Moving from Lightroom 6 to Lightroom Classic subscription on a new MacBookPro

7 hours ago, Allan Bell said:

Hi Mick, After checking disc usage I was surprised to find I only need 4 TB drive as there is still a lot of space on the disc. Two G-Tech drives ordered (One for backup) from Jigsaw. Should arrive in next couple of days.

Allan

Great Allan. I forgot to say that they are metal and built like tanks. They should last years I hope - so far so good with my ones from 2014.  

• Thanks 1

Well pooh. I got myself all revved up to order the computer even though I'm not ready to start on it. I figured it would be here for when I was ready. It turns out it is only available with 512GB storage. So I asked for notification when it is available. A shame because I've arranged to be home all day tomorrow for delivery. Plenty to do in the meantime. I keep making lists....

Paulette

26 minutes ago, NYCat said:

Well pooh. I got myself all revved up to order the computer even though I'm not ready to start on it. I figured it would be here for when I was ready. It turns out it is only available with 512GB storage. So I asked for notification when it is available. A shame because I've arranged to be home all day tomorrow for delivery. Plenty to do in the meantime. I keep making lists....

Paulette

Can you not get it direct from Apple? Or perhpas there is a general shortage. You can't upgrade the internal storage so 512 is on the small side but workable by using external SSDs as I mentioned before. 

EDIT: Looks like there is a waiting time of at least 4 weeks for most of these machines from Apple. I had to wait about a month when I ordered. 

Edited by MDM

Oh my. I like to use B&H because they have my sales tax exemption and it can make a big difference. Although I'm not sure it works for a computer. We'll see. They are generally good to deal with for fast shipping, etc. So I will just devote myself to getting everything I need onto an external drive so it is ready to go on the new machine.

Paulette

Continuing the G-DRIVE saga.

I have one of the two up and running with all files and folders transferred from the WD DUO drives.  Will be setting the other G-D up later today.  What I have noticed is the G-D is noisier than the WD Duo drives with a constant hum in the background which is going to drive me nuts. The duo drives were virtually silent running.

Will have to sort some sound deadening for the G-D's.

Allan

16 minutes ago, Allan Bell said:

I have one of the two up and running with all files and folders transferred from the WD DUO drives.  Will be setting the other G-D up later today.  What I have noticed is the G-D is noisier than the WD Duo drives with a constant hum in the background which is going to drive me nuts. The duo drives were virtually silent running.

Allan

I'm very surprised as I certainly can't hear my various Seagates and Toshes unless I hold them to my ear. And I'm not the least bit mutton either. Perhaps they are transmitting some vibration through the surface they're on.

12 minutes ago, Allan Bell said:

Allan

I am extremely noise-sensitive but I have not been bothered by these drives when I am working with them. They tend to make noise initially when they are caching the disk but that is more of a clicking sound than a hum. It might be exacerbated by the surface on which you have the drive. I would not cover them over as they would overheat. You have the option of returning them anyway within the statutory period if you don't like them. SSDs are completely silent but much more expensive.

Just now, MDM said:

I would not cover them over as they would overheat.

Mine are in a loose-fitting wallet (so I can transport them easily though I never do) with space around and something in between them and they don't get the least bit warm. But I only use them for archived catalogues and backups, my most recent few years stay on the PC. None is on for more than a few hours so I would probably do something else if they were up all the time.

1 minute ago, spacecadet said:

Mine are in a loose-fitting wallet (so I can transport them easily though I never do) with space around and something in between them and they don't get the least bit warm. But I only use them for archived catalogues and backups, my most recent few years stay on the PC. None is on for more than a few hours so I would probably do something else if they were up all the time.

Are they portable drives or mains driven? The ones Allan got are mains and they have vents which should not be covered over. I posted the previous at the same time as you and am wondering as you also said if the hum is mainly due to the surface on which they are placed. Perhaps some polystyrene from the box in which they came placed underneath would reduce any noise. 

1 hour ago, spacecadet said:

Portable. I didn't know anybody still bought mains drives.

You know what they say about learning something new every day.  From personal experience I have found these G-Technology desktop drives to be incredibly reliable, fast and extremely robust which is why I recommended them. My Western Digital portable drives (made by the same company) have proven to be much less reliable and they are significantly slower for use as working drives than equivalent USB-3 desktop drives. Portable SSDs are the best (and there are several flavours), completely silent and extremely fast but very expensive so not ideal as storage drives. 

31 minutes ago, MDM said:

You know what they say about learning something new every day.  From personal experience I have found these G-Technology desktop drives to be incredibly reliable, fast and extremely robust which is why I recommended them. My Western Digital portable drives (made by the same company) have proven to be much less reliable and they are significantly slower for use as working drives than equivalent USB-3 desktop drives. Portable SSDs are the best (and there are several flavours), completely silent and extremely fast but very expensive so not ideal as storage drives. 

As usual some of us seem to be in different places. I have never had problems with any external drive and don't notice speeds too much as I still have a USB2 machine. However I am still able to edit 2K off portable drives in Lightworks.

On top of that a 1TB (or now 2TB) portable drive is at a good price point for a Christmas or birthday present- that's how mine arrive😉. From what I see the drives you mention are quite a bit more expensive, although probably not per TB.

3 hours ago, Allan Bell said:

Allan

I've just checked one of mine and there is a hum when it is placed on the desk but it goes away when I lift it so it is due to the vibration within the desk itself. Try placing it on something that will prevent the vibration. 

2 minutes ago, spacecadet said:

As usual some of us seem to be in different places. I have never had problems with any external drive and don't notice speeds too much as I still have a USB2 machine. However I am still able to edit 2K off portable drives in Lightworks.

On top of that a 1TB (or now 2TB) portable drive is at a good price point for a Christmas or birthday present- that's how mine arrive😉. From what I see the drives you mention are quite a bit more expensive, although probably not per TB.

Yes. Time to get the rolls out (the wholemeal kind for lunch that is). 

4 hours ago, MDM said:

I've just checked one of mine and there is a hum when it is placed on the desk but it goes away when I lift it so it is due to the vibration within the desk itself. Try placing it on something that will prevent the vibration. 

I have not had time to sort the humming yet but have some non-slip rubber sheet in the garage. Will fish that out and try it underneath.

Almost got the second G-Drive completed. Transferred a lot of smaller content folders by hand from first G-Drive. At 17.30 hours CCC kicks in and it will take about 3 to 4 hours to copy the photo folders and files over.

Allan

Edited by Allan Bell

1 hour ago, Allan Bell said:

I have not had time to sort the humming yet but have some non-slip rubber sheet in the garage. Will fish that out and try it underneath.

Almost got the second G-Drive completed. Transferred a lot of smaller content folders by hand from first G-Drive. At 17.30 hours CCC kicks in and it will take about 3 to 4 hours to copy the photo folders and files over.

Allan

This has made me really conscious of the hum of my drive now. I've had to switch it off. Driving me nuts  🤣🤣 🤣

Actually I tend to use an SSD as a working drive these days, either an internal or external. I move the files when I am finished working on them and just relink them to the Lightroom catalog. 

Edited by MDM

16 hours ago, MDM said:

This has made me really conscious of the hum of my drive now. I've had to switch it off. Driving me nuts  🤣🤣 🤣

Actually I tend to use an SSD as a working drive these days, either an internal or external. I move the files when I am finished working on them and just relink them to the Lightroom catalog. 

SORRY.  😟

Allan

1 minute ago, Allan Bell said:

SORRY.  😟

Allan

No worries Allan. I tend to copy onto an SSD and turn off the desktop drive while working on images so the hum is not an issue. In any case, the builders are back next door ............It never ends. 

1 hour ago, MDM said:

No worries Allan. I tend to copy onto an SSD and turn off the desktop drive while working on images so the hum is not an issue. In any case, the builders are back next door ............It never ends. 

I solved the problem a my end.

Putting a piece of non-slip soft rubber did not solve the problem but have left it there. It was harmonics set up between the two drives. I had them both close to each other at one end of the shelf under the computer desk. Moving one away from the other by about the width of a drive unit quietened the background hum. Hardly hear them at all now.

Allan

How long are the builders going to be there?

ITMA

51 minutes ago, Allan Bell said:

I solved the problem a my end.

Putting a piece of non-slip soft rubber did not solve the problem but have left it there. It was harmonics set up between the two drives. I had them both close to each other at one end of the shelf under the computer desk. Moving one away from the other by about the width of a drive unit quietened the background hum. Hardly hear them at all now.

Allan

How long are the builders going to be there?

ITMA

The builders - who knows? Another 4 months at least I guess. They are now building an extension out the back so I can get away from the noise a bit by moving to the front of our house together with the usual noise-cancelling headphones and loud music to drown it out. Previously they were renovating the inside of the house and the noise was horrendous at times - knocking out the chimneys was the worst and I went away for most of that - it started back in July last. I had to quarantine for 10 days just after I got back so I could not get away at all and it was torture (literally). The hum of a disk is extremely mild in comparison.

• 3 weeks later...

Did not want or need to start another thread but this has a bearing on the question of buying new computers.

If I wanted to go to an Apple store I would have to travel to Sheffield, Leicester or Leeds. But we do have a Stormfront store and there is Currys both in Lincoln. As I was in town I called into the Stormfront Store, which is essentially an Apple store in all but name, as I wanted to know if they knew when the up to date 27" mac might be coming to the high street.  The gentleman I spoke to was quite helpful but could not give that information as they did not know themselves yet.  So I asked if he knew what the trade in value was likely to be for my old late 2013 27" iMac would be.  All he would do was point me to the Stormfront website and enter details there to get a quote.

So today I put in all the information I could or was asked for on the Stormfront site and received a quote.  WHAT! You are kidding me.   I think that is why he did not want to tell me in the shop/store. He did not want to be deafened by my outburst.

The trade in quote was, wait for it,  £88.00.   Yes you read it correctly  EIGHTY EIGHT POUNDS.  (US$118.80).  Just to check I went on another site called "Tradein"  and they offered  £140.00 which is not much better.

So if I do buy a new iMac, when they come out, I think it would make sense to use the old one as a second screen. Cheaper than another new screen and it would be available to fall back on as a fully working computer should the new one fail.

Allan

That has got that off my chest.

ITMA

Interesting, Allan. I got an email the other day from B&H and got all excited thinking it would say my laptop was available but it just said they will email me every two weeks to let me know. At least I won't have to worry that they have forgotten me.

Paulette