Photoshop CC - Finally, I couldn´t resist

Never really understood renting/leasing anything myself, sure when a teenager, but have owned everything since then. Surely wouldn't start now to think renting is a good plan, as it's pissing money away with nothing to show for it.

It's a basic business principle that you rent assets which depreciate over their life and buy assets that appreciate over their working life. It makes absolute sense to rent CC as opposed to having out of date software discs (or dls) on a shelf somewhere.

Also having fixed expenses per month are a great bonus in business. The cost of CC to me (£7.14 a month) is miniscule compared to other software that I have no choice in using.

There are lots of things in CC that have improved the use of PS, many are small but really useful. The biggest one for me is the raw filter, being able to bring a layer straight back into ACR - magic compared to old PS versions (bridge, right click etc etc). Also CC is less buggy for TIFFs than CS6 or 5. The latter two had issues with 'recognising' TIFFs from some software - 3D generated in my case and I would get the 'not enough RAM message' which was shorthand for 'what's this??'

Also the CC version is the extended one as standard, so lots more things to play with as compared to basic CS6.

There are lots of things in CC that have improved the use of PS, many are small but really useful. The biggest one for me is the raw filter, being able to bring a layer straight back into ACR - magic compared to old PS versions (bridge, right click etc etc). Also CC is less buggy for TIFFs than CS6 or 5. The latter two had issues with 'recognising' TIFFs from some software - 3D generated in my case and I would get the 'not enough RAM message' which was shorthand for 'what's this??'

Also the CC version is the extended one as standard, so lots more things to play with as compared to basic CS6.

I decided I would try the offer after reading this thread but I have to say I was pretty disappointed. I already have CS6 and Lightroom 4. For my purposes, there is not a lot in CC that was not in CS6. The ACR filter is interesting but it would be much better as an adjustment layer than a filter for non-destructive editing. As it is, if you want to apply ACR to a non-raw file, you can just do it non-destructively in Lightroom or ACR - adds a few seconds to the task but the advantage of it being non-permanent would outweigh the inconvenience. I don't need any of the features of the extended version - it would be fun to learn some new stuff but I can't see it having any application to my photography workflow.

So I decided to cancel my subscription. And I spent a very irritating hour and twenty minutes waiting to get through to somebody on the chat line early this morning as it is not possible to do this automatically. I eat my words from yesterday. Why it should require communicating with a live person is beyond me. A lot of companies seem to operate like this now - it's more difficult to leave than to join. I wished I had done the trial instead.

Lightroom 5 is not a major upgrade to Lightroom 4 but having converted my catalogue and previews to 5 yesterday, I figured I would just buy the upgrade for £57. So sticking with the old model for now. Undoubtedly I will have to upgrade eventually.

It's a good deal for any PS user with pre-CS5 I think and has been extended for another week.

I decided I would try the offer after reading this thread but I have to say I was pretty disappointed. I already have CS6 and Lightroom 4. For my purposes, there is not a lot in CC that was not in CS6. The ACR filter is interesting but it would be much better as an adjustment layer than a filter for non-destructive editing. As it is, if you want to apply ACR to a non-raw file, you can just do it non-destructively in Lightroom or ACR - adds a few seconds to the task but the advantage of it being non-permanent would outweigh the inconvenience. I don't need any of the features of the extended version - it would be fun to learn some new stuff but I can't see it having any application to my photography workflow.

You can use it non-destructively - you simply convert it for smart filters (a couple of items above the ACR filter) before you use the ACR filter.

For composites etc, it's so much easier than having to mess around using another software or a copy of the file or layer.

I've never used smart objects. Perhaps I'm missing something by not doing so - I came to an early conclusion when they were introduced that smart objects would not be too useful in my workflow. If I want to sharpen an image for printing I will just create a copy. I'm generally happy with alpha channels and curves adjustment layers for local adjustments in my images - I don't do any text, artwork or 3D in my images.

Creating a smart filter on my machine is also a fairly sluggish process. I also noticed that the CC smart sharpen is very slow in comparison to CS6 but it presumably offers something more refined. Again CS6 seems more than adequate for my purposes but Photoshop is so complex now that it's difficult to tell. 

Like others in this list, I had CS5 and LR3, and that was working. However, I took a new camera and LR (ACR) was supporting this new camera RAW, so finally upgraded to LR4 and CS6. I am fairly satisfied now, and hence not thinking about upgrading. However, at some point in the future, with some OS upgrades or other changes, if these software stop working, might need to move to the CC versions and onto the monthly payout one.

I've have LR% and CS6 since earlier this year. but I took the plunge (with gritted teeth mind you) to take up the LR/PS CC cloud offer.  Mainly to take up the $9.99/mth offer before it runs out.  Overall, it's quite good value at the discount price if moving from earlier versions of LR and PS. It may not be in my case but I hope I get a major upgrade within the next year to justify my decadence.

I'm playing this Cloud business an inning at a time.  (Do they have innings in cricket?) I use the latest version of LR5, 5.3, and I have CS5 and Capture NX2. I've never used all the possible power of PhotoShop. Since I only work with tiffs and jpegs and clean and polish and maybe to convert from tiff to jpeg, I won't be updating to CS6 or further forward. I'll stay with CS5 or get Elements.  And since I'm no longer a full-time active pro, I don't involve myself with all the social media that makes the Cloud attractive.  In retirement, I need to cut down where possible with all ongoing monthly expenses. So, at this time, my head is not in the Cloud.

I decided to go for it.

Before now all my work was Lightroom with ps elements for manipulation and nik for enhancements.

I have upgraded LR at every release (being an early R1 adopter). When you consider that most LR updates have been about £70.00 every 24 months (thats about 10 months of cloud). So using that 24 months upgrade cycle I'm only paying for 14 months over what i was before (about £100) and I'm getting the full PS..

I've never used smart objects. Perhaps I'm missing something by not doing so - I came to an early conclusion when they were introduced that smart objects would not be too useful in my workflow. If I want to sharpen an image for printing I will just create a copy. I'm generally happy with alpha channels and curves adjustment layers for local adjustments in my images - I don't do any text, artwork or 3D in my images.

Creating a smart filter on my machine is also a fairly sluggish process. I also noticed that the CC smart sharpen is very slow in comparison to CS6 but it presumably offers something more refined. Again CS6 seems more than adequate for my purposes but Photoshop is so complex now that it's difficult to tell. 

I do most of my pp in ACR.

I send to PS as a smart object for a couple of reasons.  If I decide I want to do some more editing in ACR  I can simply double click the smart object and it takes me back to ACR.

This is handy for masking tough items.

Say you want to mask the sky but there are some branches or other things tough to mask around. I turn blacks to full black then send to photoshop. Masking the sky is a lot easier. Then back to ACR to return the photo to its proper exposure then back to PS with the mask still in tact.

I had a little issue when upgrading with Nik Software.  Had to go back to Google (who now owns Nik Software) and ask them for the installation program so I could re-install Nik Software after the upgrade.  Not sure if anyone else had this issue.

I had a little issue when upgrading with Nik Software.  Had to go back to Google (who now owns Nik Software) and ask them for the installation program so I could re-install Nik Software after the upgrade.  Not sure if anyone else had this issue.

I had the same problem - it needed a re-install of Nik - but I had the .dmg (mac installation) file in my downloads folder and did a simple re-install from that no need to contact Google.

While thinking about using Adobe cloud products, my attention was diverted by an email from Adobe about a failing of security they had regards confidential customer data . . .

dd

While thinking about using Adobe cloud products, my attention was diverted by an email from Adobe about a failing of security they had regards confidential customer data . . .

dd

Which has nothing to do with using Adobe CC but is a consequence of being an Adobe customer - anyone who has bought from them online has an account with a CC attached, anyone who has downloaded trial software has an account.

Plenty of organisations get hacked, many don't disclose the fact. The only way to be completely safe from it is to never use the internet.

So password changed, I keep an eye on my CC bill for any suspicious purchases (as by the way does my CC company anyway) and I continue to use software that helps me run my business.

But if you buy CC, Adobe keep a record of your card details so that they can debit it every month. With one-off purchases though, that isn't necessary (though they may have done anyway - not sure, but hope not).

However, the most secure houses are usually the ones that have been burgled recently; I would hope that Adobe learnt a lesson from the debacle and increased their security considerably. I suspect that if it happens again, CC will quicly find itself with few customers.

I currently have Lightroom 4 and CS6, I signed up as the cost of upgrading to Lightroom 5 would be about 8/9 months of subscription. I haven't downloaded anything yet though.  What happens after 12 months if I cancel the subscriptions I wonder would my old licensed products still function or be dis-abled by a CC install?  And is it correct you can activate the Photoshop and lightroom cc twice? (it would be handy to have on both the desktop and laptop)

Thanks in advance if anyone can answer the above.

I had the same as you and decided to try it by similar logic but found that there was nothing in CC that I would use that I didn't already have in CS6. I cancelled the subscription the following day. Because I had converted my catalogue to Lightroom 5, I decided I would get the LR5 upgrade (£57) although I honestly cannot much benefit from that either. It doesn't seem to be any faster that 4.3, I am happy to correct perspective manually and I do all my spotting in Photoshop. 

Your CS6/LR4 products will continue to be usable indefinitely (the license is perpetual) but this will undoubtedly be eventually be determined by hardware or OS developments. They are not disabled by a CC install and I was able to uninstall without any detectable negative effects. You have always been able to activate PS on a desktop and laptop. With CC, I think you can activate on any two computers, even Win/Mac mixes which was not previously possible but you are not allowed to use the two at the same time according to the licence agreement. All this is available on the Adobe website FAQ.

I currently have Lightroom 4 and CS6, I signed up as the cost of upgrading to Lightroom 5 would be about 8/9 months of subscription. I haven't downloaded anything yet though.  What happens after 12 months if I cancel the subscriptions I wonder would my old licensed products still function or be dis-abled by a CC install?  And is it correct you can activate the Photoshop and lightroom cc twice? (it would be handy to have on both the desktop and laptop)

Thanks in advance if anyone can answer the above.

As mentioned, CC does not deactivate any earlier versions. I still have CS6 on my computer but now always use CC (it is better IMO).  I am still waiting for some agencies to update scripts for CC, so keep CS6 around for that.

I resisted the charms of LR for many years for processing  but with some work now (HDR work for clients) I now have a proper LR workflow, although I cannot bring myself to import direct from card.....that would just be a step too far :)

I always upgrade on the basis of one tool, if there is one item in the new version that makes my life easier, I upgrade.

Well since opting for the offer I downloaded Photoshop and Lightroom to the laptop no problem running windows 7.   However my desktop is vista and Lightroom 5 does not work with vista, so looks like I will have to upgrade my windows vista to 7 or 8.  Bit annoying as there was a beta version of lightroom 5 beta version running!

Archived