won't work on computers produced since 2019 and then only on certain older iMacs. I don't have an old iMac so won't be testing it out. 

On 18/01/2022 at 11:40, NYCat said:

Oh my. I like to use B&H because they have my sales tax exemption and it can make a big difference. Although I'm not sure it works for a computer. We'll see. They are generally good to deal with for fast shipping, etc. So I will just devote myself to getting everything I need onto an external drive so it is ready to go on the new machine.

Paulette

Yes the sales tax exemption worked for me when I bought my new iMac last year.

12 hours ago, M.Chapman said:

Mark

Thanks Mark but I have been looking on line at he conversations about using and it does not seem to be possible with a 2022 model.  I have been looking on ebay for prices. The computer and accessories that cam with it are all in good nick. I had the box right up till I moved home in 2019 when I ditched it.

Allan

12 hours ago, Betty LaRue said:

Yes the sales tax exemption worked for me when I bought my new iMac last year.

10 hours ago, Michael Ventura said:

Sadly, B&H just discontinued the PayBoo credit card, so no more sales tax offset for those who had the card.

Thanks for letting me know it is worth it to wait for B&H. I don't know what that credit card is. I was selling prints at shows for a while and paying our New York state sales tax so I have the exemption on file with B&H. I still occasionally sell prints.

Paulette

On 05/02/2022 at 20:56, Betty LaRue said:

Really!! They were promoting the card in my email up to recently!

Betty, I just got a corrected email announcement from B&H today saying that the Payboo card will continue but underwritten by a different financial company.  So to continue with Payboo, we need to re-apply with this new bank.  Hopefully you got the same email.

10 hours ago, Michael Ventura said:

Betty, I just got a corrected email announcement from B&H today saying that the Payboo card will continue but underwritten by a different financial company.  So to continue with Payboo, we need to re-apply with this new bank.  Hopefully you got the same email.

Thanks! I have no more big purchases in the pipeline for awhile, but nice to know.
I’m not keeping up with email much, I’ve been feeling too bad. The bone stimulator caused a great deal of pain last night and there was no sleep for the wicked. All the meds have upset my stomach. I’m very discouraged and close to tears.

Edited by Betty LaRue

• 2 weeks later...

Is Apple coming out with a new 24" iMac in 2022? I get only a 'maybe' from looking online. 

A new management company took over my building today. If they fix some of the problems here, I will probably not move. And then I'll want to have a desktop and a TV licence, go back to being semi-normal. 

Edo

2 hours ago, Ed Rooney said:

Is Apple coming out with a new 24" iMac in 2022? I get only a 'maybe' from looking online. 

A new management company took over my building today. If they fix some of the problems here, I will probably not move. And then I'll want to have a desktop and a TV licence, go back to being semi-normal. 

Edo

The 24" were the initial M1 iMacs with lots of colours,  mainly aimed at consumers, but they are supposed to be very fast. Rumour has it that there will be some 27" iMacs soon, maybe in March. There are also rumours of a new Mac Mini Pro. 

Edited by MDM

The 27" is too big. My M1 MacBook Air is a year old now. It's the best computer I've ever had. I'm sure I'd be happy with the M1 iMac. I'll have to see what this new building management company does before buying anything I'd have to move.  

2 hours ago, Ed Rooney said:

The 27" is too big. My M1 MacBook Air is a year old now. It's the best computer I've ever had. I'm sure I'd be happy with the M1 iMac. I'll have to see what this new building management company does before buying anything I'd have to move.  

If you are happy with the M1 MacBook Air, a 24" monitor would probably be a better solution than a 24" M1 iMac and it would save you a lot of money.  We had a whole thread last year on monitors. 

The first generation M1 MacBooks (Pro and Air) are really excellent, fast machines. The latest MacBook Pros represent another leap in speed (as will the next generation iMacs) but that would be mainly noticeable for video and other high end tasks. For your purposes and with the cameras and software you use, I doubt you would see much difference if any in speed going to a first generation iMac.

Edited by MDM

Sending my MacBookPro to Apple to get a new battery & keyboard, love how fast it is but I spent too much on a laptop figuring I'd use my 2011 27" iMac as a monitor but 27" is too big, my neck is so much better since doing most of my work on a laptop - but I really need a bigger screen.

This MacBookPro is now 3 years old and I wonder if something else will go on it once it comes back - my laptops haven't lasted but my iMacs seem so sturdy - though I can't run anything on the iMac since it's so old. 

I'm torn between whether to buy a 24" monitor and work on an older (but blazing fast) laptop or whether to get a 24 inch iMac. My daughter loves hers (she got it right before we arrived for Christmas) but she was so busy with work on her dissertation while Noni & Pop were there to help babysit, so I never got a chance to try it out. She uses it for all kinds of coding projects as well as mathematical computations, but hasn't had time to try it for gaming, and she's only got PS5 from her college days.

I was hoping to see how it did with large layered PS files. I'm concerned that you can only get 16GB RAM though I understand it's supposed to be faster than 16GB used to be. My MacBookPro has 32GB. If I got an iMac, my next laptop would be an Air when the Macbook dies. I'm hoping the new keyboard and battery extend it's life, though the hard drive and wiring are the real guts of the thing. 

Please share your thoughts. Are they fast enough for huge files from Sony full frame cameras  in LR & PS? A good monitor isn't cheap, and in two years' time my laptop will no longer be supported by upgrades. 

At the moment, in addition to my great 2021 1M MacBook Air, I have a MacBook Pro, bought in the spring of 2018 in NYC. This Pro has given me nothing but grief. When I got to Seville, Apple did a recall of it. I left it at the Apple Store. They told me it would be 2 or 3 months. I bought a MacBook Air, which also gave me grief.

As someone who predates the Digital Era, I've been forced to accept that now we can either accept and learn things digital or live in the woods and eat berries and mushrooms. I only feel safe getting my berries and mushrooms at the supermarket . . . so I continue to try to deal with digital stuff.  

6 hours ago, Marianne said:

Sending my MacBookPro to Apple to get a new battery & keyboard, love how fast it is but I spent too much on a laptop figuring I'd use my 2011 27" iMac as a monitor but 27" is too big, my neck is so much better since doing most of my work on a laptop - but I really need a bigger screen.

This MacBookPro is now 3 years old and I wonder if something else will go on it once it comes back - my laptops haven't lasted but my iMacs seem so sturdy - though I can't run anything on the iMac since it's so old. 

I'm torn between whether to buy a 24" monitor and work on an older (but blazing fast) laptop or whether to get a 24 inch iMac. My daughter loves hers (she got it right before we arrived for Christmas) but she was so busy with work on her dissertation while Noni & Pop were there to help babysit, so I never got a chance to try it out. She uses it for all kinds of coding projects as well as mathematical computations, but hasn't had time to try it for gaming, and she's only got PS5 from her college days.

I was hoping to see how it did with large layered PS files. I'm concerned that you can only get 16GB RAM though I understand it's supposed to be faster than 16GB used to be. My MacBookPro has 32GB. If I got an iMac, my next laptop would be an Air when the Macbook dies. I'm hoping the new keyboard and battery extend it's life, though the hard drive and wiring are the real guts of the thing. 

Please share your thoughts. Are they fast enough for huge files from Sony full frame cameras  in LR & PS? A good monitor isn't cheap, and in two years' time my laptop will no longer be supported by upgrades. 

First of all wait until March before making any decisions, as Apple are strongly rumoured to be announcing several new Macs.

Judging by what you say about using multilayered Photoshop files and other comments previously, I would not recommend getting anything less than 32GB of RAM on a new machine. The 24” iMacs are consumer really consumer products in relation to graphics programs so unless Apple release a new 24” with more RAM available then this would probably not be a good idea. This is mainly for future proofing, as the new silicon (M1 so far) Macs handle memory (all on a single chip including the GPU) in a very different way to any other computer ever made and it is generally not necessary to have loads of RAM. You can’t compare the 32GB on your existing machine with 32GB on an M1 Mac. 

Instead of an iMac, you could consider a new Mac Mini Pro (rumoured at the moment to be coming soon) which would be superfast and which would require an external monitor of course. This would be cheaper than a new MacBook Pro with an external monitor. 

The big thing with all of these new silicon Macs is how they handle video - they are lightning fast in comparison to most older Intel Macs. The latest MacBook Pros from October 2021 are out of this world in terms of what they can do with video. If you do video then my recommendations might be a little different to above.